Flitetest Building for Noobs

marblekit

I made a multipart video series on my Flitetest building techniques. I focus on going from downloaded PDF plans to foam board parts we can use to build. I don't cover the actual build that is already covered by Josh in his videos. We use the FT Mini Arrow in this example. My technique is different from Josh's use of posterboard.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I tape all the sheets together as you do, tape them to the board and cut the plan and the board all at once. Yes, the plan gets ruined, but it doesn't take long to print another one if you need to. Also, as I cut, I will often re-tape the plan to the board to keep it from moving.

Mike

tamuct01

Similar to mikeporterinmd I print out the plans and then tape them together, but I separate the components on the plans and use a spray adhesive to glue them to the foam board. The adhesive I've used is the Elmer's brand, and it's worked well so far. The plans come off the foam board easily after cutting and it doesn't leave much residue.

Danridge

Marblekit,
I like your video. I use the Elmers repositionable glue stick to glue the plans to the foam. It holds really well and I think it is less messy than the spray adhiesive.
But in the end they all work well.

Dan

Hey great video, after I print and tape the plans, I spray them with Elmers and stick them to posterboard, then cut them out. I find it easier to transfer to foam with thicker posterboard. Yes it takes a little longer but when I'm done cutting foam the plans go into the folder for later use.

Skip

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
marblekit. If you can write some paragraphs around your video, this would make a great article.

Geezah

Retaping

I tape all the sheets together as you do, tape them to the board and cut the plan and the board all at once. Yes, the plan gets ruined, but it doesn't take long to print another one if you need to. Also, as I cut, I will often re-tape the plan to the board to keep it from moving.

Mike

I must agree on the re-taping, I initially did not and just used glue sticks and t-pins on my plans when cutting and had the left wing half of my Bushwhacker end up with almost a quarter inch longer chord. After trimming the dimensions were the same on the ailerons so I will put it down to being in too much of a hurry, and to my printer not printing the alignment marks on the left side of each page causing me to use rulers and protractors to guess at sheet alignment.
I should have re-printed and not been a knucklehead cheapskate. ;)

Spitfire222

Not a skater
Great video, I'm sure it will help lots of new scratch builders! I couldn't help but notice that you were using the ruler with the cork side up. Unsure if that was done on purpose, and I know that it helps keep the guiding edge flat against the paper you're cutting, but I think the advantage of the non-slip cork preventing the ruler from moving when you cut is too good to pass up. It can be quite easy to have a metal ruler slip and make you mis-cut! I hate it when that happens! Keep up the great work.

Repair Time Rick

That is a way that work. For me I either pin down the plans and trace with a pen or pencil the cut out or use a tiny piece of tape to keep the plans in place while I trace. On my first scratch build I did the taping then cutting but then I wanted to reuse the plans but I couldn't so I created my method that I use now.

slipshift

Great video, I'm sure it will help lots of new scratch builders! I couldn't help but notice that you were using the ruler with the cork side up. Unsure if that was done on purpose, and I know that it helps keep the guiding edge flat against the paper you're cutting, but I think the advantage of the non-slip cork preventing the ruler from moving when you cut is too good to pass up. It can be quite easy to have a metal ruler slip and make you mis-cut! I hate it when that happens! Keep up the great work.
Even better than cork is fine sandpaper glued to the underside of the ruler.

Jim

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning

Mike

I've switched to the spray glue on posterboard method. After making 2-3 wings, I got tired of printing, and my paper only plans were not very accurate.

Mike