Flite Test FT ESC series - Firmware?

Mad_Mechanic

So it looks like Flite Test is in the process of releasing a new series of Flite Test branded ESCs. So far they have released two: 20A and 35A.

The 35A is now the ESC for the new Power Pack C V2.

The 20A is available to buy, but does not appear to be standard as part of a power pack (yet), but is listed for use with Power Pack A and F motors.

Now, my question is this: what firmware is Flite Test shipping on these ESCs?

So far Flite Test has been shipping EMax BLHeli ESCs in power packs, which obviously use the BLHeli firmware, but the store listings for the FT ESCs doesn't mention anything about firmware or programming.

I would like to think that these ESCs will use BLHeli, but I also don't like to make assumptions.

Here are links to the store pages for these ESCs.

20A
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-ft-20a-esc-w-xt30-connector-flt-3037/p846363

35A
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-ft-35a-esc-w-xt60-connector-flt-3038/p846364

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would take a wild guess and say they are rebranded / reworked Emax escs.

Best thing to do is connect one to blheli suit or blheli configurator which ever will talk to them and read the current firmware.

Even finding which program can talk to them could tell you alot.

Mad_Mechanic

If someone here has one of these new Flite Test ESCs and is willing to plug it into BLHeli suit or BLHeli config, let us know the result!

I don't actually own one of these ESCs yet and I don't really want to buy one just to find out. Once we know the firmware package I will update my spreadsheets with the info.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i agree. you would think with all this new stuff that they would post some real numbers. weights, max watts, thrust, all of these would be greatly appreciated and yet somehow are completely missing.

me :cool:

Mad_Mechanic

On that note, some years ago during the beginner series of videos, Josh Bixler specifically stated that the good brushless motor brands will publish prop thrust charts to help you pick a motor and propeller for your application.

Neither Emax nor FliteTest publish prop thrust charts for their motors. Oh the irony there.

However, I have recently become a bit of a fan of Cobra motors. The prices are reasonable and they publish really nice prop thrust charts.

moret

If someone here has one of these new Flite Test ESCs and is willing to plug it into BLHeli suit or BLHeli config, let us know the result!

I don't actually own one of these ESCs yet and I don't really want to buy one just to find out. Once we know the firmware package I will update my spreadsheets with the info.
I see the BLHeli software I can download but as yet I have not found what hardware is needed to connect the PC to the ESC I have one of the 35 amp ESC. To quote Schultz, "I know nothing". Never have "talked" to an ESC

Verris

You need a programmer, an arduino, or a flight controller that has passthrough. I found an old flight controller I used to use for this but its not working with the flite test esc. Going to try another esc.

Verris

1557779021633.png

Yikes, they are for sure rebranded emax escs, with an old firmware.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The best part about the Emax "BLHeli" ESC's is that they run their own version of BLHeli, and they require a modification to be able to update the firmware. They may sell a programmer now, but I remember there was a thread on RCGroups that detailed the mods necessary to get it to work. Definitely not trivial.

Brett_N

You can re-program them very easily with a simple arduino board. Even the $5 Nano's will work for this. Only takes 2 wires, UART and GND. BLHELI will even setup the arduino for programming the ESC.

Mad_Mechanic

Excellent, so now that we know these are BLHeli ESCs, I will update my spreadsheets to reflect this new information.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this mystery.

zuult

The gate keeper of Gozer.
How were you able to get the BLHeli Suite to read the FT ESC I am having no luck. Using 4way with Arduino UNO and get zip. What pins are you using on the Arduino and did you have to solder to the ESC directly?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
How were you able to get the BLHeli Suite to read the FT ESC I am having no luck. Using 4way with Arduino UNO and get zip. What pins are you using on the Arduino and did you have to solder to the ESC directly?

See post 12. I believe @Brett_N posted what to connect.

chrisvdv

Have a look at this video. It explain the process.