Flite Test South Traditions

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Traditions -- The good things we do to set the mood or tone.

Flite Fest South is just a few days away, and as the first of many Flite Fests in the South, it's time to start a few. One of the traditions of the original Flite Fests started by our very own Rasterize was the voulenteer pancake breakfast. He started it as a way to thank the voulenteers for all the hard work they put in to turn FF from an oversized fun fly to the magical event it is.

Rasterize won't be able to join us, but I and others are no less thankful, so I'm proposing we pick this up as a tradtion for FFS as well :)

I've got a few partners in crime to start, and materials are somewhat secured, but if anyone wants to lend a hand feeding the people who are helping us, we do need to borrow a few griddles, and maybe a hand or two extra flipping flapjacks (many hands make light work, after all).

The plan at this point is to serve pancakes (with syrup), bacon, and some breakfast drink (perhaps coffee, but IIRC, that'll likely be on tap all day). At this point it'll be served at the Saturday morning voulenteer meeting, but if we get enough interest we might expand to cover Friday and/or Sunday as well.

So if:
-- you're interested in lending a hand or cooking gear, either post here or send me a PM.
-- you're already a voulenteer, thanks for spending some of your Flite Fest making it a great event and we hope you enjoy the simple breakfast.
-- you're not already a voulenteer . . . Its still not too late . . . Have we mentioned free pancakes for voulenteers ;)

IMG_4272.JPG

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yes Volunteer pancakes were awesome this year. Specially if you got the chance to try some of the fancy syrups that were out each morning.

Since it is the south instead of coffee all day maybe more traditional sweet tea available for volunteers.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yes Volunteer pancakes were awesome this year. Specially if you got the chance to try some of the fancy syrups that were out each morning.

If someone(s) want to bring a variety to sample and share, it would be a welcome hit . . . however there will be "cheap sweet brown stuff slightly thicker than water", possibly maple or butter flavored, probably Publix brand in case they don't ;)

Since it is the south instead of coffee all day maybe more traditional sweet tea available for volunteers.

As a Native Florida boy (and not too far from the old stomping grounds at FFS), I highly endorse this :applause: Granted, Florida Sweet Tea is only different from the syrup by the much milder flavor and slightly thinner . . . and the tea is a touch sweeter ;)

That being said . . . I do think I need to pick up a bottle or two of Cane Syrup to bring along . . .

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I grew up using the clear kayro syrup on pancakes n waffles with fresh Jersey blueberries. The berry ones that were at FFE were the bomb though. I even was gifted some awesome honey when I was at FFE because I ended up getting sick from all the damp n cold and Litterbug hooked me right up. Sadly that is nearly all gone now as I been rationing it in peach tea since I have been back here and there.

jaredstrees

I'll be happy to lend a skillet. Not volunteering this year as it may just be my son and I. Hopefully the whole family will come and I'll be able to help out more.

jaredstrees

No problem! I can pick up a few bottle of syrup as well. Let me know what else you need and I'll see if I can help. I'll be in Friday late morning if all goes according to plan.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks Guys :)

I'll welcome all the help I can get.

As details start to firm and If something specific pops up, I'll post it here.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
So more details . . .

Plans at this point is for a Saturday morning breakfast for the volunteers -- pancakes, sausage, coffee, milk . . .Probably oj (we are deep in Florida citrus country ;) ). Volunteer meeting is scheduled for 9:00, we'll start serving about an hour ahead.

Looking forward to seeing y'all over breakfast :D

So more details . . .

Plans at this point is for a Saturday morning breakfast for the volunteers -- pancakes, sausage, coffee, milk . . .Probably oj (we are deep in Florida citrus country ;) ). Volunteer meeting is scheduled for 9:00, we'll start serving about an hour ahead.

Looking forward to seeing y'all over breakfast :D

Thank you all for the pancake breakfast! It was much appreciated!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Boostedvolvo, Thanks for volunteering :)

The breakfast went off like hotcakes. Had quite a few left over but we had planned for extra. To all who lent gear, brainpower and time pulling this off, many thanks, and to everyone in the orange shirts pitching in all weekend . . .

Ya'll Done Good :)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Sad to have missed it. We had a 20 min commute and my troops were slow to saddle-up. Maybe next time.