FliteTest -> D&D: Any Interest?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Many here who've read my threads have learned of my love of Tabletop Games and RPGs. Specifically in D&D. That's right Dungeons & Dragons. (see my logo/Avatar).

I suspect that I am not the only one.

I have considered Running an Online game through Roll20.net using Discord for audio, or trying Skype/Google Hangouts again and was approached by a couple folks here with some interest in joining something. Which got me thinking.

Is there maybe 4-6 people with interest to meet once a week for a couple hours 8-10:30 EST and try it out?

My goal is to meet more folks here and have pg-13 to R rated fun getting together to "save the world". (swearing, blood and gory descriptions and scary/spooky - nothing most of us haven't watched) I add this because I know and love that FliteTest is family friendly.

World setting synopsis.
It's been millennia since the Age of Dragons. The Age of the Commoner was beginning to enjoy a new enlightenment. Then came Fire-Fall and the beginning of the Age of Terror. Now, rising from the unsettled ashes, a new pestilence unlike any the world has ever seen, has emerged.

Will the dark horror consume the world, or will this mysterious group of heroes stand together to meet the challenge? They will need to uncover long lost knowledge and ally with unspeakable evil in a struggle to survive against a determined malevolence.

Stand strong! Join us in the fight to end the Time of Terror!

Many of you are NEW to the world or to the world of Tabletop gaming. It's ok, one of my recent players is a woman in her early 40s who has been curious to play since she was in her teens. She took the opportunity and hasn't looked back.

What is Tabletop RPG (D&D): In short it is collective Storytelling. The participants (players) play the part of Heroes in the story. The Dungeon Master/Game Master/Referee outlines the story and plays the part of everyone the players interact with. While the story is lead by the DM, the players give it life and direction and details.

What Tabletop RPG (D&D) is NOT: it is NOT some dark Ritual. It is NOT some Sexcapades meetup. it is NOT a place to

Attachments

• 1560549080066.png
    1560549080066.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm very interested. I've been a fan of other people's games for a few years now. I've listened to/watched Critical Role's first campaign and am catching up on campaign 2. I love the storytelling and sense of adventure and would like to try my hand at actually playing. Count me in if logistics can be worked out.

Tench745

Master member
Wish I could, but scheduling would be a nightmare. Any chance you guys could do a game summary or stream if you get this going?

FoamyDM

It might be, but we won't know unless we try 9-11:30 est is reasonable most everywhere in America.

FoamyDM

scheduling aside, anyone else interested in trying an online game of D&D with other Flite Testers?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
(offtopic) You roll a 5. Uh oh! Your plane stalls. Take falling damage.

You roll a 1. Your plane has flown through a Flock of Seagulls. Their crazy hairdos get caught up in your blades, causing a "flame out", and one of them strikes your canopy, completely blinding you as you rocket into the ground, creating a large crater.

LOL

It's been a LONG time since I've played, and never really had a good DM; I'd be interested as well. :) Just, go easy on me, folks - I have NO idea what I'd be doing anymore. I dabbled with a little GURPS, but I rely heavily on the DM telling me, "Ok, roll a D6/D10/D20 to determine damage/initiative/whatever" because I don't know when to roll WHAT, or how to tell if it was a success or I just barely failed...

FoamyDM

You roll a 1. Your plane has flown through a Flock of Seagulls. Their crazy hairdos get caught up in your blades, causing a "flame out", and one of them strikes your canopy, completely blinding you as you rocket into the ground, creating a large crater.

LOL

It's been a LONG time since I've played, and never really had a good DM; I'd be interested as well. :) Just, go easy on me, folks - I have NO idea what I'd be doing anymore. I dabbled with a little GURPS, but I rely heavily on the DM telling me, "Ok, roll a D6/D10/D20 to determine damage/initiative/whatever" because I don't know when to roll WHAT, or how to tell if it was a success or I just barely failed...

2 - Noobs, still room for more.
0022.jpg

@sprzout You forgot - Roll a piloting skills check to recover. as you are effectively blind, you have a -4 circumstance modifier, as pulling these blackout G's as you plummet, your senses are out of wack. Difficult Check of 20. (Rolls 13 + 6 Pilot Skill+2 Dex =21, and you earned the blind-sense ability because you were trained by a Pilot-fu master who force you to sim blind. you negate the circumstance modifyer)
You pull out of the dive at the last minute! vision is critical so you open the canopy and clean off the wind shield...
dataretention-headerimage-v5.jpg

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
@sprzout You forgot - Roll a piloting skills check to recover. as you are effectively blind, you have a -4 circumstance modifier, as pulling these blackout G's as you plummet, your senses are out of wack. Difficult Check of 20. (Rolls 13 + 6 Pilot Skill+2 Dex =21, and you earned the blind-sense ability because you were trained by a Pilot-fu master who force you to sim blind. you negate the circumstance modifyer)
You pull out of the dive at the last minute! vision is critical so you open the canopy and clean off the wind shield...

LOL see, that's where I would have forgotten about modifiers!!! I vaguely know about that stuff; I'm better at making up a story on how you kill a dragon in epic fashion by throwing a dagger at the one spot on its chest where the scale flaked off, allowing a shot through its heart (ok, I'm plagiarizing Tolkien a little for that, but can you blame me?). That, or something like, "You rolled a 1 trying to kill the dragon. Ok...As you pulled back the bow to shoot the dragon in the eye, the tip of your arrow gets caught on the bow's arrow rest. Instead of the arrow firing off, it explodes into pieces. Trying to protect your eyes from the shrapnel, you drop the bow and it gets tangled in your legs, causing you to trip and fall - right onto a sharp outcropping of rock that impales you. Take a bunch of damage." LOL

FoamyDM

Starting what? :sneaky:

Last night, After (finally) picking up work from THE Merchant/Wizarding Academy, the regular campaign ended floating, in Ship across the the plains. The players watched a number of folks on Wyvern-back closing in blaming the company the party works for, for dooming their City of Cross-Roads to certain death from the inevitable crush of sweeping hordes of Tyrants. "Remit your Cargo or suffer the consequences!"
240px-Ice_Wyvern_PaintRegion0.jpg
<-Wyvern
pteranodon20_large.jpg
<-Floating Ship

233402_20352c1b9d58a3b17e8d448745daef8c.png
<-Crushing Hordes
gettyimages-130900399-1537461368.jpg
<-City of Cross Roads

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
It appears that this thread has died. TPK right out of the gate? FYI @FoamyDM, a Level One adventuring party SHOULD NOT FACE A ROC AS ITS FIRST CHALLENGE.

FoamyDM

If you have an INTEREST in DND (passing or active), please *Watch* this thread.

@TexMechsRobot , This thread has a few difficulties;
1. POSTS happen FAST.
I post mid-day, and it is buried by evening. If you didn't hit refresh in the last few hours, watch or it didn't get bumped.​
2. D&D and Gaming isn't why folks come here, and it isn't what people are going search.
3. No Frequent Bumps - I don't have content to add super often, yet. so it easily gets buried, see 1

I think for a few months I will be posting a brief summary of the story so far, after the Thursday Games.
If during this we get a couple more folks interested, I'll start a full campaign on www.roll20.net from which I may pull a monthly regular to help kick it off. They will know the game, the setting, and the roll20, so they might be able to help. However, I would LOVE to bring together FT - D&Ders together if we can.

I want to stress - All you need is an interest to try. if you are like most people who's gaming experience is milton bradley, possibly Settlers of Catan It is unlike anything you've played, and in my opinion WAY betters. Why else would people voluntarily/excitedly donate 2-4 hrs a week to sit with semi-strangers to build a story and an experience like no other.

Many folks feel the same about RC Airplanes.. after describing what I do (here) with RC, "so, you spend weeks building something that takes about 10 minutes to destroy?"

So to each their own.

If you are here, see this thread/post, and remember the Cartoon with fondness or see Critical Role and think I shou'd try it. Please consider throwing your hat in the ring.

-FoamyDM

Captain Video

"Settlers of Edgewater"
This concept is not fully fleshed out by any stretch of the imagination, But:
Wood = motor
Clay = ESC
Sheep = Foam Core
Rocks = Lipo Battery
Wheat = Receiver

Thoughts?

FoamyDM

A re-skin would be tremendous. 🤔

What do yous do this?:oops: More to come ;)

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Met another D&D player at Flitefest Ohio '19 and we talked stories, campaigns and the game. Great to meet you @CRyan, consider yourself added to the list then.