flitetest sugestion - Foam supplier

eagle4

I am originally from Australia where getting foamboard is hard and expensive, I was wondering if the flitetest guys ever considered just selling foamboard, obviously in the packs of 50 that they come from readiboard in. I'd imagine, that even with the shipping cost of getting a box of foam from one side of the planet to the other it'd still be cheaper than what you can get foam for in Aus, I think its roughly $5 per sheet if you can find something similar to what you guys use. (btw I'm in canada now and have an endless supply of foam from dollarama yay) I'd imagine flitetest could get a good bulk discount on the foam if they get it directly from the supplier (unless they are already doing this), this allows them to make more profit on each speed build kit, and people all around the world can have access to the same foam they use.

Just a thought guys, what do you think?

eagle4

I asked from them ages ago, but they only deal with massive orders, basically only if you're planning on being a distributer

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
MPF does ship worldwide. While it will not be the same size the foam is better overall. No paper or plastic covering. Its flatter and a true 6mm thickness. $store foam is about 6mm WITH the paper. take it off and you are closer to 4.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
$store foam is about 6mm WITH the paper. take it off and you are closer to 4.
No, it's actually still very close to 4mm with the paper. Just checked with a digital caliper and got between 4.3mm and 4.4mm on the Adams I have on hand. Granted, with bare foam, even at 6mm, you will probably still end up lighter than the paper-backed foam-board if you use packing tape as a covering.

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
It's actually inconstant and you are both right, this has been argued in RC airplane forums for years by people with calipers and red faces...it's subjective, just let it go..

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's actually inconstant and you are both right, this has been argued in RC airplane forums for years by people with calipers and red faces...it's subjective, just let it go..
True, plus on my planes, the massive amounts of hot glue applied after the high speed interface with Terra Firma, also greatly affect the inconsistencies of thickness...

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
There's already RCfoam.com, and the dollar tree, that would be a poor business for FT to get into, at least from where I am sitting. I would never buy from them, no need too..

joelspangler

The flite test store sells their version of the foam that has white waterproof paper. The cost per sheet is about $4 USD each, but the sheets are double the size that we get at the dollar store here in the US. Still more expensive, but the extra size and better paper may be worth it. I haven't personally purchased.
Link to normal thickness:
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-maker-foam-white-30x40-bifold-25-pack-flt-2104/p1141409
Link to the thick version for monster builds:
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-maker-foam-thick-white-30x40-bifold-15-pack-flt-2105/p1141410

The site knows who I am and my address, so I can't figure out if they'd ship internationally.