Flite Test Design Engagement Challenge

Ok so who’s all gonna be part of the challenge, head count!

• Total voters

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Oh that's awful. On the maiden of my biplane it took me the better part of a battery pack to figure out the erratic pitching wasn't a design problem, it was CG. (I'm new.) All it took was one cm of battery placement to fix it. It's unnerving to fly a plane I don't have complete control of. I don't ever want to experience THAT again.
“Dont have complete control” How about this no control of anything but throttle and pitch lol Youtube

bwarz

Master member
Miserable weather and lack of time has kept me grounded and thinking. Does it have to be swappable? I'm trying to figure out how to lighten it up just a bit and if I mod the power pod I can get the battery just a bit more forward. Swap out the 9g tail servos for 3.7g and see if I can move them a little more forward. If I absolutely have to, I'll add just a smidge to the length of the cowl, although I'd prefer not (yea I know they're just a mock up, but the look turned out just so cool :D) All to see if I can get away from the lots of added weight to the front of the cowl. I think I posted before - I got it in the air and flew a battery through it almost. I'm just nervous 'cuz it flies fast and stalls quick. Two landings in one piece though, so I think I'm on to something. Probably add more to the undercamber tips too. If this crappy weather keeps up I might just build another one and try some tweaks to the front design to make it easier to build....or just paint this one... or both;)

BTW, how's everyone else doing? The thread has been kinda quiet for a while!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Miserable weather and lack of time has kept me grounded and thinking. Does it have to be swappable? I'm trying to figure out how to lighten it up just a bit and if I mod the power pod I can get the battery just a bit more forward. Swap out the 9g tail servos for 3.7g and see if I can move them a little more forward. If I absolutely have to, I'll add just a smidge to the length of the cowl, although I'd prefer not (yea I know they're just a mock up, but the look turned out just so cool :D) All to see if I can get away from the lots of added weight to the front of the cowl. I think I posted before - I got it in the air and flew a battery through it almost. I'm just nervous 'cuz it flies fast and stalls quick. Two landings in one piece though, so I think I'm on to something. Probably add more to the undercamber tips too. If this crappy weather keeps up I might just build another one and try some tweaks to the front design to make it easier to build....or just paint this one... or both;)

BTW, how's everyone else doing? The thread has been kinda quiet for a while!
I’ve had lots of school lately so I haven’t gotten a chance to finish the F7F plans yet, but I’ll make time for them sometime soon.

The Fopster

Master member
In the closing stages getting my Miles Hawk Speed Six finished. Battery hatch done. Rest of poster board to do then undercarriage and paint! Nearly there!

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_163118786.jpg
    IMG_20201011_163118786.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20201011_163229093.jpg
    IMG_20201011_163229093.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20201011_165135295.jpg
    IMG_20201011_165135295.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20201011_171726167.jpg
    IMG_20201011_171726167.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

The Fopster

Master member
Hey is that scraps of basswood I'm seeing there? Loving that. (y)
Not sure what sort of wood - local hobby store sells packets of these thin but wide wooden sticks. They look like the things doctors use to hold you tongue down when they look in your throat. Just wanted something to stiffen the sides of the hatch, and it's worked really well. Feels very strong.