FliteTest APP?!?

kdobson83

This is less of a suggestion and more of a please please please! Lol Has anyone brought up the idea of a FliteTest App? Bring all of the FliteTest content, episodes, podcasts, forum, community to the palm of your hand. Heck, adding the FT store would be awesome too! I personally would pay good money for an FT App. Am I the only one who feels this way? If not, speak up people, add your comments here. What else could be included? Today, in the digital age, why not?

bitogre

I do think such an app would be good for FliteTest and I think the FTGroups would have been better as an App instead of a website. Unfortunately, I am more of a systems developer or embedded device developer so I can help with the back end services but not really the actual smartphone/tablet application development (in other words, I am not good at developing user interfaces). I would be happy to work on a team to develop this but some one else would need to be involved to do the part that runs on the smartphone/tablet.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
What features would you like to see in the app?

As you probably noticed, the website and store are both mobile-friendly, and we are currently in the process of migrating the forum as well. If you are looking for extra features that go outside of current usability (perhaps notifications, or other), list them here and we'll see what we can do - your suggestions are appreciated. :cool:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Sorry I just gotta ask. Why would anyone use an app instead of Chrome?

With Chrome I can block ads, kill off HTML5 autoplay, stuff Flash in an oubliette and forget java ever existed and do it all on a per website basis if I choose. I can't do that with an app. I get why companies want you to use an app. They control the environment. Chrome allows me to control the environment.

So why use an app?

I do not own any kind of cell phone but I do own tablets and use Chrome. Are apps just a smartphone thing?

PS: I whitelist FT for ads but I don't permit Flash (for any reason ever) or HTML5 Autoplay on any site ever.

Edit: This is a generic question. I can't imagine using the YouTube app instead of Chrome either.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I think I've heard it mentioned before. I know there are many ways to get things done and making things fit/ function better for handheld devices would be beneficial.

I'm still not sure though how to best employ all the features in the forum (groups, blog, etc).

For that matter, I'm still learning my transmiter.

kdobson83

As you probably noticed, the website and store are both mobile-friendly, and we are currently in the process of migrating the forum as well. If you are looking for extra features that go outside of current usability (perhaps notifications, or other), list them here and we'll see what we can do - your suggestions are appreciated. :cool:
While the changes that have been made to the site are notable, it needs work. Try to scroll through to listen to older podcasts or videos. Before, there were 30 listed on a page, but now there 4-5. Takes MUCH longer on a mobile to see the older content. I like to listen to the older podcasts I've missed at work and with the new site it takes about 5 minutes to scroll through to find one, when before it took 30 seconds.

Right now, your content is everywhere. Your site, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and you have an older YouTube account no one knows of and the old school Periscope thing, which I miss personally. It would be nice to have an app, or something that combines all of this, everything FliteTest, into one, easy to access spot. Everyone has apps these days and for good reason. They are massively popular and add yet another source of revenue for the company.

This is just a suggestion I thought of today at work. Figured I'd throw it out there. I'm sure many other would be interested in an app too but I understand you have to weigh the benefits of it to the costs.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
While the changes that have been made to the site are notable, it needs work. Try to scroll through to listen to older podcasts or videos. Before, there were 30 listed on a page, but now there 4-5. Takes MUCH longer on a mobile to see the older content. I like to listen to the older podcasts I've missed at work and with the new site it takes about 5 minutes to scroll through to find one, when before it took 30 seconds.

Hmm.. the default list should show 16 by default, and you can increase that to 96 (!) per page - see right above the page selector:

Capture.PNG

We'll give some more thoughts on the app - we actually had one created years ago that did exactly what you describe - we'll keep this topic open to gather some more ideas. I realize this is not as inclusive, but for now if it helps, you can jump to any of our social channels by using the links provided directly in the mobile menu or above the menu on desktop view.

97tj-neil

An app would be great, but let's start with making these forums compatible with Tapatalk. That would make it much easier to read the content on my phone.

kdobson83

Hmm.. the default list should show 16 by default, and you can increase that to 96 (!) per page - see right above the page selector:

View attachment 82844

We'll give some more thoughts on the app - we actually had one created years ago that did exactly what you describe - we'll keep this topic open to gather some more ideas. I realize this is not as inclusive, but for now if it helps, you can jump to any of our social channels by using the links provided directly in the mobile menu or above the menu on desktop view.

Wait, what? You all made an app but never released it? Well the hard part's already done then. Update that bad boy and realise it! Well, you could start by releasing it to a select few and have them give feedback on how to streamline it before full release. I volunteer my time and effort right now. Lol
Another idea with your own app, live streaming. No more Facebook or Periscope, host it in your very own app. Another idea, add a community area to it. No more FT Connections, add that to the app as well.
I'm sure this wonderful forum community can give even more ideas and feedback about it too.
Cheers!