Flite Test: Destination Location Comments, Questions, Ideas, Etc!

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
A simulator section/pavilion would be nice. If the idea is to give people success building and flying, let them try out their plane in a sim before flying the thing they just built. While some of the veterans of the hobby may skip this, I imagine it could be a confidence booster for the new pilots.

ognom

almost left.

I started modelling in about 1968. I went from plastic models to 50 cent arf rubber powered models to k&b 40 size rc aircraft. In 1980 I was a member of a club, I was young and I didn't have a lot of money. " flying rc could be very expensive back then ". After all of the time I had put into the hobby and the money, club politics began to turn me away from the hobby I most loved. There were a group of people who had a different view for our club. And eventually their mantra convinced many of us who were young or not wealthy that our participation in the hobby was no longer wanted, not one club session was held or a function where you didn't hear the phrase, if they can't afford it then they need to go elsewhere. There wasn't a good option for that. So we left the hobby.

And so it was, until....... I saw on YouTube, what's that? You can't make an airplane that will fly from, what this stuff! Foam board? Radios were cheaper and you couldn't shoot someone on the same frequency down...YOU HAVE ELECTRIC MOTORS AND NO NASTY OIL TO CLEAN UP!,,,, So the opportunity to fly lone wolf opened back up. Again I can enjoy my hobby .....

The reason I'm writing all of this, with this idea you have developed, this vision for a family inclusive paradise, you are if your dream comes true planting the seeds of keeping my hobby accessible and keeping the entire family involved.. something that I believe deserves a resurgence.. and requires my thanks?...

Clint Scott

bigALUSMC

Well we were watching drone racing.....lol. The man cubs are hooked and want to give it a whirl. If you can touch on the subject more and brainstorm ideas for simple courses to run races on with the family. Keep up the great work..... and THANK YOU!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It would be great to see different areas dedicated to different types of flying, similar to how Flite Fest is arranged. Multi-rotors in one area, beginners in another, etc. Having the ability to use gas/nitro would also be a plus, as is parking near each flight line. Since this is currently a golf course, I'm guessing there are nice long open approaches which would be beneficial for those (like me) who fly giant scale. Covered work areas would also be a nice addition.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I second Ross's Comment for RV park and Camping area for out of staters. I know my trips will be with kids, Campout style. What better way to enjoy your time than to be right there! Plus you can recoup some cost.

I am Extremely excited by this. Everytime FF comes 'round I seem to be booked, or otherwise encumbered. This would allow my family to come when we have the time.

Maybe a SOLDERING 101 EDUCATION course for new quad builders. Ugg- soldering gets me every time. :black_eyed:

A drag Racing track, or Speed testing Station (see how fast my planes really go.) maybe have a FPV Plane Racing area (down ol' hole 15 around the drink shack and back on hole 17, circle around the big oak through the gap, repeat. While I'm not there yet, I hope to be soon.

a Firefighting Zone!? PLANES 2 style... I remember my grandma bringing me to Santa's Village outside of Chicago when I'd visit. and there was a ride where you'd board a Firetruck shoot water from mock hose that you could *sort of* controlled out the side and at the end of the ride, you come up to a building that was on fire, and you'd work hard at putting out the fire. when you left that ride - you were a Firefighter and had saved the day! (along with every other kid on the ride). What a great feeling

As an adult it would be so amazing to participate in an RC scale Forest fire situation. It would be fun to use some craft to get water from the lake, and try and put out a "blaze" set with gas jets on a little concrete home. Maybe have RC firetruck too, with cannon (fpv). A Bomb dropping course complete with "exploding" buildings. (for the FTFC WWII'18 craft)

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Just listened to the podcast, and I am totally blown away the scale of the ambition here! It will absolutely be a must visit place! I would love to see a few, mostly simple things. First off, a big, long, paved runway for the giant scale, EDF, and turbine guys. Maybe even a geotex auxilary runway for smaller planes, and a helipad area for choppers. Charging areas for each, and some shelter canopies to shade your gear. I love the idea of someday adding a full scale runway as well! Would be a true heaven on earth for us aviation nuts :D.

BimmerRC

Congratulations! This makes me so happy that the dream is in sight. I will be praying for its success.

I definitely love the camping concepts for sure. A camp area that is flexible is key. Nice spaced out camping for general through the year use. And then an Alpha/adapted layout that would work when you have Flite Fest to really cram people in. Having nice paved paths for the camping would really aid in protecting for inclement times for campers.

FIRST POST!

What about charging stations running off of alternative energy (solar, wind, etc...). Try and keep the hobby green while being a good steward of the earth and such

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
So . . . now one of all our best friends will soon own a golf course . . .

Who's up for a Glider-golf tournament at the next FTFF ;)

Josh Bixler

It is hard to express how much joy reading these comments and suggestions brings me and the crew. Some quick answers.....

Yes! Camping both primative and RV hook up is a must. goal will be to have both styles of camping around each unique flight line. Shower house and flush toilets too. We want to make it clean and nice.

Multiple flight lines for all aspects of flight. gas, DLG, Park flyer, large scale, FPV for both plane and quad, float, and full scale/ppg

goal will be to have camping areas be connect so the different flight lines can be easily accessed and the community can stay close to each other.

work shops and training courses scheduled around the year for all aspects of flight

Cray builds with FT Family

RC car track, rock crawler, and watercraft

World class Quad course that has plug in stations and monitors

Year one will be the building and renovation phase 18 hole golf is still going on execpt for open houses and community work days
Year 2 is when open flying and 2 flying areas are opened up. One fixed wing and one quad. 15 hole golf still goes on.
Year 3 is when half of golf course is opened up for more runways, camping, and ammenities 9 hole golf still goes on.
End of year 3 Is when we have access to full 120 acres for the full vision of FT Destination location to be developed. No more golf.

I would love to answer any questions you may have. It is honestly a dream come true for Jen and I and I want it to be the same for our awesome FT Family!

Thanks again everyone!
JB

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well where the garbage do I sign up for a community work day! Pretty sure you could recruit folks for get-togethers/ work days. Make the work fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Whilst I may never visit I would recommend the inclusion of a bungee launch ramp setup for those flying Gliders and EDFs.

have fun!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Josh, it is so good to see you on the forums again!

I love your vision, and I think it is exactly what we need.

Being inclusive and getting the public involved is awesome, and the quad track may help with the whole "drone" scare!

Thank you for all you have done to help this hobby!

Abe

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I would love to answer any questions you may have. It is honestly a dream come true for Jen and I and I want it to be the same for our awesome FT Family!

Thanks again everyone!
JB
Josh,

Thanks for dropping in with the update!

Are you able to tell us the name of the course or general location?

Cheers!
LitterBug