Flite Test UK

Nobody

I live in the United Kingdom and would like to purchase a flite test plane speed build kit.
I don't want to download the build plans because it would take up too much paper in a printer and I am not as precise as a laser cutter.
Does anybody know what I can do
All responses thanked in advance

Jnr Kuzi

just buy one from their online store, they will ship it to you. plus getting that foam they use in england will be impossible

Nobody

thanks for the help
i can get a kind of foam in the uk that works but it reqires 2 bus journey and the world's least aerodynamic plastic bag
also i dont like buy american things because it will have a lot a p&p costs but thanks for the help;)

Guy123

Afternoon mate,

I'm also in the UK and had to order 2x FT speed build kits. Admittedley, the P&P was about equal to the total order cost and I ended up having to pay an additional £22 import fee to get it through customs - so quite an expensive way of doing it - However, in my opinion completely worth it.

I've found only 'similar' foam here in the UK, it is WAAAY more epensive (£15 for 5 sheets A3!) and not really feasable. I have used it to build replacement parts, for example the wing struts on my Baby blender that I managed to 'dismantle'.

Be wary of the UK stuff, it isn't just laminated paper, it appears to be a tad heavier and feels a little plasticy. This makes it initially more rigid however, on a hard landing my replacement struts shattered, it is rather brittle!

If you find a supplier of the DTFB in the UK, please let me know!

Long story short - you just have to accept it costs an arm and a leg.

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
I live in the United Kingdom and would like to purchase a flite test plane speed build kit.
I don't want to download the build plans because it would take up too much paper in a printer and I am not as precise as a laser cutter.
Does anybody know what I can do
All responses thanked in advance

Hi,
Shipping costs are the same to France (at the moment, but heard that could change)
The Versa flying wing plan can be printed on 9x A4 paper sheets, same plan used of course for both wings.
4 sheets for top part of the wing,
5 sheets for bottom part (could be 4 as one is used for a very small part). Tape carefully and reused for next build(crash)
The power pod (if needed) can be trace directly on foam.
No need to be ultra precise cutter.
I use depron (same foam without paper, 3mm or 6mm is available here in local store, go with the 6mm) with Experimental airlines "tape method". Highly recommend his youtube channel.
1 sheet of depron I found here is enough for 2 Versa (4wings), really cheap.

Tclet

My local model shop in Sittingbourne has started selling the kits in the UK from the guys. They also stock the Adam's board that they have imported, it's £2.49 a sheet plus postage (the same cost of £6.00 for one or up to fifty sheets).

You can order online from them at www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk. Stock number FT4000-1 (use this number in the search box).

Or, give them a call on 01795 410630

SheppO

A UK model shop selling FT !? - that is a game changer !!
You can also buy kits and bits from Graupner in Germany.
General white UK/Europe foam board is over twice the weight of the US stuff by Adams and a different construction so the paper (which is more like a thin semi gloss card) doesn't peel - this is good for durability but a pain when building.

Pbiggs

Afternoon mate,

I'm also in the UK and had to order 2x FT speed build kits. Admittedley, the P&P was about equal to the total order cost and I ended up having to pay an additional £22 import fee to get it through customs - so quite an expensive way of doing it - However, in my opinion completely worth it.

I've found only 'similar' foam here in the UK, it is WAAAY more epensive (£15 for 5 sheets A3!) and not really feasable. I have used it to build replacement parts, for example the wing struts on my Baby blender that I managed to 'dismantle'.

Be wary of the UK stuff, it isn't just laminated paper, it appears to be a tad heavier and feels a little plasticy. This makes it initially more rigid however, on a hard landing my replacement struts shattered, it is rather brittle!

If you find a supplier of the DTFB in the UK, please let me know!

Long story short - you just have to accept it costs an arm and a leg.
You can buy the foam sheets from hobbycraft at 7 pounds for two A1 sheets so I got four for 14 pounds and built two kits and one sheet spare.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The Leeds model shop sell the kits and the foam sheets. I was in there yesterday and the guy behind the till even had a Flitetest tee shirt on :)
I noticed that they had no boards and he said that they had 50 boxes of it on order :)

FDS

Elite member
This thread is sooo old!
Speedbuild kits are a pain to get over here at the moment, I have no idea why none of the common and useful models are available but right now it’s very hard to get many of the common kits. Likewise none of the new ones are available here either.
@Pbiggs Be aware all UK foamboard is about 40% heavier than DTFB/FT foam, so many Flite Test designs require modifications or don’t fly as well when made from our heavy board. Larger designs require the nose lengthening to counter balance the heavier tail and minis are much harder to get right. If you are building smaller designs then you can use 3mm board instead of 5mm or try to get the FT board.

Steve Fox

This thread is sooo old!
Speedbuild kits are a pain to get over here at the moment, I have no idea why none of the common and useful models are available but right now it’s very hard to get many of the common kits. Likewise none of the new ones are available here either.
@Pbiggs Be aware all UK foamboard is about 40% heavier than DTFB/FT foam, so many Flite Test designs require modifications or don’t fly as well when made from our heavy board. Larger designs require the nose lengthening to counter balance the heavier tail and minis are much harder to get right. If you are building smaller designs then you can use 3mm board instead of 5mm or try to get the FT board.

Our foamboard is stronger here in the UK, well worth the tiny amount of extra weight!

I've never had any need to modify any designs other than completely chucking out all electronics specs and using better servos, different motor, bigger props and significantly bigger batterys.

Flight test planes are spec'd to be crazy lightweight and will fly better weighing a lot more!

Take the FT Cub for example, with metal gear servos, two cams on a switcher, voltage osd vtx ect it comes in at 890g on a 2700mah 3s (the smallest pack I fly it on) and flys very well but almost every time I go out to fly I run one 4000mah 3s pack with an all up weight of over 1kg and it handles the wind so much better when it's that heavy.

Unless there is absolutely zero wind what so ever, heavier than official spec planes are better, I couldn't imagine flying the cub at the 480g it's spec'd for, it would get thrown about like crazy!

FDS

Elite member
40% heavier is significant, especially in the Minis, their wing loading is higher already and for newer pilots needing to fly faster to stay up is not so good.
Many new builders assume the FT specs are gospel or buy the pre set up power packs which then don’t fly well with the heavier airframe. It’s fine if you already know what you are doing when picking motor and prop combos but this is an area many people struggle with.

Steve Fox

40% heavier is significant, especially in the Minis, their wing loading is higher already and for newer pilots needing to fly faster to stay up is not so good.
Many new builders assume the FT specs are gospel or buy the pre set up power packs which then don’t fly well with the heavier airframe. It’s fine if you already know what you are doing when picking motor and prop combos but this is an area many people struggle with.
FT Power packs result in an under powered plane, everyone i talk to i try and hammer it into them that they should forget the recommended setup!

when im flying the FT cub on a 4000mah 3s, im 56% or 611g OVER the 489g all up official spec weight lol

This is the cub on a 4000mah and weighing 1.1kg :

FDS

Elite member
Again, that’s all well and good for people who know what they are doing. Also flights above 400ft and beyond LOS are illegal on the UK and have been for a while. There’s very few places with unrestricted airspace in the UK and I still wouldn’t advise flying like that on those places. I understand you may be over land you own but the airspace is not solely anyone’s and over 400ft there can still be military and civilian aviation at 400-2000ft. I am sure your set up is safe but it’s not something I would shout about in the UK in the present climate.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Again, that’s all well and good for people who know what they are doing. Also flights above 400ft and beyond LOS are illegal on the UK and have been for a while. There’s very few places with unrestricted airspace in the UK and I still wouldn’t advise flying like that on those places. I understand you may be over land you own but the airspace is not solely anyone’s and over 400ft there can still be military and civilian aviation at 400-2000ft. I am sure your set up is safe but it’s not something I would shout about in the UK in the present climate.
Downunder similar rules/laws apply. Deliberately breaking the law and thereby deliberately endangering civil aviation could have you facing terrorism charges and the terms of imprisonment expected or attached thereto, or worse if an incident causing harm occurs!

To exceed the 400ft requires not only aviation authority permission but also a registered flight plan and the pilot to have the appropriate Aviation class licence. it raises the old question of capability Vs morality. Just because we can doesn't mean we should! I hope this type of activity does not cause any incidents and that others are not tempted to emulate the activity due to the harm it could cause and the price that will be paid if caught!

Keep it legal and keep it safe!

Have fun!

Reactions: FDS

Corbarrad

Ah yes, Thread necromancy.

Though there seems to be intereest, so here's my obligatory "You should be able to order from Graupner in germany, they're shipping to the UK for a reasonable price." post.
That said it seems they're either phasing the FT stuff out or they're waiting on the new foam to come out because The boxed foam board hasn't been available in months... it was cheaper than any alternative I managed to scrounge up, too...

And yes, the rules have been getting ever more restrictive here as well. A lot of that stuff doesn't even make sense.
Even so, breaking the rules carries a penalty, you might not alwas get caught, but if you are that will make all of us look bad and lead to further tightening of the restrictions.
Edit: I won't even go into the bit where you're endangering general aviation or people on the ground. If you do that you deserve whatever they can throw at you.