Flite Test participation in remote access identification. What do you think?

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Flite Test has recently appeared in a video supporting the idea of inexpensive remote access identification for hobbyists. When they made an announcement about it on youtube however, the comments were very much against this and a lot of people disapproved of the fact that Flite Test supported the idea. What do you guys on the forums think?

moret

I am glad to see them taking part in the test. The Flite test forums are centered around building and flying and guys helping other guys. Flite test is trying to help get people into the hobby. The forums have NOT become the bash the FAA and AMA and each other as other forums. It is great to see Flite test looking ahead and helping to test systems. Notice the words "inexpensive remote access identification for hobbyists". It ties into "inexpensive foam planes for hobbyists" I hope Flite test is one of the leaders as the FAA rule changes comes into effect.
They are not turning on us, they are trying to help us to go forward under new rules.
Remember if you have your head in the sand, your behind is up in the air and an easy target to get kicked.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Im gonna have ta say nope nope and NOPE.

Whether I am doing what I am supposed to or not This is open to the general non flying public. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

You get in a tiff over someone walking their dog who poops in your yard and doesnt clean it up. They fire up an app and send the gestapo to your location. You think trolls on the internet are bad being lil trouble makers... imagine the local kiddies who are the normal trouble makers finding out about this program... just NOPE NOPE NOPE.

We are already fast approaching that tell on your neighbor for anything rewards program... Anyone remember the Hitler youth...

Heck even the local vocational school now has their criminal science students walking around campus looking into peoples cars and writing tickets. Complete with white shirts and note pads. The only thing missing is the red arm bands. They had black ones one year which disappeared shortly after a friend and I were discussing them in the little diner close to the school.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Tracks location and approximate plans of the person flying. Communicates with other apps / programs and puts all that information in one place. Its designed for people in the hobby to safely integrate the air space and keep track of where things are.

If it wasnt so accessible to general non flying public. When they got to the part with the lady in the parking lot pulling out her cellie and made the statement it can be used to report and identify drones that possibly should not be there they lost any support from me.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Tracks location and approximate plans of the person flying. Communicates with other apps / programs and puts all that information in one place. Its designed for people in the hobby to safely integrate the air space and keep track of where things are.

If it wasnt so accessible to general non flying public. When they got to the part with the lady in the parking lot pulling out her cellie and made the statement it can be used to report and identify drones that possibly should not be there they lost any support from me.
A report is only made if you do not notify others of your plan. The only information you are forfeiting is when and where you are flying, which you should do anyway. The issue of just anyone being able to report you is a serious one, but they aren't going to start busting down doors and demanding you hand over your transmitter, just because someone thought that a low pass was too low for comfort.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Flite Test has recently appeared in a video supporting the idea of inexpensive remote access identification for hobbyists. When they made an announcement about it on youtube however, the comments were very much against this and a lot of people disapproved of the fact that Flite Test supported the idea. What do you guys on the forums think?

Personally I think its a great idea but with a few flaws.

Firstly I dont like the idea about crowdsourcing drone information, I think the average person is not knowledgeable enough to be given the power to instantly report something (you wouldn't believe some of the thing I have heard people say about drones from people). However I do think it would be great to make something like this available to law enforcement and other departments who do have to worry about/interact with drones. Look i hate to admit but drones are rapidly becoming tools that are very capable of performing tasks and carrying payloads and like it or not, criminals will be using them, they already have. With that said, I dont think regulating drones into the ground is the right answer. Personally I would suggest:

1: An application like this that helps law enforcement to know if there is a drone in the area flying legally.

2: Appropriate drone countermeasures, net guns, drones that can capture other drones, Jamming devices, etc.

3: a legislative response that isn't just knee jerk bureaucracy. No criminal is going to bother to register his drone after he picks it up at wal-mart or off of Amazon. All the current regulations do is add more rules and help big businesses run pull ahead with their drone services by regulating competition.

I should note that this is my opinion, obviously I may be missing some stuff here and some people may not agree with me, thats fine, it doesnt make me a idiot, and it doesnt make anyone else a idiot, a civilized discussion considering all the options is the most productive and healthy form of debate.

So yeah, overall I think its a fine project and unless you are doing some shady stuff thats borderline breaking the law, it shouldn't affect you.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@BS projects inc. No you are probably right. What they will do is track where people are flying and if it happens to be where "drone Delivery" wants to be done THEN they will change things to suit the will of the corporate entities generating all this BS under the guise of safety. Shortly after that comes mandated licencing and insurances.

The hobby has been done safely for many decades. The problem doesnt lie within the hobby it lies with big buisness and corrupt legislators. Starting with companies like DJI promoting their products as so safe anyone can fly a drone. Which is the farthest thing from the truth there is in the hobby. With the tech anyone can put a drone in the air. Not everyone can fly one.

If legislation and tracking needs to be done start there and go thru education. Normal thinking people are willing to learn how things are done properly much easier thru an education program then thru a tax and fine structure. If the normal thinking people know about the air space and where it will be safe to fly they will do so. The ones NOT doing what is safe are going to do that whether or not this or any other system is in place so its all smoke and mirrors in the name of profits.

If the government REALLY cared about safety they would be developing areas specifically for us to fly not locking it down with over regulation.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I will say this.. whether I agree with things like this or not it is good to see Flite Test putting a public face out there in regards to legislation for or against the hobby. I think this is a first step to them becoming a certified CBO and would better serve the community then where AMA is going. 1950's thinking no longer applies to the hobby Its time for a new face to smile upon those that fly.

That said... To our leader mr Josh. Whether people agree or disagree with some decisions that will have to be made, myself included dont let that slow or stop you from stepping up. You have a TON of backing when you are ready to do so

BS projects inc.

Elite member
@BS projects inc. No you are probably right. What they will do is track where people are flying and if it happens to be where "drone Delivery" wants to be done THEN they will change things to suit the will of the corporate entities generating all this BS under the guise of safety. Shortly after that comes mandated licencing and insurances.

The hobby has been done safely for many decades. The problem doesnt lie within the hobby it lies with big buisness and corrupt legislators. Starting with companies like DJI promoting their products as so safe anyone can fly a drone. Which is the farthest thing from the truth there is in the hobby. With the tech anyone can put a drone in the air. Not everyone can fly one.

If legislation and tracking needs to be done start there and go thru education. Normal thinking people are willing to learn how things are done properly much easier thru an education program then thru a tax and fine structure. If the normal thinking people know about the air space and where it will be safe to fly they will do so. The ones NOT doing what is safe are going to do that whether or not this or any other system is in place so its all smoke and mirrors in the name of profits.

If the government REALLY cared about safety they would be developing areas specifically for us to fly not locking it down with over regulation.
I agree that this has potential to turn into something negative, but the airspace is changing and the hobby needs to adapt. Personally I think that this is the best solution so far.

M

MCNC

So does all this apply to us country folks flying small planes out in hay fields?

Boberticus

i think that having product suppliers (includeing Flitetest) and government get together to decide what product they are going to force me to buy from one of these suppliers, without any input from actual citizens they are affecting(hobbits) is disingenuous, and frankly unAmerican.

its quite honestly disappointing to see this.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I agree that this has potential to turn into something negative, but the airspace is changing and the hobby needs to adapt. Personally I think that this is the best solution so far.

Personally I think they should keep their noses out of a hobby that has been safe for decades and instead of pissing money at regulation and tech designate places hobbyists CAN fly instead of invent more ways to take it away from us in the name of safety when its clearly nothing more then profiteering and a means to lead into mandated licencing and insurances.

Bottom line is the people causing the problems will STILL be the ones causing problems no matter how much regulation or mandated crap is forced on us. All things like this will do is make more and more rogue pilots out of the ones who have been doing things the right way since the birth of the hobby.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
So does all this apply to us country folks flying small planes out in hay fields?
More than likely not, i'm in the same situation so if we go out to fly in the middle of nowhere 1.) we probably wont be reported 2.) even if we are reported the worst case scenario is that we get a heads up or a warning from the local police

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Personally I think they should keep their noses out of a hobby that has been safe for decades and instead of pissing money at regulation and tech designate places hobbyists CAN fly instead of invent more ways to take it away from us in the name of safety when its clearly nothing more then profiteering and a means to lead into mandated licencing and insurances.

Bottom line is the people causing the problems will STILL be the ones causing problems no matter how much regulation or mandated crap is forced on us. All things like this will do is make more and more rogue pilots out of the ones who have been doing things the right way since the birth of the hobby.
You're absolutely right that the trouble makers will still be trouble makers, but I see it as a way to make sure that the safe and responsible flyers are being identified as so. If someone were to get reported, now they would have proof that they were being responsible. This also allows us to fly in controlled airspace which is a bonus considering the decreasing size of class g airspace.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@BS projects inc.

If I am flying in a safe manor why do I NEED to be identified.. I wont be anywhere that could possibly cause issue to full scale aircraft?

I am beginning to get the feeling you have some kind of personal involvement in this system here. You are promoting it awfully hard in a forum. Then you make the statement you fly in the middle of nowhere like another member where NONE of this really effects safe air space.

Again I reiterate.. its nothing more then profiteering... where is all the regulation and "Ohh you must be identified while flying" BULLCRAP in regard to ultra light aircraft and para-motors and all the things that are actually IN the air space of real aircraft...

There is nothing you or anyone can say to make me believe this or any other new legislation is in the best interest in the hobby. Profiteering nothing more.

EDIT: Oh and what is being done about private small aircraft flying in MY airspace under 400 ft taking pictures of the pretty fall colors. Thats more unsafe then anything to full scale flight.. and they HAVE the gear where they can be tracked.

Captain Video

I am concerned about the technology to report your position will be to cumbersome or heavy or pricey. If the current demands are to great for lightweight foam planes power system or to large to place on the air frames is when people will flock from this great hobby we all love.

Captain Video

"Guilty until proven innocent". If you are flagged as flying unsafe, why must i prove my innocence. My sons and I take great pains to be sure we fly safely and follow AMA rules even when we fly at out local middle school.