FLITE TEST GIVEAWAYS! - Tell us YOUR THOUGHTS!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
PPG is like the lottery to me. They say all you need is a dollar and a dream. I always seem to have one or the other.. never both at the same time.. Paragliding goes on that "Sigh if only list" along with many many other things hehe.

nwnugget

PPG is like the lottery to me. They say all you need is a dollar and a dream. I always seem to have one or the other.. never both at the same time.. Paragliding goes on that "Sigh if only list" along with many many other things hehe.

I mean, if PPG ever needed a commercial, seeing the looks on the faces of the FT guys after their first flights sold me. It is time to start storing dollar bucks away in the hopes that one day I can do it. My grandma snowbirds right outside of Lake Wales so I am in the area more than a few times a year.

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Praise to JimCR120 and PsyBorg

Stefan: Regardless of how you structure your giveaways, please send something to JimCR120 and PsyBorg for their continued help with forum members. Both consistently go over and above trying to help forum members. I've ran forums for years and know firsthand that folks like this are vital to its existence and should be acknowledged. :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Promotional gifts, (AKA Give-aways), have a target audience and a goal. Massive gifting programs can adversely effect business as limited gifting also can generate adverse public opinion mostly among those that miss out or do not qualify.

Best programs are those that provide incentive for the recipients to engage with the promoted company or service, increase their purchases as well as increase the business's customer base.

Whilst FT could distribute tons of FB kits, trinkets, and the like most would amount to very little in the long term.

To promote the hobby, Flitetest, and the FT store some lateral thinking into increasing the number of customers provides a few ideas as to what could be "Gifted" to promote and increase customers.

Suggestions:
1. A "Learn to fly drones and RC model aircraft" booklet or similar with a rear section (a few tear out pages) of discount vouchers or the like. A CD or USB key copy included.
2. A "Building RC Aircraft from Foam board" booklet similar to the first suggested item with CD etc.
3. (A longer term investment) Buy the rights to an old RC flight sim and have it re-written to have the FT Tiny Trainer as the only included plane. Controller adapter cables available through the FT store and a free add on plane supplied when you purchase a plane. For example: An FT Explorer add on supplied free when you purchase an FT Explorer, Etc.

If there is a requirement for "Prizes" in the future an FT branded tool kit could be considered along with an FT branded field box with battery and FT branded charger. Both the tool kit and flight box could be cheaply sourced from China and should be available through the FT store of course for those that do not win!

Just a few thoughts!

have fun!

liamnave

flyboy
Heres an idea. Give a free T-shirt to every subscriber. You have like 700K subscribers, and if each T-shirt costs you 10 buck to make, your only out 7 million dollars! you guys could totally d that, right...?

Waffleman

I'd rather it be a bit more... personal... than just new-product giveaways. Product giveaways are a promotional tool, they feel "corporate", you know?

I'd rather it be something along the lines of, "you saw it in x episode, now it's up for giveaway" type deal. I know you all don't get the chance to fly all of the old ARFs. PnPs, and DTFB builds that you've done over the years, so why don't you give them away to make room for newer cooler stuff? And I think people would get a lot more enjoyment out of a unique or special airplane/quad/whatever than a generic speedbuild kit or gremlin.
Not that'd I'd turn down a gremlin, those are mad cool :D

As far as how you conduct the giveaways, you should do some through forums, some through facebook, some at events, etc.
Make it more contest-oriented, like "funniest RC story", "best crash", "What's the craziest thing you've ever flown?" type deals where the community members get to tell you more about themselves and share some really cool things of their own.
I don't think it should be entirely random, because then the awesome community members that really deserve stuff would be unlikely to get anything.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Stefan: Regardless of how you structure your giveaways, please send something to JimCR120 and PsyBorg for their continued help with forum members. Both consistently go over and above trying to help forum members. I've ran forums for years and know firsthand that folks like this are vital to its existence and should be acknowledged. :)

Thanks for the endorsement Taz but I am no different then any other person contributing to helping people here. I just have more time available to do so. There are others here far longer and more valuable as a community resource then I am that deserve to be rewarded long before I should. Jim is one of those so I will agree on that part for sure.

liamnave

flyboy
Im learning disabled and have Asperger syndrome so its kinda hard to get into your drones and copters by myself. Im also just about to finish high school and dont have a job so dont have a ton of money to spend. Is there something that i can do to learn this stuff?
I dont know that much about Asperger syndrome, but I can say one thing, get a plane that flys slowly and easily. My easyest and slowest is probabbly the UMX raidian. This costs 90$ BNF, and a transmitter costs 60. https://www.horizonhobby.com/airpla...adian-reg;-bnf-with-as3x®-technology-eflu2980 and https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...ft-transmitters/dxe-transmitter-only-spmr1000 I dont know what your price range is, if this it to much then I would go with scratch building a Tiny Trainer.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Aspieman

I dont know that much about Asperger syndrome, but I can say one thing, get a plane that flys slowly and easily. My easyest and slowest is probabbly the UMX raidian. This costs 90$ BNF, and a transmitter costs 60. https://www.horizonhobby.com/airpla...adian-reg;-bnf-with-as3x®-technology-eflu2980 and https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...ft-transmitters/dxe-transmitter-only-spmr1000 I dont know what your price range is, if this it to much then I would go with scratch building a Tiny Trainer.
Hello aspieman,
I am glad you want to get into the hobby. I would be glad to help you out and point you in the right direction. I work at a school with many kiddos on the ASD including Aspergers. One of them also played soccer when he reached middle school.

What I want to ask you to do is either start a new thread in the New Guy section or make a post in a section that seems appealing. You can also PM me but I really like the newer members to introduce themselves where the forum can get to know them. Our community is a friendly one and the introductions are a great way to get off to a good start and connect.

I will watch for your post. Welcome to the fun.
—Jim

NiCK_NaMe

Instead of a give away... build something big, get with the county police determine who is the explosive technician(s) and blow something up... Mythbusters style!!

NiCK_NaMe

Or give away your time... pick a community memeber. Travel to there place. Meet some random guy/girl do a build with them... fly with them... THEN FIND THE BOMB SQUAD AND BLOW SOMETHING UP of course with them... and put it on tape so we can all watch!

Ltngstrike

Well said and +100!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I just saw this today. Thanks Taz and Ltngstrike but really, your encouragement is already enough. Off the top of my head I could honestly name several others who offer much more content that actually solves problems. I wanna be like them.

As for the give aways I would click on the agree button (see what I did there) for what Hai-Lee said regarding focusing on the real purpose for the giveaway whether it wants more people, closer connections, depth of expertise, etc. Keeping the mission, the big picture, in focus will always make how to get there more clear.

jtbluefeather

I agree with Waffleman. If you've got shelves of flying things from old episodes, those would go over with almost anyone who is a Flite Test fan. I also agree with those who think that flying with you guys would be a sweet thing to win. A giveaway with each release of the item being released would be cool, as would going back to the old school challenges where you each competed for someone.

As for a method, lots of good ideas here already, and you should go with most of them. Different avenues will attract a larger audience. Also, one place I worked did a "Secret Reward" system, where we could nominate other employees who went above and beyond and they would be recognized by administration.

See you at FFE'17!