Flite Test Flite Fest - early roll call

Splatwillicrash

I did PM ya, Hope you got it. I know everybody is really busy, But I am trying to plan my whole trip, which Flite Fest is a major but not the only part of. (hoping to bust loose to go up to Cedar Point for a day afterwards for a bucket list item). Anyway, As I have said, I will be in the area early, Late Tuesday Afternoon or Wed morning. Except for finding a place to set up the RV (27' with generator) I am at FT's disposal for a good portion of this event. I of course do want to participate in whatever fun we can, but I do want to make sure FT gets all the help it needs.

Any idea of the schedule or what someone arriving early can do to help? I can run errands if someone loans a car, run a chalk cart if your marking spots..... whatever. But I really need to start planning, I leave in 8 days....

Oh BTW I have not gotten the Top Secret Message info......

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hey Matt, yes, I got your PM.

I've cleared my PM box again… that thing fills up fast. So I apologize if folks have tried to contact me and couldn't.

The schedule is still fluid, but there is one. We'll be going over it on Thursday, then each morning at the volunteer meetings.

As of now the Flite Test crews will not be hosting anyone prior to Thursday. The facility we're using is also someone's home and yard. We're very fortunate we're being allowed the access we are. It wouldn't be fair to impose upon that hospitality more than they've already agreed to.

flitefest.com has the local lodging information. I think there's a section dedicated to hotels, and there's information about camping in the FAQ section.

Can't wait to see everyone there.

-Fred

Splatwillicrash

Early Camping

Hey Matt, yes, I got your PM.

I've cleared my PM box again… that thing fills up fast. So I apologize if folks have tried to contact me and couldn't.

The schedule is still fluid, but there is one. We'll be going over it on Thursday, then each morning at the volunteer meetings.

As of now the Flite Test crews will not be hosting anyone prior to Thursday. The facility we're using is also someone's home and yard. We're very fortunate we're being allowed the access we are. It wouldn't be fair to impose upon that hospitality more than they've already agreed to.

flitefest.com has the local lodging information. I think there's a section dedicated to hotels, and there's information about camping in the FAQ section.

Can't wait to see everyone there.

-Fred

Thanks Fred,

No worries, just wanted to let you know it was full. :p

I am trying to contact that campground nearby but it seems they are always on the phone. Will try again tomorrow morning. I understand and agree we are lucky to be able to use "Furey Field" for this event and I did not want to impose, I was only asking since I was not sure if they were going to start doing any setup activities on WED I would have been there ready to go. No worries at all I can find someplace to park the thing overnight even if it is a Walmart Parking Lot, I have over-nighted in plenty of those in the past. In fact that might not be a bad idea. I need to do a bit of shopping anyway....

I can also assume they will have a lot of stuff to haul out there from FTHQ in North Canton, I have Me, Myself and I in a 30' motor home so I can also haul a fair amount of bulky stuff out to Furey Field and even run errands for folks if needed. My personal auto insurance covers me fully for any car I drive so if someone needs me to do airport or Bus Station duty I can make that happen as well, but I would prefer not to do that in a 30' MH if you catch my drift.

To repeat (please note smile and friendly tone included) I specifically came in a couple days early to help the FT crew any way I can for the event, even if that involves driving a lawn tractor for 8 hours a day across Furey Field, or hauling a truckload of trash cans to the site. I must admit I may draw the line at scrubbing porta potties, but short of that, I am there early to do anything up to and including running the laser cutter if they trust me not to set FTHQ on fire. (can't do much worse than David in that regard now can I".... lol. This would free up people that are more essential and have a clue what is going on to do things other than babysit a laser cutter. (I use one at my local Hacker Lab so I am familiar with em).

Anyway, I am basically in the area Late Tuesday afternoon or early evening, and am at FT's disposal.

It is gonna be a blast!!

Matt:cool: OMG I have overused the emoticons again....

BigGary

Leaving home Friday morning and hoping to make it before noon. My dad, son and I are all planning on staying through Sunday. This is also my first RC flying event that wasn't at the local field. I will be more ready to be on the volunteer list for next year.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Leaving home Friday morning and hoping to make it before noon. My dad, son and I are all planning on staying through Sunday. This is also my first RC flying event that wasn't at the local field. I will be more ready to be on the volunteer list for next year.

Maybe we'll put together a sign up sheet at the event for volunteers for next year.

I don't want to think about that yet though… ;)

cdraptor

I will be there. I will be bringing a new mini frame from Thrust-UAV.com with me - the HyperLite 275. I will have my Lynxmotion Hunter Vtail mini, Titan Tricopter and some others, as well as various parts. Not sure what I will be bringing in terms of the planes yet - see what fits in our SUV

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Some of us are here on site and things are looking great! The big tent is up, campers are already lining up along the flight line. We've shared some time around the camp fire and there may or may not have been a crash or two already.

rossmort

Starting my drive today. Already replacing one tire and it's 730am...hopefully just getting the delays out of the way on the front side of this and will have smooth sailing from now on!

Team_Monkey

Everything is loaded and the camper is hooked up. I need to put in a solid day of work, get some projects uploaded and I'm hoping to leave by 4:45. I work from home so I can leave almost as soon as I log off work.

We're camping off site (Mama decided to come along and wanted campground amenities.) but I'll be there tonight to set up the pit tent. Swing by the green tent with solid walls and say high!

Hey fellow Monkey, I traded an email with Austin yesterday but please put a bug in their collective ear about having a community smaller size fire for roasting s'mores, hot dogs and such for the kids. Thanks!

Last edited:

crash bandicoot

Leaving today at 1pm with my Grandpa, who wanted to come along. Then going to St Louis tonight to pick up my dad. After that getting to Malvern Friday afternoon.

Todd Optional

Ugh!!! I had to cancel may trip to FF :( ... I'm soooooo bummed :( .... I'll be watching on the live feed tho... And if you were looking for a hotel in the area and couldn't find one, theirs an opening at Days Inn Carrollton for ya :black_eyed:...