FLITE TEST GIVEAWAYS! - Tell us YOUR THOUGHTS!

Ross

So folks in the forums that repeatedly help others that come for help don't support the cause?

No that's not what I meant to say, the store is the financial engine that keeps it going and growing.
i was attempting to provide an alternative to an open Facebook campaign. Didn't mean to offend anyone..

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
No offense. I see lots of forum members consistently helping new members and I think they should be recognized for their efforts. They help the community as well.

Crazy Goats

My only suggestion, keep away from Facebook only giveaways. Relying too heavily on Facebook limits the distribution of your stuff. How many followers and potential followers don't have FB?

AGREED. This was my worry when I saw the title. I don't have FB and am guessing many more don't. I don't know what goes on on FB with the FT crew, but I think it would be cool if they did giveaway/contest announcements here on the forum as well as evryplace else.

One thing you could do is have people from the forum submit potential names for the next released FT product. Maybe give a preview of some of the characteristics? Or something like that. And the winner gets their submitted name on the next plane as well as a giveaway from the store.

I would like to see more of the old-FT contest that were super cool. Pick a few people who have been helpful in the forum and have the FT crew fly "for" them in a competition. Maybe a huge glider golf tournament? I'd like to see some cool FPV wing racing like the old woggle course vid.

Maybe there could be certain contests (personal design based) aimed primarily at youth. It would give them (hehe us) extra motivation to come up with new ideas and planes to really push the limits of foam.

That's all I can come up with for now..

Last edited:

Crazy Goats

For special gifts I think you want something that shows off at the field. A FliteTest Taranis or Spektrum radio all in black and white with Gremlins on it or special run of a popular foam plane with FliteTest colors and gremlins already printed on the parts. I think for special gifts you want something to really pop at the field.

For just regular giveaways, T-Shirts and Sweatshirts and hats show off the brand at the grocery store. It's an icebreaker that starts a conversation with people who have never flown and aren't likely to see the cool stuff.

EDIT:
Facebook is for plastic people.

I agree with your special gifts idea. But who would be in the special category? I think it would be good if it had to do with helpfulness/activeness on the forum. Lots of special people here like Psy and CR and Teach and Sponz and Dan to name a few.

EDIT: You mean like lego people?;)

Crazy Goats

I reckon you should do some giveaways on the forum only (some people don"t have FB or are kids with parents that don"t let them use it. As for what to giveaway what about some boxes of foam? I think that would be awesome because for so many of us foamboard is really hard to get.

Yeah good idea! It's super hard for me to find good foam.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Let me be devils advocate here. I don't like giveaways. You always "hurt" more people than you please, the ones not winning will be jealous of the ones that do, people will cheat in all ways you can imagine, a lot of them will start complaining that the giveaways are rigged, etc.

It can be a difficult mine field.

And as much as I'd love to win stuff myself - if I'd ever do, people will tell me I only won because I am "affiliated" with Flite Test.

That said. I love the idea of rewarding active community members. Perhaps do a random selection of people who got articles published in a time period or similar.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is the exact reason I avoid social media like its a disease. Its the most unsocial place on the whole planet. There are all kinds of ways to promote FT and reward members but no matter how its done someone will ALWAYS put the effort down. I do not think so much here on the forums as that's not how we roll. But in social media Oh yeah there's gonna be a LOT of bad things going on as with anything that gets put on it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Giveaways... Hmmmm.... been thinking this over trying to come up with something.... I would be inclined to reach out more to schools, scout troops, and other youth groups to bring practical knowledge into the hands of our up and coming kids. Would be cool to convert or develop a couple models to control line, rubber band powered, and free-flight too....

Cheers!
LitterBug

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Hey guys!

Thanks so much for all the comments and ideas etc! We are looking at making the FORUMS a solid place to use a platform for these different giveaways etc. We may still use FB at times, but this is mainly for FORUM/COMMUNITY site oriented situations!

Moving forward me and the crew we will be taking the feedback and strategizing different options to move forward. We also are looking at OBVIOUSLY having a WINNER for the giveaway, but ALSO allowing for all entries etc to have a stake in it as well...(meaning percentages off planes, shirts, etc) so that it is NOT JUST ONE WINNER, but EVERYONE wins kind of thing!

So, keep the ideas and thoughts comin and I will keep everyone posted on what we do FIRST! ha

Blessings and thanks for all your hard work!

Stefan

LitterBug

Techno Nut
but ALSO allowing for all entries etc to have a stake in it as well...(meaning percentages off planes, shirts, etc) so that it is NOT JUST ONE WINNER, but EVERYONE wins kind of thing!

Stefan

How about a discount on the free plans.... ;-) Love everything y'all do! Keep up the great work!

Cheers!
LitterBug

FlyingFoam

I think ft has already made fixed wing super accessible with the free plans using relatively cheap electronics. FPV on the other hand is still super expensive. The FT solution to this has been the gremlins so I think you should keep promoting that. Give away power packs, feature community designs and stuff like that. I also thought the fpv goggles, even used old ones is a good idea because they are the biggest hurdle to getting into FPV. I also think the forums are the best place to do a giveaway because most ft enthusiasts have an account here and most people just looking for random free stuff won't bother to make an account here.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
CARD GAME: Foam Board Planes

How about a CARD GAME: Foam Board Planes?

attachment.php

Take a look in this Thread: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?34748-CARD-GAME-Foam-Board-Planes

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I think the FT business cards could be coupons with promo codes (promo codes which would be associated with a community memeber) so that whoever spreads the hobby most (which can be tracked by the promo code) could receive a gift. Or, if the top sellers are close in numbers they could be entered into a drawing for a prize. This can occur monthly or quarterly and perhaps something special for the year. I suppose once someone wins something they would be out of it for a time while others continue in the running.

I'd like to see something you can't buy... Like:

- An afternoon of flying with the FT gang.

- Lunch or dinner with the FT gang.

- A personal tour of FT HQ and production centers.

- A guest appearance in an FT video.

Granted, these things require one's presence in Ohio, but could be scheduled around Flite Fest.

Last edited:

nwnugget

I think the FT business cards could be coupons with promo codes (promo codes which would be associated with a community memeber) so that whoever spreads the hobby most (which can be tracked by the promo code) could receive a gift. Or, if the top sellers are close in numbers they could be entered into a drawing for a prize. This can occur monthly or quarterly and perhaps something special for the year. I suppose once someone wins something they would be out of it for a time while others continue in the running.

A gym I belonged to for a while did this. They ended up getting a bunch of calls from restaurants when people dumped the cards in the "Put your business cards in here for a free lunch." jar. Not for free lunches or training, but to ask them to stop.

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Hey Everyone!

I love all the thoughts on the FT giveaways!! We are actually in the process of having one happen through the forums this week possibly! So, that being said I will be needing everyones help to spread the word once it gets announced. We will probably also do FACEBOOK and instagram and all those social media outlets at some point too... but I really wanted to do stuff through the forums because I believe it is such an integral part of the FT way of life. SO, that is the biggest reason for doing it. We will continue to use the forums for these and many other things moving forward that are separate from Social Media!

I will keep you all posted, but be on the lookout for the announcement sometime this week!

Blessing and thanks so much for your feedback!!

Stefan