Flite Test Glossary

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So, I noticed that we have a lot of terms and abbreviations (interesting word, when you think about it - it's really long, and the meaning of the word is to shorten a word!) within RC hobbies in general. I figured we should make up a list of these terms that might help newbies or people interested in the hobby to help out. :)

Let me start:

TX - Short for Transmitter, also referred to as your radio. This is what you use to control your aircraft, whether it's a quadcopter, plane, sailplane, etc. Some transmitters are meant for surface/RC cars and trucks, and USUALLY have a trigger control for throttle, with a steering wheel on it; the aircraft radios all use two sticks to control.

RX - Short for Receiver. This is installed in your aircraft, and is what is used to control servos or an ESC for throttle.

ESC - Electronic Speed Controller. This is what controls the throttle and gives power to the motor for your aircraft. There should be one ESC per motor.

FC - Flight Controller. Usually found on multirotor aircraft such as a quadcopter, although they are being used more often in airplanes as well. The Flight Controllers in the multirotor aircraft are GENERALLY used (and I'm simplifying this quite a bit) to help determine attitude and help keep the multirotor level. In aircraft, they are used to help give a more stable flight by making minor corrections. If you see a plane with AS3X or SAFE Select, this is a form of flight controller, using it to help fly in a stable manner.

FT - Abbreviation for FliteTest

TT - On the FliteTest forums, it refers to Tiny Trainer.

I know there are TONS more, but I'm drawing a blank. Anyone have anything they want to add, please do!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So, I noticed that we have a lot of terms and abbreviations (interesting word, when you think about it - it's really long, and the meaning of the word is to shorten a word!) within RC hobbies in general. I figured we should make up a list of these terms that might help newbies or people interested in the hobby to help out. :)

Let me start:

TX - Short for Transmitter, also referred to as your radio. This is what you use to control your aircraft, whether it's a quadcopter, plane, sailplane, etc. Some transmitters are meant for surface/RC cars and trucks, and USUALLY have a trigger control for throttle, with a steering wheel on it; the aircraft radios all use two sticks to control.

RX - Short for Receiver. This is installed in your aircraft, and is what is used to control servos or an ESC for throttle.

ESC - Electronic Speed Controller. This is what controls the throttle and gives power to the motor for your aircraft. There should be one ESC per motor.

FC - Flight Controller. Usually found on multirotor aircraft such as a quadcopter, although they are being used more often in airplanes as well. The Flight Controllers in the multirotor aircraft are GENERALLY used (and I'm simplifying this quite a bit) to help determine attitude and help keep the multirotor level. In aircraft, they are used to help give a more stable flight by making minor corrections. If you see a plane with AS3X or SAFE Select, this is a form of flight controller, using it to help fly in a stable manner.

FT - Abbreviation for FliteTest

TT - On the FliteTest forums, it refers to Tiny Trainer.

I know there are TONS more, but I'm drawing a blank. Anyone have anything they want to add, please do!
SNAP!

Just yesterday I was working on exactly the same thing but the entries were so very numerous I started compiling them into a word document for the creation of a PDF.

Got plenty of info but the posting of them could take a large number of pages and effectively kill this thread!

Willing to send info if wanted!

Have fun!

Arcfyre

Elite member
DTFB- Dollar Tree Foam Board, raw material obtained at Dollar tree stores made by Adams used to build most FT designs.

BEC- Battery Elimination Circuit, a device used to step down LiPo voltage to power servos and receivers off of a much higher voltage flight pack. Often integrated into an ESC.

LiPo- short for Lithium Polymer battery. Most common power source for electric aircraft in modern times.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A taste of the aforementioned Glossary:

The letter A

Adverse yaw - when a plane drops its tail during a banked turn, as a result of the wing on the outside of the turn causing
more drag than the inside wing.

Aerobatic/s - any maneuver or series of maneuvers that involve stunts of any kind, such as loops, rolls and spins. An
airplane that is capable of performing such stunts is said to be "fully aerobatic".

Aerodynamics - the laws, rules, or physics behind model flight including lift, thrust, and drag. The thing with which we builders battel.

Aeromodelling - the general term used to describe the hobby of building and flying model airplanes and aircraft.

Aeromodellers - the guys and gals that do it - that's you and me.

Aileron/Ailerons - the moving section of the trailing edge (TE) of the wing, either located towards the outer end or along the
whole length of the TE. Ailerons come in pairs, (left and right) and always work in opposite directions to each other (one
up, one down). When used, they cause the airplane to roll to the left or right.

Aileron Differential - when the ailerons are set up to move upwards more than downwards, to counteract any adverse yaw
during a turn caused by extra drag on the outer wing from the down aileron.

Air brakes - often found on, but not limited to, larger gliders. An air brake is a small panel that pops up vertically from the
top (and/or bottom) surface of the wing (or fuselage). The sudden extra drag slows the plane.

Airfoil - the cross-section shape of a wing. Airfoils can be flat-bottomed, under-cambered, semi-symmetrical or
symmetrical, depending on the style of airplane and what it needs to do. Also written as aerofoil, depending on which
country you are in. Different shape airfoils have different lift generating properties.

Air speed - the speed of your plane in relation to the speed of the air immediately surrounding it. A plane flying in to the
wind will have a higher air speed than a plane flying with the wind.

Alpha - when used to describe a models flight it refers to the Angle of Attack, as in "High Alpha" for a very large angle of attack.

Altitude - the vertical distance between your rc airplane and the ground, usually expressed in feet ('). Just the fancy way of
saying height.

Angle of Attack/AoA - the angle of the wing (when viewed from the end) in relation to the horizontal airflow when the
airplane is flying. Nothing to do with your incoming trajectory when trying to cut the tail off your friend's plane in aerial
combat games!

Angle of incidence - Normally to describe the angle of the wing with respect to the aircraft centre line or horizontal tail surfaces.

Anhedral - used to describe the angle of the wings with respect to the horizontal reference. The opposite of Dihedral. Anhedral wings angle downwards or seem to droop. Used on shoulder aircraft where too much stability adversely effects maneuverability.

ARC - Almost Ready to Crash. An RC aircraft that knows something that the newbie pilot is just about to find out.

ARF / ARTF - Almost Ready To Fly. This one's a legitimate abbreviation! An ARF airplane needs a few small finishing
touches and you have to install the engine/motor and radio gear yourself. They vary in degrees of completeness, from
manufacturer to manufacturer.

Attitude - not the obvious meaning, but in the flying world 'attitude' refers to the angle of the plane in relation to the
horizontal eg "My plane had a very nose-down attitude, from which it could not recover..."

Still not a complete listing of the letter A

Have fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
SNAP!

Just yesterday I was working on exactly the same thing but the entries were so very numerous I started compiling them into a word document for the creation of a PDF.

Got plenty of info but the posting of them could take a large number of pages and effectively kill this thread!

Willing to send info if wanted!

Have fun!

I say we should post it, and maybe get someone to make it a sticky. I was looking at was abbreviations or common phrases we use all the time on here to give newbies some help. I myself knew a lot of these at first, since I’d played with old Tamiya cars 20+ years ago, but I think any examples we have would be of great help!!!