FliteTest in Phoenix RC (Model Index)

rickp

So long as it's not blue or green. Maybe it'd be simplest just to scale down the paint scheme from your Simple Scout. That one looks really good. Otherwise, I don't really have a paint scheme in mind. (I don't expect it to last long enough to need one. :oops:) I'd just like to be able to see and orientate it.

Have it scaled and flying, but have a question.
Is your version 3 channel or does it have ailerons?

Thanks, rick

rickp

Simple Cub Floatplane Phoenix Model

Here's a Simple Cub Floatplane for Mizzarty.
Pretty quick build as it was based on my existing Simple Cub Phoenix model and has floats borrowed from a Phoenix Tundra.
Added a bit of weight and moved the CG down a bit.
Turned out nice - a great flyer.

Unzip and install the pkg file as a Phoenix update and you'll find "Simple Cub Floatplane" in the amphib list.
Detailed installation instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0315zj/Installing Model from a PKG File.pdf?dl=0
Index of my Flight Test models: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...enix-rc-model-index.27096/page-20#post-376142

Enjoy, rick

Attachments

• FT Simple Cub Floatplane v10.zip
    238.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Simple Cub Floats PERSPECTIVE.png
    Simple Cub Floats PERSPECTIVE.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Simple Cub Floats SIDE.png
    Simple Cub Floats SIDE.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Have it scaled and flying, but have a question.
Is your version 3 channel or does it have ailerons?

Thanks, rick
I'm going three channel for a little while. I intend to move to four when I'm ready for that step. I just flew the model you sent me and I loved it. After my third crash I was able to do figure eights and and just fly around at about 80% throttle. It didn't seem to like 50% very much. Also, It pulls left as it takes off. I don't know if that's what the RL model does or not, since I haven't flown it yet. Regardless it was easily compensated for.

By the end of the session I flew probably an entire battery but I still didn't land successfully. That's just me though. I'm not there yet. It looks great, flies great and I finally got to fly my FT MM Simple Scout. Thank you, rick.

I've completed the list of missing FT planes and prioritized it. It follows in the next post. Thanks again.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
OK, rickp. Here's the list of FT models that JohnRambozo did not complete. It's more extensive than I thought it would be.

I prioritized what I consider the missing trainers first, as the purpose of this project (besides gotta fly 'em all) is to help the new pilot pick their first FT foamie. The three models below will make all the trainers available.

FT Tiny Trainer 3ch with Sport wing
FT MM Simple Scout
FT Simple Cub

Next I picked the rest of the Mighty Mini series. My thinking here is that the new pilot with the trainer already has the A or F Pack or equivalent and can just move them over to these birds.

FT MM Corsair
FT MM Mustang
FT MM Cruiser
FT MM Pun
FT MM Vector

Next is the missing warbirds. Many of us seem to gravitate towards them. We just love them and want to fly them. Here's the missing two.

FT Mustang
FT Spitfire

The next are planes I simply want to fly, and that's the only reason they are above any others.

FT Baby Blender
FT Edge 540
FT Old Speedster
FT Cruiser

Finally, these are just the remainder of the missing models from the FT collection. No particular priority.

FT LongEZ
FT Goblin
FT Sea Angel
FT Dart
FT Twin Sparrow
FT Versa Wing
FT Legacy
FT Bronco
FT Racer
FT Kraken

As I mentioned, the list is more extensive than I thought. However many you are willing to do, we will be grateful for. For the purpose of this project, I would prioritize flight accuracy over quantity of models made. It doesn't really matter if I can fly everything in a sim, if the flight characteristics are inaccurate.

My prioritizing is far from unequivocal. You're the guy making the models. I promise, my feelings won't be hurt if you decide to make a model just because you want to, or someone requests that you make it.

Turns out this is a big job. Thank you for the models you've done (especially MY MM Scout) and thank you for any more you are willing and able to do.

rickp

I'm going three channel for a little while. I intend to move to four when I'm ready for that step. I just flew the model you sent me and I loved it. After my third crash I was able to do figure eights and and just fly around at about 80% throttle. It didn't seem to like 50% very much. Also, It pulls left as it takes off. I don't know if that's what the RL model does or not, since I haven't flown it yet. Regardless it was easily compensated for.

By the end of the session I flew probably an entire battery but I still didn't land successfully. That's just me though. I'm not there yet. It looks great, flies great and I finally got to fly my FT MM Simple Scout. Thank you, rick.

I've completed the list of missing FT planes and prioritized it. It follows in the next post. Thanks again.

Glad you like it buzzbomb. and congrats on your flying progress. That's an example of the usefulness of simulators.

That version was a 4 channel, so it rolls a bit quicker and more axial than your 3 ch model will.
So I'll update the Phoenix model to 3 ch and tune it a bit more to get rid of the pull as well as check the power.

Cheers, rick

rickp

OK, rickp. Here's the list of FT models that JohnRambozo did not complete. It's more extensive than I thought it would be.

I prioritized what I consider the missing trainers first, as the purpose of this project (besides gotta fly 'em all) is to help the new pilot pick their first FT foamie. The three models below will make all the trainers available.
Next I picked the rest of the Mighty Mini series. My thinking here is that the new pilot with the trainer already has the A or F Pack or equivalent and can just move them over to these birds.
Next is the missing warbirds. Many of us seem to gravitate towards them. We just love them and want to fly them. Here's the missing two.
The next are plan.es I simply want to fly, and that's the only reason they are above any others.
Finally, these are just the remainder of the missing models from the FT collection. No particular priority.

As I mentioned, the list is more extensive than I thought. However many you are willing to do, we will be grateful for. For the purpose of this project, I would prioritize flight accuracy over quantity of models made. It doesn't really matter if I can fly everything in a sim, if the flight characteristics are inaccurate.

My prioritizing is far from unequivocal. You're the guy making the models. I promise, my feelings won't be hurt if you decide to make a model just because you want to, or someone requests that you make it.

Turns out this is a big job. Thank you for the models you've done (especially MY MM Scout) and thank you for any more you are willing and able to do.

Great job with the prioritization - now I have a better idea of how to proceed. Thanks.
Some of those models are already in the thread, which points out the need for an updated index.
Would be nice if I could add something at the beginning of this thread, but that's clearly a non-starter.
Maybe the admin / moderator can help there. If not, I'll just start a new index

UPDATE: just added an index of my Flight Test models: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...enix-rc-model-index.27096/page-20#post-376142

Watch this space for new models, rick

Last edited:

rickp

Mini Scout Phoenix Model

Here's the 3 channel Mini Scout requested by buzzbomb.
Painted like the 4 channel Simple Scout of post #385, it flies similarly though rolls are limited by its 3 channel nature.
Referencing the two short videos below, you'll see the difference between the 3 ch Mini Scout and 4 ch Simple Scout.

Unzip the attached pkg file, install as a PhoenixRC update and you'll find "Flite Test Mini Scout" in the electric list.
Detailed installation instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0315zj/Installing Model from a PKG File.pdf?dl=0
Index of my Flight Test models: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...enix-rc-model-index.27096/page-20#post-376142

Enjoy! rick

Attachments

• Simple Scout PERSPECTIVE.png
    Simple Scout PERSPECTIVE.png
    519 KB · Views: 0
  • Simple Scout SIDE.png
    Simple Scout SIDE.png
    460.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Mini Scout.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Mini Scout Phoenix Model

Here's the 3 channel Mini Scout requested by buzzbomb.
Painted like the 4 channel Simple Scout of post #385, it flies similarly though rolls are limited by its 3 channel nature.
Referencing the two short videos below, you'll see the difference between the 3 ch Mini Scout and 4 ch Simple Scout.

Unzip the attached pkg file, install as a PhoenixRC update and you'll find "Flite Test Mini Scout" in the electric list.

Enjoy! rick
Thank you, rick! Just watching your videos, what a huge difference in performance between the two. I've definitely gotta get to where I'm proficient with a 4 channel.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I can't find the 3ch Mini Scout in the menu. I even tried sorting by manufacturer. The zip and the pkg had the same name as the 4 channel, so I renamed them. After update and install, I've still only got the 4 ch. Any ideas?

rickp

I can't find the 3ch Mini Scout in the menu. I even tried sorting by manufacturer. The zip and the pkg had the same name as the 4 channel, so I renamed them. After update and install, I've still only got the 4 ch. Any ideas?

My bad - should have named the final version something else, but easy to fix.
Go into your Documents/PhoenixRC/Downloaded/Models/User-made/Airplanes folder and delete the folder(s) named "FT Mini Scout". That should delete any previous Mini Scout models.
Then re-install the newly downloaded Mini Scout as before and you should have the 3 ch.
That should do it, but let me know how it worked, please.

Regards, rick

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
My bad - should have named the final version something else, but easy to fix.
Go into your Documents/PhoenixRC/Downloaded/Models/User-made/Airplanes folder and delete the folder(s) named "FT Mini Scout". That should delete any previous Mini Scout models.
Then re-install the newly downloaded Mini Scout as before and you should have the 3 ch.
That should do it, but let me know how it worked, please.

Regards, rick
Like a charm! I've got no rudder, therefore 3ch if my understanding is correct. The model still pulls left, but for me anyway, the crazy antics are gone. I can't fly it in a straight line to save my life. Up, down, left, right. I'm all over the place, but it's still in the air. Must be all that wing surface, because much like the DR1, when I get in trouble I can usually just pull down on the right stick and loop out or pull down/left or down/right and up-bank before I crash.

Given enough throttle to keep it maneuverable, say 85% and up, it just wants to climb. All by itself. That may be the way the model is in real life, I honestly cannot tell you.

The model is definitely not boring! Get that left-pull thing out of it, and it'll be a blast. (y) I can't wait to give some RL experience feedback, but that's gonna be a while. Weather is crap and I've got two TT's crash and learn on.

rickp

Like a charm! I've got no rudder, therefore 3ch if my understanding is correct. The model still pulls left, but for me anyway, the crazy antics are gone. I can't fly it in a straight line to save my life. Up, down, left, right. I'm all over the place, but it's still in the air. Must be all that wing surface, because much like the DR1, when I get in trouble I can usually just pull down on the right stick and loop out or pull down/left or down/right and up-bank before I crash.

Given enough throttle to keep it maneuverable, say 85% and up, it just wants to climb. All by itself. That may be the way the model is in real life, I honestly cannot tell you.

The model is definitely not boring! Get that left-pull thing out of it, and it'll be a blast. (y) I can't wait to give some RL experience feedback, but that's gonna be a while. Weather is crap and I've got two TT's crash and learn on.

You should have rudder, but it's controlled by the aileron channel of your transmitter rather than the rudder channel.
That's how most folks set up 3 channel, though I have a friend who leaves the rudder on the rudder channel for 3 channel.
WRT throttle, it's tuned for level flight at something like 75% throttle, so above that it should climb.
And while I could tune if for level flight at 100% throttle, the way it is now is typical of how many people set up their models.

If you're all over the sky, it's probably because you're over-controlling the model. :)
Try low rates and perhaps increasing the expo, which I have at 25% on all surfaces.
And remember, trimmed correctly, aircraft know how to fly themselves - pretty much straight and level.
Kind of like driving a car on a perfectly level road - you don't make corrections all the time.

To kill the left pull, edit your model in PhoenixRC and change the Model.Fine tuning.Torque parameter from 5% to zero.
That should do it.

Enjoy! rick

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You should have rudder, but it's controlled by the aileron channel of your transmitter rather than the rudder channel.
Oh. Shoot. I've been flying wrong all this time. Dang it! I had to manually edit the channels in Phoenix to get it to work. I thought four channel was where the rudder came in. Channels 1, 2, 3, 4. Please tell me what channel is supposed to control what, so I can get it set up properly.

Frackin' noob mistakes can be frustrating. I hate making them, and I just made a big one.

rickp

We were all noobs once, and hopefully continue to learn as we gain experience. :)
With apologies if I've made the following too simplistic and explained things obvious to you.
Read through this, but the bottom line is you don't need to change anything in Phoenix when you switch between three and four channel models.
All Phoenix models (whether three or four channel) roll with the right stick, and channel assignment is taken care of within the Phoenix model.

Based on my DX-6i transmitter, here are the channel assignments typically used with both real and Phoenix models.
For clarity I've ordered them as used on left and right transmitter sticks.

transmitter stick; channel; typical function
left - fore/aft; ch 1; throttle
left - left/right; ch 4; rudder (4 channel model); unused (3 channel model)
right - fore/aft; ch 3; elevator
right - left/right; ch 2; ailerons (4 channel model); rudder (3 channel model)
a switch; ch 5; gear
a switch; ch 6; flaps

Three channel models use throttle, rudder and elevator only; with the rudder rolling the model because of wing dihedral.
Four channel models use throttle, elevator, rudder and ailerons; with roll controlled with the ailerons and yaw controlled with the rudder.
And since you traditionally roll a model with the right stick, the rudder is switched to ch 2 in a three channel model.
But you don't need to change channel assignments in Phoenix, that's taken care of within each model.
Stated another way - all Phoenix models, whether three or four channel, roll with the right stick.

Hope that clear things up, rick

rickp

Mini Corsair Phoenix Model

Beginning to knock off more FT Phoenix models in the rough order suggested by buzzbomb.
The mini Corsair is a fun four channel warbird - really, really fun!
Tuned with a slight climb at full throttle, and half throttle slow cruise.
But who wants to cruise at half throttle when you can be a full throttle aerobat?

Resisting the urge to build these with gear as the real FT models don't have them.
But what fun it'd be to fly patterns in Phoenix!
EDIT: Couldn't resist after all, so built a Super Corsair Reno Racer version.
Flying tip - lands best with 30% or so power. Dead stick landings are too steep and result in a broken prop.

Unzip the attached pkg files, install as PhoenixRC updates and you'll find "Flite Test Mini Corsair" and "Flite Test Super Corsair" in the scale list.

Enjoy! rick

ps: Thought there was a bigger FT Corsair, but can't find in their store, so apparently not.

Attachments

• FT Corsair v08.zip
    254.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Corsair SIDE.png
    FT Corsair SIDE.png
    184.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Corsair PERSPECTIVE.png
    FT Corsair PERSPECTIVE.png
    267 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Corsair SUPER SIDE.png
    FT Corsair SUPER SIDE.png
    209 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Corsair SUPER PERSPECTIVE.png
    FT Corsair SUPER PERSPECTIVE.png
    261.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Corsair SUPER v09.zip
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Beginning to knock off more FT Phoenix models in the rough order suggested by buzzbomb.
But who wants to cruise at half throttle when you can be a full throttle aerobat?

Resisting the urge to build these with gear as the real FT models don't have them.

Unzip the attached pkg file, install as a PhoenixRC update and you'll find "Flite Test Mini Corsair" in the scale list.

Enjoy! rick

ps: Didn't realize until now the FT had two different size Corsairs, so next model will most likely be the full size Corsair.
Oh, jeez, I can't wait to fly both! Thank you!

davidkdk

Unzip the attached pkg file, install as a PhoenixRC update and you'll find "Flite Test Mini Corsair" in the scale list.

Enjoy! rick

ps: Didn't realize until now the FT had two different size Corsairs, so next model will most likely be the full size Corsair.

I can't wait to get Phoenix set up and running so I can put in your amazing work. Thanks.