Flitetest Foamboard - when will it be available ?

BonBenE

Hey Guys,

since Podcast #49 I´m really excited since Josh announced, that Flitetest will be selling DTF as Flitetest Foamboard.
They want to sell it with various distributers. So comparable with the HK Warehouses you can order from a place nearby you (all around the world).
This would be real great, since it´s impossible to get my hands on DTF for scratchbuilding here in germany.
I even asked DollarTree if I could import a huge amount of it to germany ...Nope not possible.

But after that Podcast i looked around and waited for further announcement but sadly there is none.
I know this is a way-to-go-thing and it can take a while to find the right partners around the world to make this work...
but I´m soooo excited about this, I really would like to know what the estimated release-date will be.

Hope I made some more of you waiting for this ;) and hope someone of the FT-Crew can give us an update...

So long
...and keep up the great work

Benny

HawkMan

In the meantime Amazon sells elmers foam board for a decent price. Compared to what you need to shell out for kapaline board at the photo distributors.

In the end the boards are so cheap shipping cots lone can quadruple the price.

BonBenE

Around 150€ for 10 sheets isnt that decent imo...
I asume your from the states? Its a totally different situation in europe.
Even if they would charge 2€ per sheet it would still be a total pricebreaker...

HawkMan

No I live in Norway, also They're a lot cheaper than that

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DEIQ6M...lid=3UOVLGIG1QB8D&coliid=I1CJSKL6518JZL&psc=1

You'll never get them at 2€ per board, they don't weighs lot, but they're bulky, that means expensive shipping from the Adams factory. Then the importer and reseller need to ay for storage and workers plus shipping out to customer.

Basically the 38 for 10 I linked is as cheap as its realistically going to be.

There's also this 3 pack for 11,but then you only get the black.
http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Boards..._sim_op_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MZFMYV0J5019YTQNB02

Last edited:

HawkMan

Please tell me I'm not the only one that heard this in my head when I read it...

"The Adams Fac-tor-y du-nuh-nuh-nuh" *snap* *snap*

:rolleyes:

I think you got the makings of a marketing demon(cause you know, no humans do marketing, much like lawyers :p)

But now I know what that weird idea in the back my mind when I wrote it was :p

wx9dx

Hey Guys,

since Podcast #49 I´m really excited since Josh announced, that Flitetest will be selling DTF as Flitetest Foamboard.
They want to sell it with various distributers. So comparable with the HK Warehouses you can order from a place nearby you (all around the world).
This would be real great, since it´s impossible to get my hands on DTF for scratchbuilding here in germany.
I even asked DollarTree if I could import a huge amount of it to germany ...Nope not possible.

But after that Podcast i looked around and waited for further announcement but sadly there is none.
I know this is a way-to-go-thing and it can take a while to find the right partners around the world to make this work...
but I´m soooo excited about this, I really would like to know what the estimated release-date will be.

Hope I made some more of you waiting for this ;) and hope someone of the FT-Crew can give us an update...

So long
...and keep up the great work

Benny

Instead of foam board why would you not try coroplast? The stuff that the small yard signs are made from?
I have build many Spad type planes and they fly great. And many Flying wings have been built using coroplast. Look at this web site: http://spadtothebone.org/plans.html

Or look at this one: http://spadtothebone.org/PDF/Sickle.pdf

Jimmy, ARRL TS, WX9DX :)

Last edited:

HawkMan

I don't believe that is very common over here in Europe. If you're going for alternate materials, blue foam or depron, which can be gotten easily and cheaply from many sources here, including the guys who make depron in Germany.

BonBenE

I really appreciate all of your suggestions and i´m looking forward for alternative building methods (Depron, Peter will come up with some stuff...). But i really like the current style of FT designs and want to build them with the lighter foam they do it with.
And therefor my question was when they want to come out with what they announced.
And i must asume none of us knows yet, so maybe i just have to be patient....and wait...or ask someone of the crew...

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
You have to remember they are waiting to finalize the how the foam will be stored overseas. It's happening but the key to this working is to find locations to store what they are sending abroad. Give them a little time to get it going. Working with international locations is difficult when you do not have "eyes on target"

hotwax

Why not ask the Hobbyking guys?

They have their depots on serval continents and they are cheap.

BonBenE

Hi
I just received the following message from the FT Support and wanted to share it with you...

Hi Benedikt,

No updates as of just yet but I believe in the next week or so we should have some news. Stay tuned!

:)

Gryf

Ditto the note above... The part that really got my attention was Josh's comment about a waterproof foamboard. I've passed up a lot of flying due to wet grass, etc., and it would be great if we could build weatherproof planes.

Gryf

philskot

Hey BonBenE,

Since you are German, you have probably found a good source of Depron already, but incase you haven't, check out http://epp-versand.de. I recently moved to Denmark and get my Depron from this guy in Germany. Reasonably priced and very fast shipping.

I'm also looking forward to FT dollar tree board! I wish I had brought a suitcase full when I moved to DK from Canada... D'oh!

Last edited:

lee250

I would love to be able to buy foam board. The only stuff available here is the Elmers which is a lot heavier.

Ffog

Has there been any more news on this topic?
There ever going to be any cheap FT foam in europe? Or are we just stuck with the insanely prized and heavy kapaline stuff.4

For now i have been trying to use tape ad 6mm depron, with all the problems and faults following there.

offaxis

I just priced out shipping a box of ROSS foam board from Pennsylvania, USA to Germany via USPS shipping. The shipping cost 37$USD. This would be a box of 25 sheets of 20"x30" ROSS foam board. So I calculated $2.68USD per sheet+taxes+customs.

To ship a box of DTFB(20 sheets), it will probably be the similar in shipping.

I'm not sure if there will be import taxes and customs fees.

Thoughts?