Flite Test FAILURE!! Y-6 Debacle :[

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Do not show your kids this episode. Do not try this at home. David had to go home because he was a bad influence on us.

This is proof that we are not experts or very intelligent...
FLITE TEST Y6 FAILURE! :p

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
I can't stop laughing at the look on Josh Bixler's face. It's like he's thinking... "Who'll sign the paychecks if Chad dies?"

Just kidding Josh ;)

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Might should have tried with just that much weight before attaching a plane. I am glad no one got hurt!

earthsciteach

Beautiful. Yet another bit of evidence toward the fact that guys stop maturing around age 16. I stopped at about 14.

sandblaster

Why did you not take off from the ground behind or in front of the plans and add more line if needed. Would be a really neat visual experience if you could make it work. Or set a pickup loop on a raised pipe/ladder/ or??? and catch the loop with a hook once in the air and stablished. Worth a re-do but with a little more safety in mind.

Does not the weight of the plane increase in proportion to the wind load i.e downdraft, on the wings? Maybe you need to pick the plane up by the noise or tail so you are not fighting the wing load weight of the down draft. Or maybe a lot longer lines to get the plane away from some of the downdraft force. Maybe that is one reason in the 1 to 1 world they have such long pick up leads.

I vote for a re-do. Great ideal, just refine it as needed.

teflyer

Full Circle
Why did you not take off from the ground behind or in front of the plans and add more line if needed. Would be a really neat visual experience if you could make it work. Or set a pickup loop on a raised pipe/ladder/ or??? and catch the loop with a hook once in the air and stablished. Worth a re-do but with a little more safety in mind.

Does not the weight of the plane increase in proportion to the wind load i.e downdraft, on the wings? Maybe you need to pick the plane up by the noise or tail so you are not fighting the wing load weight of the down draft. Or maybe a lot longer lines to get the plane away from some of the downdraft force. Maybe that is one reason in the 1 to 1 world they have such long pick up leads.

I vote for a re-do. Great ideal, just refine it as needed.

I also think a look at this idea again is worth a try. Maybe with a smaller plane and the Y6 copter actually attached to the plane. I think with string, the weight, the plane, can shift around too easily and create an extreme pendulum effect. Since the plane is much heavier an the copter, the plane has more inertia, basically pulling around the Y6 when the plane begins to swing.

Here is an RC group post with a similar idea.
RC Groups-Quadcopter Lifting Super Chipmunk

Here is the actual video in the post.

Klonas

:D
Chad held those props so close to his throat...
But. I guess that's ok. As Josh S. once said:
"It's flitetest"
:D

fred0000

seemed very dangerous, longer lines and taking off from the ground as was said is a MUCH better idea, and I also think it's worth a re-do, with the downdraft of the copter "adding weight" to the plane (so to speak) the longer lines might eliminate some of that and it may be possible.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
What a crack up Chad . . you have nerves of steel buddy!

BTW: PLEASE DON'T DO THIS AGAIN!
Let me explain why. Firstly I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself but more importantly . . . it would delay FliteTest Video releases :) You know we won't survive without our FliteTest :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
That chipmunk video was posted here before, and it came to mind when I saw this, but I didn't have time to look for it.

And if you check rcexplorer.se you'll see how nicely the copter is made!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Funniest episode EVER!!!! I love the commentary. I think this can and should be done, just not like that lol. When we sling load things from real helicopters, we attach to a hovering helicopter or like people have said, use a long enough cable to attach while both are on the ground. There's a teensy bit of calculation that goes on before the lift though lol.

BigDon

The funniest thing is that not only did we all know it had the potential to mame and kill....they did before they tired it and still went through with it....lol.

FliteTest could so easily have got it's first entry at darwinawards.com!!!