Flite Test - why did I wait so long?

ScottSteward

Been in this hobby 5 years. Why did I wait so long to join the Flite Test community?! Between the videos, products and the community, there's just nothing like it. And this forum? Maybe the only place I have seen that (at least so far) is free of vitriol.

I'm hooked and here to stay.

sundown57

Legendary member
Welcome aboard, Glad to have you with us. As for vitriol, that's what we like all new members to think.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Hahaha....I'm sure it's there. But the fact that a new guy has to dig for it is saying something. ;)

LOL it's there. Talk about buying parts from somewhere other than banggood or HobbyKing, mention your transmitter of choice, or bring up the FAA and the AMA, and you'll see criticism fit for Capitol Hill. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

And you'll also find people willing to help. We're here, just ask and you'll get a myriad of responses. :)

ScottSteward

Post your first crash. you'll see lol

"First crash"???? BWAAAAAHAHAHA! I think you misunderstand. I'm not new to the hobby. Just new in terms of a more directional focus on Flite Test. :)

I have had plenty of crashes. which ones do you want to see and make fun of? Got a bunch on YouTube. 🤣 Light me up. ;)

ScottSteward

LOL it's there. Talk about buying parts from somewhere other than banggood or HobbyKing, mention your transmitter of choice, or bring up the FAA and the AMA, and you'll see criticism fit for Capitol Hill. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

And you'll also find people willing to help. We're here, just ask and you'll get a myriad of responses. :)

Funny! I've been participating on the FAA thread. It's tame compared to most other places. 😳

As for the other stuff. Heck, I'm a low budget guy. I love HK and BG. And as for Transmitters, I'm a weird guy. I use a DX6I (still), a Devo 7 and..........wait for it......two Futabas that ate 72MHZ. 😂

I like budget. I also dig classic stuff which is why I enjoy my two 72 radios. :)

sprzout

Mentor
Funny! I've been participating on the FAA thread. It's tame compared to most other places. 😳

As for the other stuff. Heck, I'm a low budget guy. I love HK and BG. And as for Transmitters, I'm a weird guy. I use a DX6I (still), a Devo 7 and..........wait for it......two Futabas that ate 72MHZ. 😂

I like budget. I also dig classic stuff which is why I enjoy my two 72 radios. :)

I'm ok with budget, but I also am learning that sometimes, you need to spend more to get something reliable. I'd rather buy 6 Emax servos at $30 than buy 10 off-brand servos that nobody's heard of before at $25, only to have some not work out of the box, and have others semi-function (say, they've got a spot where it binds because it's got a bad gear, or they brown out on a 2A BEC, or some other weird thing).

And it doesn't matter WHAT transmitter you have, it'll be a "Ford Vs. Chevy" or "Apple Vs. Android" argument. LOL Personally, I think you pick what works best for YOU, and you know the pros and cons (like customer support, having instructions in English, 6, 8, 9 channels or more, ease of configuration, etc.) of what you're buying.

And funny you mention the Futabas - I have an old Futaba 72 mhz receiver that came out of a Gentle Lady glider that was gifted to me that's probably at least twice as big as any of my Spektrum receivers. :)

Bricks

Master member
Welcome to Flight Test as far as civil we get our zingers and disagreements in but TRY and keep them civil. There are a few I would like slap up along side of the head but hey it is what keeps it interesting. :love: :LOL: :devilish:

Headbang

Master member

Nothing wrong with 72mhz! Only few guys in my club still use 72mhz, and unlike back in the 80's and 90's when I used them, they always get to fly when they want too! Back in the day i had 14 on my electra, and 52 on my kadet. I got to fly my electra all the time, but 5 or 6 others had 52, so my kadet was always grounded.

ScottSteward

Nothing wrong with 72mhz! Only few guys in my club still use 72mhz, and unlike back in the 80's and 90's when I used them, they always get to fly when they want too! Back in the day i had 14 on my electra, and 52 on my kadet. I got to fly my electra all the time, but 5 or 6 others had 52, so my kadet was always grounded.

It's pretty nice now because for those of us who use them, we are kind of on our own a don't have to worry too much about frequency crossing.

I just hold to two rules to always be certain....

1. Always post an AMA or club membership card on the frequency board.

2. Always browse the pit to be certain there aren't others.

DutchRoll

Welcome to Flight Test as far as civil we get our zingers and disagreements in but TRY and keep them civil. There are a few I would like slap up along side of the head but hey it is what keeps it interesting. :love::LOL::devilish:

If it flies, it's an airplane, and if it crashes, well we all have to land at some time.

ScottSteward

Lol none of that! If you strap a wing and a pair of jets to a haybale, and make it fly, it's now an airplane. Of course, that's what my uncle said about the F-4, so take that with a grain of salt.

No, I'm just talking about some of the rudeness I've encountered on another thread. Oh well.

sprzout

Mentor
It's pretty nice now because for those of us who use them, we are kind of on our own a don't have to worry too much about frequency crossing.

I just hold to two rules to always be certain....

1. Always post an AMA or club membership card on the frequency board.

2. Always browse the pit to be certain there aren't others.

You'll find that if you do FPV, we're kinda back to the same thing - lots of bleed over with the 40 channels of video, hence why so many people just run in the Raceband for FPV since it's separated widely enough.