Solved Flitetest Bushwacker cg

ja_ovalle

Hello guys,
I built an Ft bushwacker,the cg was as it was supposed to be 1.75 inches off the leading edge,everything good to that point,flew it on my maiden and was very tail heavy so I crashed it.
Any ideas on fixing this?

Also,ideas to mount the battery properly ?

Thanks guys,
José

basslord1124

Master member
If possible you may have to re-position some things....receiver, ESC, battery, etc. Another option is get a slightly heavier battery (same voltage, higher capacity/Mah). This will get you some additional weight. Otherwise you may have to add some weights to the nose of the plane.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If repositioning the internals does not quite make it then you could add a metal prop spinner, a heavier prop, bigger and heavier wheels or bend the landing gear slightly more forward. They all help!

have fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I built one and had no problems flying it; the plane flew very smoothly. I only crashed it because I had a loose battery plug and lost power on approach, causing it to nosedive, break the prop, and rip the landing gear and bottom half of the plane off.

I was running a 2200 mAh 3S battery in it, and pulled the battery just a little forward to make it a slight bit nose heavy rather than perfectly centered, and it flew wonderfully. As for mounting, I went to Hobby Lobby and, with a 40% off coupon, bought a pack of the Heavy Duty Velcro that was normally something like $20 and brought it down to a really reasonable price. I still have that original package, and have been using it to hold the battery in with no issues of sliding out at all. If you're still worried about it, you can glue some popsicle sticks on the underside of the plane, put the velcro in, and on either side of the popsicle sticks, make some slits and run a battery strap in and around it to keep the battery from moving. The popsicle sticks add stiffness to the foam, so it won't collapse when you cinch down the strap.

ja_ovalle

I built one and had no problems flying it; the plane flew very smoothly. I only crashed it because I had a loose battery plug and lost power on approach, causing it to nosedive, break the prop, and rip the landing gear and bottom half of the plane off.

I was running a 2200 mAh 3S battery in it, and pulled the battery just a little forward to make it a slight bit nose heavy rather than perfectly centered, and it flew wonderfully. As for mounting, I went to Hobby Lobby and, with a 40% off coupon, bought a pack of the Heavy Duty Velcro that was normally something like $20 and brought it down to a really reasonable price. I still have that original package, and have been using it to hold the battery in with no issues of sliding out at all. If you're still worried about it, you can glue some popsicle sticks on the underside of the plane, put the velcro in, and on either side of the popsicle sticks, make some slits and run a battery strap in and around it to keep the battery from moving. The popsicle sticks add stiffness to the foam, so it won't collapse when you cinch down the strap.

If you dont mind where did you put the battery(I had trouble finding space for my 2200mah 3s) and should I this time use a 2208 motor instead of the 2216 I was using,I dont fly that well so less thrust would be the best right?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
If you dont mind where did you put the battery(I had trouble finding space for my 2200mah 3s) and should I this time use a 2208 motor instead of the 2216 I was using,I dont fly that well so less thrust would be the best right?

If I remember correctly (I'm at work and the plane is at home, so I can't 100% confirm) I simply shoved the battery in below the power pod and wedged it in. The heavy duty velcro I had on the inside of the bottom held the battery really well from sliding, and the landing gear wiring gave it enough stiffness below it to push it down in. If you're worried about it popping out, you can put some popsicle sticks under it and run a velcro strap up from the bottom, over the battery, and then back out on the other side of the popsicle sticks. That'll allow you to cinch it down and hold the battery inside the bottom of the plane.

I had cut a hole in my power pod for the ESC connector to reach down through the power pod and connect up to the battery, and then just kinda stuffed the wiring back up into the open hole under the plane. It allowed me to push the battery up into the nose, and the plane balanced pretty good that way.

1563919666368.png

If you look at the image above, you can see that there's access underneath the plane for the connection; I just shoved the battery in there the same way (albeit I stuck the non-wired end of the battery in towards the motor, and the connector part towards the back of the battery bay. Does that make sense?