Flitetest DIY Gremlins

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah I go direct to the youtube page for FT videos. There seems to be quite the delay between it hitting YT and it showing up in the new site page. I have seen it take near a full week at times to show up here.

Been waiting for the nano brushless market to explode!! Want to build a nano brushless whoop like this!

BTW, I know this should be more focused to Emax, but 5250kv motors is pretty low for some of these builds on 2s. I know a lot of people who build these micro quads are running motors that are 8000kv-10000kv. Kind of a bummer to see this new package come out slightly under spec'd, considering it is priced at a great pricepoint!

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Balance for every one. These FT kits and power packs are not meant to be top of the line. They are meant to economically get people into the hobby in various ways. These take out the new persons stress of trying to match parts for a smooth and easy experience. Where you step up into performance gear you step out of the range of balance for "Most" people. If these take off I am pretty sure they will do for these like they did the power packs for the Vesa and do mutli skill level packages.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Ok I think I'm caught up with the presented general ideas and am looking forward to playing around with body styles. One thing I think is a must, prop guards. If the focus of these is to be primarily for indoor beginner flyers then prop guards need to be incorporated.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Very nooby MR question here, but would it be at all possible to do a tricopter at this size? I would think that a decent quality 5 gram servo would do the trick if one were able to 3d print a tilt mechanism.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Probably, maybe, and maybe.

I've seen as small as 200 size (tri and quad classes are a bit like comparing . . . oranges and tangerines), so don't see why it couldn't shrink just a touch more . . . weight budget would be crazy slim, though.

If you never touch the servo, then probably . . . I've seen the tough tilt strip a metal gear servo on a moderate landing, though. There are some pretty strong, precise sub-micro servos . . . Gyroscopic forces are pretty stiff, but it should still have a chance . . .

Dunno about the 3D printed. It can make precise, but hard to say if you can build it in a way to keep the tilt from shattering on impact. Survivability of the tilt and servo in less-than-perfect landings is always the challenge on tri's . . . one thing they borrow from their Heli heritage that quads are more immune to. That being said, IIRC, the 200 class tri was 3D printed . . .

champton

TJ et all,

What FPV approach are you taking? What camera and transmitter are you using for this minimal build?

Thanks,

Chris

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
TJ et all,

What FPV approach are you taking? What camera and transmitter are you using for this minimal build?

Thanks,

Chris

The 3 FT Gremlin designs I have seen so far are using the Hyperion Mini 600 TVL all-in-one camera from the FT Store.

https://store.flitetest.com/hyperion-mini-600-tvl-camera-w-built-in-5-8ghz-25mw-vtx/

FT Gremlins VLOG0057 Image.jpg

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Guys,
I have to commend you all...I LOVE where this is going and I love the enthusiasm!! Just wanted to pop in and say Myself, Tj, josh austin and the rest of the gang are SUPER EXCITED to see where this MICRO JOURNEY takes us all! Keep dreaming big and pushing the limits! We cant thank you guys enough for your support and lets make this initiative a BREAK THROUGH in the Micro scene eh?!

Blessings and lets GO GET IT! ;) #FTGremlin

Stefan

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Guys,
I have to commend you all...I LOVE where this is going and I love the enthusiasm!! Just wanted to pop in and say Myself, Tj, josh austin and the rest of the gang are SUPER EXCITED to see where this MICRO JOURNEY takes us all! Keep dreaming big and pushing the limits! We cant thank you guys enough for your support and lets make this initiative a BREAK THROUGH in the Micro scene eh?!

Blessings and lets GO GET IT! ;) #FTGremlin

Stefan

That is the plan! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Any ideas when stock is likely to arrive? Less than a week, or couple more weeks? Just trying to plan out my upcoming project priorities :)

T-Richard

I am super excited about this. The only problem i for see is getting it locally, while great hobbies does carry flite test stuff here in canada they aren't quick to stock or special order, I am on week 6 of waiting for foamboard. :(
I'd be interested in ordering just the frames directly from flitetest, think that'd be a possibility?

champton

Stephan,

I totally agree, I am getting super ansy to build one. I travel through airports all the time so the micro can get shoved in my carry on easy peasy. I am also looking to buy a vector 150 as well.

So hurry up and get them in stock, so you can take my money!!! ;)

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
T-Richard - You will definitely be able to order directly I am sure! We will have versions on our store ;)

Champton - HAHA I will see what I can do...it is always tough with having other business manufacture the things you want(waiting on stuff to get here) BUT once I know when it will arrive I will let you all know! Also, the 150 is AWESOME... so sick, you are gonna LOVE IT!!

Blessings guys, #FTGremlin ha

Stefan

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Anyone else chomping at the bit? I am. Anyone else making templates and arranging future pieces? Thought so. Here's some info while wait to help work it out.
image.png image.jpeg

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am as this is a far more affordable option to the brushed stuff that isn't so durable for motor lifespans. I am glad I held off on a micro til now. Not having a frame cost as well as a more powerful setup This will be a whoop stomper for sure. Having the frame flexibility allows for a more personalized build rather then a cookie cutter everyone has one thing. This is moved to the top of my to buy list and I will hold off on my next two flight battery buys I had planned to get the kit.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I have the racerstar 1103's on their way along with their matching 6a esc's and a cloned pico blx (curious how it compares to the real ones since I've heard some mixed things about furious's QC on the official ones). Still debating what props to go with, and it seems ~450mah 2s batteries are like hens teeth right now - out of stock everywhere :(

But I slow boated the motors/escs so I'm taking my time debating what to do for a frame. Still debating if I want to CNC cut something or 3D print. May fire up some CAD tonight and start doodling my ideas though....

I have the racerstar 1103's on their way along with their matching 6a esc's and a cloned pico blx (curious how it compares to the real ones since I've heard some mixed things about furious's QC on the official ones). Still debating what props to go with, and it seems ~450mah 2s batteries are like hens teeth right now - out of stock everywhere :(

But I slow boated the motors/escs so I'm taking my time debating what to do for a frame. Still debating if I want to CNC cut something or 3D print. May fire up some CAD tonight and start doodling my ideas though....

3D printing is making these micros so accessible. Theshortcrayon on thingiverse has 2 designs, the swirlie and the doubler, of which I plan on building one soon.