Flite Test Radial Motor Failure?

DanH80

I just finished my Sea Angel, and I purchased the power pack C with it, that comes with the newer FT radial motor.

On the third flight it all of a sudden started making of ton of rattling noise, and losing power. I managed to bring it in on a glide and the plane was ok. When I went to inspect it, it seemed the shaft/case was lose, and grinding/moving around when I inspected it. Has this happened to anyone else? The motor wasn't even hot at all, seems like a defect. Any input is appreciated.

Dan

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Contact flitetest about it, their warranty should cover. Not sure what happened though, maybe something got into it? (A rock, some sand, etc)

DanH80

Thanks, I did just send them an email. It would be weird if it got anything in it, I was handlaunching on a really nice manicured grass field, and had only landed a few times. Plus of all planes, you'd think with the motor way up above the wing it would be safe from ingesting things!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Could the prop have gotten damaged and gotten unbalanced?

Your post flight inspection sounds like your bearing might be damaged, that would explain why the main case feels loose and the grinding sound.

DanH80

Thanks for the idea, but no the prop is in great shape, brand new condition.

I don't want to void my warranty, but the case seems to be able to slide forward, would I get in trouble trying to slide it all the way forward to try and see what's going on?

DanH80

The biggest bummer is that I have to dissect my motor pod if I want to remove the motor, because of the way it was designed, all glued together with no hatch. I was worried about that when building, but figured I'd just do it the stock way this time.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yeah don't take anything apart until you hear back from FT.

Is there still a little screw on the shaft at the back of the motor?

DanH80

I can't get to the back of the motor without cutting apart my motor pod.... but I guess I might just have to do that regardless.

I'd guess not? Is that what holds the whole front case on?

DanH80

I managed to remove my motor. I had to cut a hole in the side of the pod just to see what I was doing, then I attached a long allen wrench to a long flat head screwdriver so that the wrench couldn't spin, and inserted it from the back of the pod.

So! It appears whatever was back there to support the back end sheared off, two thin discs fell out, and tiny little ball bearings were falling out. I don't think it's fixable.

So far I have two emails into FT to inquire about this with no response. Weird, because I've heard service is pretty good?

DanH80

No, there is a clearance hole there, and nothing should have been scraping.

I did hear back from FT, and they are being very responsive. They just wanted a video of what was going on, and they sent out a new motor free of charge, so that was very nice.

I'm still mystified though by what happened. Maybe when I see the new motor and compare I'll be able to tell exactly how the other one failed.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
No, there is a clearance hole there, and nothing should have been scraping.

I did hear back from FT, and they are being very responsive. They just wanted a video of what was going on, and they sent out a new motor free of charge, so that was very nice.

I'm still mystified though by what happened. Maybe when I see the new motor and compare I'll be able to tell exactly how the other one failed.

Might've been just one of those freak things...Sometimes, things just up and fail. At least FT is making good on it and you're getting a replacement. :)