Flite Test fans are amazing

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
This is not news to me and I know it's been said before, but I feel compelled to say it again. Flite Test fans are amazing. The spirit of kindness, help and generosity that permeates this community is remarkable and will never cease to amaze me. Whether it's due to the type of fans FT attracts or the example FT sets doesn't matter, the point is I can think of few groups that have managed to so consistently amaze me with their incredible showing of genuine friendship and family even to those whom they've only met virtually.

I've experienced this before several times with FT fans offering me support both moral through messages and physical through the mail. But it was driven home yet again yesterday by a combination of surprises.

First I checked my mailbox and found a package from an address in FLA I recognized as belonging to forum member Twitchity who has been building and selling his own multirotor frames that are often discussed in the multirotor forum. I've assisted him with designing power distribution boards for them and was privileged to get to beta build his 250 acro quad design. I've been thinking about ordering a new quad frame from him as my prototype is G10 and I've finally found the limits of what that material can handle and he now has a CF version that should solve the performance limit I've hit. I thought perhaps he had decided to surprise me with that frame on credit for the holidays - but what I found inside was even more mind blowing.

It wasn't the 250 quad frame I thought it may be...it was one of his full blown CF hex frames complete with power board!

10878459_10152451143106805_323781870_o.jpg

10876818_10152451564246805_1606296180_o.jpg

My first suspicion was that he simply made a mistake and printed a shipping label for me instead of whoever ordered it...but looking at the box the address was hand written so that theory was out the window :D A few quick PM's confirmed that it was indeed for me but that I needed to direct the bulk of my thanks to forum member Cranialrectosis - who I already felt in debt to for the KISS ESC's he had sent me. I did find it odd that he sent me 6 knowing they were for a quad but I figured that was just because he was pretty sure a few would end up in smoke based on the frustrations he had been having that led to him giving up on them. I guess he just got impatient waiting on me to save up enough to build a hex myself since he's been gently suggesting to me for some time that I do so ;)

To both of you - thank you more than I can adequately express. This frame is incredible and I only hope I can do it and your generosity the honor they deserve with the build (once I figure out what bits will be going on it!)

But my day of FT inspired surprises was not to end there! I got a text message shortly after finding the box in my mail from local FT fan Joe (who's username is his e-mail address and I believe he's hoping to have that changed so I'll just refer to him as Joe rather than by username.) who I met up with to fly a few weeks ago. I've felt bad that I haven't been able to spend as much time addressing his questions as I would like to because I've been busy with family from out of town the past two weeks. So when he sent me a message yesterday I figured we'd finally have time to sit down and talk planes and electronics a bit. But no, it turned out he just wanted to surprise me as well:

10864333_10152454782371805_1611625773_o.jpg

Wow! This thing is gorgeous! I'm almost scared to fly it! Puts my builds to shame! (And yes, I believe I spoke those exclamation points when he presented it to me :D ) Joe - we need to get together to fly more because your builds are incredible and deserve more time in the sky! I love my plain unpainted Scout that I built and can't wait to put my pod into this guy and watch him soar!

Flite Test - congratulations. THIS is the kind of community you've created and you should be very proud of yourselves for it! I am genuinely humbled and inspired by this showing of generosity. Not only am I extremely thankful but I'm left wondering what I can do to keep this going and help inspire and assist others myself. I've had a rough year with a number of major problems my family has endured - yet I know they're nothing compared to what other families are having to deal with. I truly hope that my attempts to pay this forward to others will inspire them as much as those who've been so generous to me has inspired me.

To those who've made this community possible and those who make it up - thank you for what you've created and may you all have as Merry of a Christmas as I and my family are experiencing!

10844627_10152454790666805_1738612606_o.jpg

Oh - and to those of you "lurkers" who read but don't take part. Believe me. Even if you don't think you have anything to contribute - you do. Don't be shy! Join in and take part in this community and you too will be amazed at what you get out of it. As impressive as this hardware is it's nothing compared to the far more valuable knowledge and friendships I've gained from this forum - but those are a LOT harder to get photos of :D

(not to end on a negative note...but bah humbug to the forum software for not allowing "thanks" as a tag :D)

earthsciteach

100% agreed, man. The community that has built around FT is amazing! If at all possible, get to FTFF2015. It is such an amazing time! It is not just an RC flying event. That is the least of what it is. It is a homecoming of friends and family of this community. It is such a very special thing!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Agreed! Thank you to the forum members! Even when I'm grounded and snowed under with homework, a quick look at the forum can really brighten my day.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Jhitesma, you forgot one important community member in your acknowledgment - yourself. Because that's what you get for being an awesome, helping and inspiring member of the community. :)

And because of that I especially like the "But wait, there's more..." ;-)

Hoyteq

I just stumbled upon the channel on youtube last week or so, and I've been hooked ever since, just watching the vids and seeing the guys at the meets and the interaction between them and the people at the meets was great to see, make me think about going to one of their events

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Jhitesma, you forgot one important community member in your acknowledgment - yourself. Because that's what you get for being an awesome, helping and inspiring member of the community. :)

I had to add that part because honestly ... what surprises me the most is I don't feel like I contribute enough considering what I get back :eek: I still find it hard to believe anyone finds me inspiring :D

But that's kind of why I had to share. Even if you're a noob (I only built my first quad October/November of 2013!) you still have things worth sharing because there's always going to be someone even newer behind you who will gain from your experiences. I know a lot of people are hesitant to get involved in an on-line community because they're too shy, or too scared of being put down for making a mistake or just not being as knowledgeable as those who've been around longer. There are places where that happens, but not here. Every contribution is welcomed and appreciated. And the more you contribute the more you get back!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I had to add that part because honestly ... what surprises me the most is I don't feel like I contribute enough considering what I get back :eek: I still find it hard to believe anyone finds me inspiring :D

You shouldn't feel that way, because I tried at least two different flight controllers because of your threads and I'm working on a GPS module too which I put off for now because I was a little intimidated with all the different modules and the "programming" that is/was required to get them working with the controllers. I've also got a lot of ideas on different parts of building...

I know I can just try everything, because there are people here that can and will help. If they don't know it already, they will at least look and help fiddling around.

It is an awesome community to be part of.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Ah ha, you did get your name changed :D Those look great Joe! I need to talk to you about your build techniques, the accuracy is incredible - way better than I've achieved with foam so far.

Was tempted to fly the scout this morning...but was worried it was too windy for the mini's. Still flew my own mini's since I didn't care about messing them up and they did great. Also got to give my friend Alex his first try with an RC Plane. He has a pilots license and has flown quads but had never tried a plane before. He took to it like a fish to water and was doing loops and tight turns like a seasoned pro after just a few seconds on the sticks :D He was blown away by how much fun these little foamies are. I have a feeling he'll be building himself a few when he goes back to school in a few weeks ;)

If you're back in town on Friday the three of us should get together. Unfortunately he left his TX at school but I may dust off my old FM radio so we can put a couple in the air together. Would be a blast having three up at once. But build yourself a basher - I have a feeling there may be combat and your builds are too pretty for me to want to hit :D

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

Fun you said basher. I've been waiting on the Bloody Baron to be released. I'll put a few Bloody Wonders together and I have an extra 5dxi we can use. I'll be in town after the 28th. We'll catch up then. Clear Skies, Calm Winds. Merry Xmas to all.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Cool, will get in touch then. Unfortunately that's when Alex goes back to school, so now three way combat unless we can find someone else :D

FliteTestFlyer

The Flite Test Community is the best, it really is. I also made this extended version of supa Fly if you like the song your love this. I dont want to offend in Flite Test in any way by looping their song. I was just tired of hitting the replay button.

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor

Yeah, that "there's more" makes more sense now :) Add Balu to the list of FT fans who are to blame for the scrape marks on the bottom of my jaw:

10884045_10152459353866805_1220700737_o.jpg

10864174_10152459366951805_722912231_o.jpg

That would be the CF bits to upgrade my Twitchity Quad from it's current G10 frame :applause:

I had been planning on doing this upgrade myself right after Christmas - but then when the hex showed up decided it would have to be a few more months before I could do the upgrade since gear for the hex pushed the CF bits down on my wish list.

Guess now I need to budget for 8 new good motors instead of 6 ;)

Going to make it harder for me to try and find a weak point as far as durability in the G10 frame ;)

I seriously can't thank you all enough for this amazing show of thanks and generosity. Guess I really do need to at least buckle down and distill some of my posts into articles (it will give me something to do while I gather parts for these amazing frames!) :D

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Phew! That's a lot of building to get to! Enjoy and glad to hear of such great spirit of sharing!