FliteFEST 2021

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....One of the other benefits of the AMA is that they send you a copy of Model Aviation magazine, .....
I don’t care for the AMA magazine, way too much self promotion. I wish I could opt out & get a lower membership fee.

If the Sport Flyers had not been sued out of existence by the AMA, I would still belong to them, they had a much better magazine. One add, offering membership to SF & explaining the benefits. The AMA just goes on & on about contests & how great they are.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I don’t care for the AMA magazine, way too much self promotion. I wish I could opt out & get a lower membership fee.

If the Sport Flyers had not been sued out of existence by the AMA, I would still belong to them, they had a much better magazine. One add, offering membership to SF & explaining the benefits. The AMA just goes on & on about contests & how great they are.

To each his own...I like the Model Aviation magazine.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Actually, that's exactly when you want the AMA insurance - if you are flying away from home and hit someone else's house/vehicle/property and do damage, AMA insurance can provide coverage. It's not perfect, but it can help cover you if you have that accident.

One of the other benefits of the AMA is that they send you a copy of Model Aviation magazine, which is kind of an added bonus, at least for me...And they've been pretty supportive when we've done Maker Faires for our club, sending us some Model Aviation copies as well as a few gliders and AMA forms.
ahh ok, so if your away from home, they don't expect you to try to file against your home owners insurance first then? that is sort of how I understood what you said.

sprzout

Mentor
ahh ok, so if your away from home, they don't expect you to try to file against your home owners insurance first then? that is sort of how I understood what you said.

Most homeowners insurance policies will only cover you if you are at home. You can't file a claim against YOUR homeowners insurance policy if you're at someone else's home, right? Your insurance agency would laugh themselves sick.

At any rate, you're really mainly doing it to fly at most clubs because of the coverage they're offering for their flying fields and the requirements that all club members fly with AMA memberships. That gives a larger coverage rate, which, if I remember, is something like up to 2.5 million in damages or liability. Don't quote me on exact coverage on it - I'm doing this from memory of reading it for my club from 4 years ago, and things may have changed a bit since then; your best bet for the actual liability/damage coverage and numbers is on AMA's website.

I just know that my club is going to have to go through a lot of this insurance stance in a few years when we end up moving from our current site (the landowner is going to be selling the land for commercial development at something like 1.5 million for a Target/Walmart/grocery store to go in where our runway sits now).

But this is getting off of the topic of FF2021 - I know I won't be making it this year, and I'm not sure I can ever convince my wife to come out to Ohio with me now that my father's passed on, so I'd likely have to do a FF West if they ever get one done.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
..... You can't file a claim against YOUR homeowners insurance policy if you're at someone else's home, right? Your insurance agency would laugh themselves sick......
Agreed, you can't file a claim against your own liability insurance. But that is not how liability insurance works.

If you are away from your home and damage the property of someone else or injure someone else, they will sue you. Your homeowners liability coverage will kick in & protect you from the liability of the suit. Example: if you are at a golf course and one of your shots injures someone or takes out a window, they can sue you. Most of the time the insurance will pay without a law suit.

You are not filing a clam against your own policy, it is the injured party making the claim through a law suit.

The AMA is going to make your homeowners liability insurance pony up first, if the damage exceeds the policy limits, then AMA will cover you.

Here is an excerpt form the AMA document How to file an insurance claim

AMA insurance is “secondary” or “excess” insurance. So in addition to notifying AMA Headquarters of the accident, this also means an AMA member must first file the incident through any other insurance available to him or her: i.e. homeowners, renters, automobile, health insurance, etc. If the primary insurance covers the total claim amount, the member should let the AMA know so that we may close the file.

Last edited:

sprzout

Mentor
Agreed, you can't file a claim against your own liability insurance. But that is not how liability insurance works.

If you are away from your home and damage the property of someone else or injure someone else, they will sue you. Your homeowners liability coverage will kick in & protect you from the liability of the suit. Example: if you are at a golf course and one of your shots injures someone or takes out a window, they can sue you. Most of the time the insurance will pay without a law suit.

You are not filing a clam against your own policy, it is the injured party making the claim through a law suit.

The AMA is going to make your homeowners liability insurance pony up first, if the damage exceeds the policy limits, then AMA will cover you.

Here is an excerpt form the AMA document How to file an insurance claim

AMA insurance is “secondary” or “excess” insurance. So in addition to notifying AMA Headquarters of the accident, this also means an AMA member must first file the incident through any other insurance available to him or her: i.e. homeowners, renters, automobile, health insurance, etc. If the primary insurance covers the total claim amount, the member should let the AMA know so that we may close the file.

So what you're saying is that, for those of us who don't have homeowner's insurance (like me), we're screwed and the AMA wouldn't cover us...And, State Farm, in the state of California, will only use homeowner's insurance to cover something that happens on your property. My mom had a claim on her vehicle that she was able to get covered under her homeowner's insurance because the car was parked in her driveway when a branch fell on it. Her neighbor's car, which had the same thing, same insurance company, but the car was parked on the street? Her vehicle insurance had to cover it, because it was on public property.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
So what you're saying is that, for those of us who don't have homeowner's insurance (like me), we're screwed and the AMA wouldn't cover us...
Nope, If you don’t have any other liability insurance, then the AMA insurance will pay first.

If you have any other liability insurance, it will payout first, then the AMA insurance will kick in.
For someone with separate liability insurance, the AMA insurance is of limited value. It doubles the insurance cost.

Tench745

Master member
I think calling it a "magazine" is framing the publication the wrong way. Model Aviation is (or was) essentially the newsletter for a club. It's how they publish contest results, regional events, update members on what other chapters/districts are up to, etc. It's not really trying to be a classic magazine. Apparently that jives for some people and doesn't for others.

Corbarrad

I've gotten a few emails from the ama recently, asking me to renew my membership and I would do so, just to attend Flite Fest.
Sadly, though with international air travel being restricted as ist is I probably won't be able to make it this year...
A shame really...

JasonK

Do we know where Flite Fest is going to be?
How late on Sunday does it normally go?

looking to book lodging early and curious when the info I need to start looking will be available.

Tench745

Master member

looking to book lodging early and curious when the info I need to start looking will be available.

July 15th-18th at Fury Field as usual. I think it's a 1/2ish day on Sunday, others may remember the usual ending time.

Corbarrad

It will be in Malvern again this year as far as I've heard. I stayed on the festival grounds, tent camping from wednesday afternoon to sunday morning every year so far, but the days before wednesday I had a room at the days inn in carrollton, which sadly seems to have closed down in 2020. The old place was beginning to show its age, I guess... but there's still a candlewood suites and a microtel there, some 20 minutes drive from FliteFest.

There's usually a sunday service, a final Combat and some sort of Community get-together on Sunday but things tend to quickly wind down after that. By 5 PM most everything but the large tent sructures is broken down and squared away. The Attendees and Volunteers have done an amazing Job in the past, leaving the place spotless, no comparison to other festival grounds that I've seen.

where do I sign up for ft 2021? it says it's not there

I don't think registration is open yet. Should be any week now, though, I guess. They'll announce it on the Flitetest Youtube channel, I'm sure.

JasonK

It will be in Malvern again this year as far as I've heard. I stayed on the festival grounds, tent camping from wednesday afternoon to sunday morning every year so far, but the days before wednesday I had a room at the days inn in carrollton, which sadly seems to have closed down in 2020. The old place was beginning to show its age, I guess... but there's still a candlewood suites and a microtel there, some 20 minutes drive from FliteFest.

There's usually a sunday service, a final Combat and some sort of Community get-together on Sunday but things tend to quickly wind down after that. By 5 PM most everything but the large tent sructures is broken down and squared away. The Attendees and Volunteers have done an amazing Job in the past, leaving the place spotless, no comparison to other festival grounds that I've seen.
Thanks, I used the address on the current page and found a hotel ~30 minutes away [I need to put up 1 adult & 5 kids, when I tried 1 adult, it found something closer].