FliteTest Community Podcast Episode 20 - “He ‘Taco’ed’ the Sponge”

HilldaFlyer

FliteTest Community Podcast Episode 20 - “He ‘Taco’ed’ the Sponge”

On this edition, Mike, Pat and Joel are joined by the Flashgansters (Shane and Heather McDowell @flightgangsters). TEAM LEGIT!

Flying wings are their thing, flying fast and not taking no for an answer. The guys discus getting comfortable under the goggles of these 100+ MPH wings! Also on topic, growing wing racing, the DSA and of course Multi GP wing division!

Links to Shane and Heather

Facebook: Shane McDowell
YouTube: Shane and Heather McDowell
Twitter: Shane McDowell @flashgangster and Heather McDowel @msflashgangster

Shane and Heather - Thank you for a great podcast. Definitely worth listening. This episode was crammed full of fun stories, wing racing, crashing, full throttle all the way through, and lots of information.

Podcast: 020 - He ‘Taco’ed the Sponge”
35:00 story of Taco’ed the Sponge
53:45 - Flite Test got me started. Balancing Versa Wing with 9 volt batteries.
55:20 Story of Joel and then Shane hitting himself with his own plane. @flashgangster
1:05:40 Kind of wing characteristics. Sweep versus less sweep.
1:15:00 Prop size they like to fly APC.
1:22:15 Fluttering wings blows apart mid-air.
1:26:15 Hand painting foam with acrylic paint - Heather.
How to hand paint a plane with the assistance of a digital camera.
Time Lapse of Luke Bannister's Team Legit FG36 Custom Paint by MsFlashgangster
Mountain Dew
1:36:30 How to choose a wing
1:38:05 Resident Crash Tester - going to miss the gap - make a hole.
1:44:10 Heather likes bombing the flight line.
1:45:15 Building a Versa Wing - the balancing conundrum. Balance Pusher Wing - Move motor forward
1:50:40 Horizon RTF Wing places in worlds - is it fair to race a plane with a flight controller? Cheating?

Flight at Nationals
Heather flies: Last Chance Qualifier - Drone Nationals 2016 - NY - Wing Race

Notes provided by HilldaFlyer, all rights reserved.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looking forward to listening to this on the plane to Orlando - anybody know a flying field I could visit near the house of the mouse?

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
Looking forward to listening to this on the plane to Orlando - anybody know a flying field I could visit near the house of the mouse?

Hey Rockboy,

reach out to me via social media, there are several spots around and im sure we can set you up to fly while you are down.

- Joel

HilldaFlyer

That is fantastic! Thank you so much! Wow, you really broke it down!
Thanks -Hopefully nobody takes this wrong, but I wished all podcasts were cataloged. There are so many times when I listen, hear something interesting but don't want to bother re-listening to the whole thing. This way you can at least hit close. If there was a way to link the time into the playback, like youtube, I would have done that so click the link to hear the story. Best to the FTCC.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Thanks -Hopefully nobody takes this wrong, but I wished all podcasts were cataloged. There are so many times when I listen, hear something interesting but don't want to bother re-listening to the whole thing. This way you can at least hit close. If there was a way to link the time into the playback, like youtube, I would have done that so click the link to hear the story. Best to the FTCC.
HilldaFlyer, that is fantastic bro!!!
Not sure how to do that, but we will sure talk about it and see what we can do. No promises by any means!

Thank you for doing this one anyway!!! We will try and give it a go!

Mike!!!