FliteTest in Phoenix RC (Model Index)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I've been flying around a bit. I think the Otter needs about 20-30% more rudder and elevator to be accurate, it's much more responsive at low speeds in real life than in Phoenix at the moment. Other than that, it's pretty close.

One thing I have noticed about Phoenix is that it feels more like a simulator than Real Flight. Everything I've tried so far is easier to fly than planes in realflight or in reality. Maybe I need to tweak some physics settings. I'll keep playing with it.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I've been flying around a bit. I think the Otter needs about 20-30% more rudder and elevator to be accurate, it's much more responsive at low speeds in real life than in Phoenix at the moment. Other than that, it's pretty close.

One thing I have noticed about Phoenix is that it feels more like a simulator than Real Flight. Everything I've tried so far is easier to fly than planes in realflight or in reality. Maybe I need to tweak some physics settings. I'll keep playing with it.

Thanks for the feedback on the Otter. You're the first to let me know.

A lack of low speed response means I need to increase the prop wash effect on those surfaces. I suspected I would need to do that since Peter so cleverly designed it to line right up with the thrust.

You can add in some weather effects for more realism. I also like to change the camera settings to Keep Ground in View.

I just got Real Flight today so I'll be trying it out soon.

Last edited:

ssoaring

I made two new schemes for the Baby Baron.
Red Baron.jpg
Yellow Baron.jpg

ssoaring

You need the 3D model file and the Phoenix Builder file to do that. But since you asked, I'll do the Bushwacker next!

What program are you using to model them? Solidworks? What model is next didn't really matter to me. Just figured I could lend a hand by adding some paint schemes to some of the models that didn't have them.

JohnRambozo

What program are you using to model them? Solidworks? What model is next didn't really matter to me. Just figured I could lend a hand by adding some paint schemes to some of the models that didn't have them.

I'm using Blender. If you're interested in contributing, you can send me a private message and we can talk.

JohnRambozo

Sneak Peak but for those that own Real Flight - things are happening. This is the Sea Duck in Real Flight:

ScreenShot1464556220.jpg
ScreenShot1464556252.jpg

tamuct01

I love the models, please keep them coming! I do have a couple of suggestions, if I may:

The nnMig is way too fast IMO. The prop size in the model is 11x11 with 18k rpm. This yields a model that flies at over 180mph! While fun, I don't think it's very realistic. I know NerdNic is known for speed, but please! I fiddled with it and dropped the prop to a 9x6 at 16k rpm and it topped out around 107mph, which is about where Nick's was.

The LED lights on the Bloody Baron are backwards. The green should be on the right if you wanted to obey nautical lighting. If you saw the left side of a boat you would see the red light meaning "yield the way to the ship on the right." It was a simple fix in the model as well.

Again, awesome job to everyone working on these! I look forward to flying more!

JohnRambozo

I love the models, please keep them coming! I do have a couple of suggestions, if I may:

The nnMig is way too fast IMO. The prop size in the model is 11x11 with 18k rpm. This yields a model that flies at over 180mph! While fun, I don't think it's very realistic. I know NerdNic is known for speed, but please! I fiddled with it and dropped the prop to a 9x6 at 16k rpm and it topped out around 107mph, which is about where Nick's was.

The LED lights on the Bloody Baron are backwards. The green should be on the right if you wanted to obey nautical lighting. If you saw the left side of a boat you would see the red light meaning "yield the way to the ship on the right." It was a simple fix in the model as well.

Again, awesome job to everyone working on these! I look forward to flying more!

I'm glad you're enjoying them. There are plenty more on the way and I always appreciate the feedback.

The nnMig3 is actually set up with a 10x10 prop, the same as nic used and the in game speed shows as about 140-145mpg top speed. While I agree that is faster than the actual top speed of the nnMig3 which was clocked at 119mph, I think the sim, compared with actual flight footage displays the speed slower and I'm trying to approximate the sensation of that speed more than the actual measure.

If you still disagree, please let me know.

And thank you for the info on the lights. I'll update that now.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Nice Job! That looks fantastic!
I don't know how you do it. Blender really kicks in my ADD. But I'll keep trying!

JohnRambozo

Nice Job! That looks fantastic!
I don't know how you do it. Blender really kicks in my ADD. But I'll keep trying!

Thanks!

It can be pretty overwhelming at first. If you ever need help or just need some moral support, drop me a line.

daxian

Elite member
thank you so much for the work you have done on these planes ....
i am having so much fun with the storch ,i hope i can fly the real thing as well as i can in the sim .

JohnRambozo

thank you so much for the work you have done on these planes ....
i am having so much fun with the storch ,i hope i can fly the real thing as well as i can in the sim .

I'm happy to hear it! Its fun making them. Turn on some wind to get ready for real life conditions. :)

Jugsy

This is awesome, can't wait to load a few up! Should help on deciding what order to purchase the 10 or so planes I want haha!

JohnRambozo

This is awesome, can't wait to load a few up! Should help on deciding what order to purchase the 10 or so planes I want haha!

LOL! Its always nice when you can narrow it down to just your favorite 10 per order. ;)