Flitetest DIY Gremlins

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Hey everyone!
UPDATE!!! - The power packs should be arriving here shortly from EMAX. We are hoping within the next 2 weeks! If that changes I will let you all know! But, shouldn't be LONG!!! ;)
Cant wait to see what everyone builds and does with them...they are SUPER legit! I literally have the most fun flying it!!
I designed mine into what looks a bit like a flying saucer/xmen logo haha

Blessings guys,
Stefan

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Hey everyone!
UPDATE!!! - The power packs should be arriving here shortly from EMAX. We are hoping within the next 2 weeks! If that changes I will let you all know! But, shouldn't be LONG!!! ;)
Cant wait to see what everyone builds and does with them...they are SUPER legit! I literally have the most fun flying it!!
I designed mine into what looks a bit like a flying saucer/xmen logo haha

Blessings guys,
Stefan

Thanks Stefan! Question: Will there be any on-site for sale at FFWest?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
USPS has been having fun with my shipment with motors/escs/fc I've been waiting on :( Only took 3 days to get from China to LA and 3 days to get through customs. Then sat in LA for a week before finally making to PHX and has been in PHX for over a week now with no further movement :( So much for the March 17th delivery date USPS had been quoting to me.

On the otherhand it's given me more time to play with onshape.

I modeled up one of the Banggood BR1103 motors as best I could based on the dimensions on their site:

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 10.12.16 AM.png

Except...their details are a bit sketchy and the dimensions aren't fully complete. So..had to estimate on a few things.

Still...enough I can play around with my frame model a bit more:

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 10.20.08 AM.png

Looks like I need to make the outside of the pads a little bigger if I want to use them to protect the motor bells...but I kind of want real motors in my hands to correct the drawings before putting in too much more effort.

Need to model up some props and see what I can come up with for a prop guard still.

Motor model is here if anyone wants to play with it:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f...70083459508aed82ee/e/c3f8eaa889e9d40472374338

After I drew those up I found a few others in onshape...but they don't look quite as accurate.

I'd draw up the ESC's but don't have a thickness for them. I could draw up the FC...but it's kind of simple...

Just wondering if anyone was working on a true tiny whoop/inductrix size (65mm) frame for this setup. I know that there is at least 1 out there, but it uses carbon fiber, which is way overkill for a quad tis size. I want something that I can just print off again if it breaks. If no one is currently doing so, I'd be willing to try, though it may wait until may when I'm done school for the summer!!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Just wondering if anyone was working on a true tiny whoop/inductrix size (65mm) frame for this setup. I know that there is at least 1 out there, but it uses carbon fiber, which is way overkill for a quad tis size. I want something that I can just print off again if it breaks. If no one is currently doing so, I'd be willing to try, though it may wait until may when I'm done school for the summer!!

Given the sizes and forces involved (small, and low), I want to experiment with a folded foamboard frame. It's stupid light, and at the arm-lengths we're talking about, foamboard is quite rigid especially when folded/glued.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I want to use my Inductrix as much as I can in this design as far as body shape, size, style goes but with advantages of better electronics and the ability to customize it according to user preference.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
So my parts finally showed up today. Remarkably the package was still intact (though filthy) and everything in it looks good.

While waiting I did go ahead and mockup the FC and ESC's in my cad drawing as well:

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 3.28.50 PM.png

Which revealed a potential flaw...the USB connector (or the other connector that protrudes) is going to be a bit of an issue. So...going ot have to rethink something there.

I was ready to be blown away by how small these motors actually are...and even so I was still shocked seeing them in person the first time:

20170404_132208.jpg

The picoblx seems downright big compared to these motors and ESC's!

20170404_132136.jpg

Debating if I want to try and redesign my frame idea, just print out someone else's frame idea...or just build it as it is with some spacers to deal with the connector. Looks like 80mm will be REALLY hard to pull off with individual ESC's...possible but more fiddly than I think I want to mess with. So probably going to build it up as a 90mm. We'll see. Looks like I get to have some fun tonight one way or another :D

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You could mount the ESCs on the bottom of the arms.... Print some ESC holding holes in there.... ;)

FYI this is a pic of one of the Pico-X 88mm frames with individual escs:
PicoOwlIndvESCs.jpg

I went with the 4in1 instead
ButtoningUp.jpg

Haven't started on my Pico-Tri design yet, but am collecting parts.

FYI, those tiny motor wires are pretty delicate. Leave more extra length on them than you would normally. I've already had to fix 2

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Well, looks like I need to do some redesigning for a couple of reasons now that I have physical parts in hand.

1) that DSM connector. I could just remove it...but I'm going to use a DSM sat on this build so it's kind of handy.

2) My frame is too thin. After installing the first motor I noticed it no longer spun freely. I was worried something hand bound up...but upon closer inspection my screws weren't hitting the windings but were close enough to them to affect the magnetic flux. Loosened them half a turn and everything was smooth. So...need to add another 0.4mm thickness to this frame I guess.

Strike that...I'm a moron

2 - corrected) I didn't leave a center hole for the motor shaft which protrudes out the bottom. I even made myself a note to go back and do that :p

3) I was able to mount the motors on the "Bottom" so they were a little protected...but if I'm going to have to make mods I figure I may as well make a few more and do something more like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2020435 and really protect the motors. But in a 90mm frame not a 120mm.

4) While I'm doing that I suppose I should do something to protect the ESC's too maybe....

5) I had my FC mounting holes all messed up before, miscalculated where to place them big time.

I was able to flash the latest nightly of dRonin on the pico blx and run through the vehicle wizard...so that was encouraging. But I don't want to just toss this together. Seeing and feeling these motors I'm feeling better about the PLA frame...so I want to put a bit more effort into making something nice instead of just getting something to fly.

At least I got the spacing on the motor mount holes correct:

20170404_221828.jpg

And because I still can't get over how tiny this stuff actually is...a few more size comparison photos.

First with a Naze32 and an afromini (also a razor blade in the background) That prop is 55mm.

20170404_223540.jpg

And edge on...the afromini and picoblx are both the same thickness PCB...and the Naze32 seems downright chunky by comparison.

20170404_223611.jpg

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
You might need a hole in the center of the bolt pattern to clear the end of the shaft and the "C" clip.

I am very interested in seeing how that frame works. What material are you using?

PLA is all that can be printed on the machine I have access to. This frame works well as far as flying geometry goes. But crashing, not so much.

IMG_3325.JPG

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
You might need a hole in the center of the bolt pattern to clear the end of the shaft and the "C" clip.

You missed my second #2:

Strike that...I'm a moron

2 - corrected) I didn't leave a center hole for the motor shaft which protrudes out the bottom. I even made myself a note to go back and do that :p

So yeah...working on fixing that...I got this far last night:

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 8.49.10 AM.png

Not bad for 20 minutes laying in bed with the notebook before going to sleep :D But looking at it now I notice I picked the wrong outline to extrude and the motor protector is too far from the motor :p

I am very interested in seeing how that frame works. What material are you using?

PLA is all that can be printed on the machine I have access to. This frame works well as far as flying geometry goes. But crashing, not so much.

So far it's just PLA. I was originally thinking I'd have to do it in Nylon to make it stand up...but given how light these things are I'm leaning more towards just sticking with the PLA. I may use some of my MakerGeeks Raptor PLA and anneal it for extra strength...but not sure even that will be necessary.

I'm trying hard not to "embellish" the frame and make it fancy - instead keep it as minimal and simple as possible to save weight. But I'm torn on adding motor protection...seems like it may be worth it but at the same time that's a bit of extra weight. So...we'll see.

If PLA doesn't hold up I have PETG and Nylon I can use instead...but may have to redesign a little bit more for those due to them being less rigid. So...we'll see :D

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Did a tiny bit more work...these things print quick so hoping I have time to print a test over lunch today ;)

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 11.33.57 AM.png

It's going to be a decidedly more substantial frame like this...so I'm not sure if I'll like it or not. Not sure if it will be able to print over lunch either since it's more involved. But...we'll see.

Oh...and virtually assembled a bit more:

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 11.55.17 AM.png

And here's the link if anyone wants to play with it or view it in all it's 3D glory:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0...ba3a61f0eb9aca2b9d/e/80e0bec247d0dfcf7923277b

Last edited:

GameSharkster

Thanks so Much!!!

Here are my models for the powerpack pieces. :)

The STL zip contains only the prop and motor models, since the FC-PDB and ESC are just simple bricks.

The STP zip contains all four pieces in STEP format (NURBS).

View attachment 85150

View attachment 85151

Thank you for the 3D files!! I was having the hardest time figuring out the hole spacing on the motors!! The main Emax diagrams for these motors have commas instead of decimals for some reason. With your files I was able to finish my frame designs so thanks!!

Custom 95mm Brushless Micro Quadcopter v21.jpg

Check it out at Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/GameSharkster/collections/custom-95mm-micro-quadcopter

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Well, instead of test assembling my latest design last night I got to fight with the worse nozzle clog I've had on my 3D printer since I got it :p

3 hours and about a dozen cold pulls later I finally got it flowing well again. Which left me just barely enough time to print the frame.

Good news - it printed well and looks viable...but still a few things I want to adjust:

20170405_235206.jpg

Motors fit nice, I had to drill out the motor holes still - but not going to be much of a way around that due to the way I use a nice squished 1st layer for good bed adhesion. Just took a minute to run a #52 drill through the holes and the screws fit perfect. The motor shells aren't as obtrusive as I worried they would be based on the CAD rendering...they still dwarf the motors but there's a nice gap around the bell and the motors look well protected.

20170405_235317.jpg

FC fits...but without o-rings under it only upside down as the DSM port hits the top of the frame. I planned on using O-rings anyway so should be just about perfect. I'm going to use an M3 tap to thread the printed motor posts and use nylon screws from the top to mount the FC. I did that on my 3D printed Angle arm thing and it worked out great.

20170406_083910.jpg

The big problem is I'm really regretting going with individual ESC's and not a 4 in 1 on this build. I'm seriously considering ordering a 4-in-1 for it. If I stretch the frame out to 100mm then They should fit...but I'm not sure I want to go that big. Right now the only way I could fit these ESC's is if I put them on the bottom...which I'm not huge on.

Stretched to 100mm it's not THAT much bigger...and ESC's would fit a lot easier:
Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 8.58.31 AM.png

Just a bit of space for wires on each end...those blocky mockup ESC's include the pads BTW...I need to refine my drawing now that I have the actual ESC's in hand.
Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 8.58.01 AM.png

Vertical clearance is looking good all over. 55mm props come just shy of hitting the FC on the 90mm frame but should be above it anyway.
Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 8.57.16 AM.png

Anyway, I still need to make another revision because I forgot to leave room for the motor wires to get through the motor shrouds. So I'm thinking about just doing the 100mm version since I shouldn't spend $36 on a 4 in 1 esc this week.

Oh - also...this design is about twice as heavy as my first one - it comes in at 11g. It's no stiffer than the old simple design...but it's also not any less stiff. I could probably ditch the curvy "extruded" frame and go back to the c-channels I was using originally and save a few g's...but this sure does look a lot sexier....