Flite Test School

reddstagg

G'Day Flitetest

I am a young Art/Design/IT teacher in a Australian Country school.
Love my job teaching websites, films, computer games, graphic design, painting, illustration, woodwork ...etc.

One of the senior teachers approached me about creating a class for 2015, he wanted to see something that students would find challenging, exciting, computer focused and interdisciplinary with links to science, maths, technical drawing, IT and multimedia.

As he was talking all I heard was STUDENTS + FLITE TEST SWAPPABLE SERIES == FUN & LEARNING

I did my first scratch build, and built a bloody wonder swappable, able to work out costs, tools and build time. And got the approval I needed from the principal.
Below is a short video of the first test flight... so many things wrong, Prop & motor are undersized, tail heavy, massive throws on elevator & "still learning" pilot... but after a 3 hour build, and 15mins before lunch it was a good proof of concept, and got the approval I needed.

You can imagine I have virtually every student in Year 10 (about age 14-16) wanting to join the class and majority are female students.

Considering I will be using some of beginner series videos in class, figure I can repay the favour by documenting as much of the course as I can and providing as many of the activities and resources here as I can.

Thought I would share now, Thanks Flite Test :), will update in acouple of weeks with a promo video as we approach "2015 subject selection"

Cheers,
Mr H

eagle4

Awesome work mate. Where will you be sourcing your foam from? I believe there is a guy in NZ who stocks the stuff flitetest does which is awesome to work with, but there are a couple of other mobs who have similar stuff. Look up red20, I can't remember off hand what foam he uses.

Another thing you might want to look into, MESA foam fighters(they post article videos here a lot) have a whole ciriculum designed for this sort of thing, I think it costs you a little bit to get in on it, but might be a good place to check out, even for inspiration.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
makes me wish I was in school again
good luck and happy flying

reddstagg

Another thing you might want to look into, MESA foam fighters(they post article videos here a lot) have a whole ciriculum designed for this sort of thing, I think it costs you a little bit to get in on it, but might be a good place to check out, even for inspiration.

Thanks heaps eagle, I just looked them up and it certainly is inspiring... They also had a great outline of their curriculum and a good collection of resources to add to my list :)

Going to be challanging to do the initially setup of gear and tools. And workout budgets.
I've only been flying 18 months... So I think I'm going to do a fair bit of learning between now and Feb 2015.

Cheers,

Mr H

felixx

Bro. I'm a teacher here in NZ and have 20kids doing a similar thing with a thurs lunch class. We went with a different design (EZFly) for our first build, but we are getting there. Next year will be flite test all the way, I love the idea of a subject around this!