Float Plane FPV

flyin201

I really want to try FPV on some kind of float plane but I’m having a little trouble figuring out how to go about it. I’ve watched the waterproofing epidsodes but I haven’t really seen much on the FPV gear, and especially the camera since it will most likely will be the most exposed. I was thinking of trying some kind of plexiglass possibly to put in front of the camera to guard it from splashes but that would add a lot of weight and complexity. I dont really want to stick it out in the open and hope it doesn’t get splashed or tip over. I know its been done I’ve seen the videos, any tips or tricks?

JTarmstr

Elite member
I really want to try FPV on some kind of float plane but I’m having a little trouble figuring out how to go about it. I’ve watched the waterproofing epidsodes but I haven’t really seen much on the FPV gear, and especially the camera since it will most likely will be the most exposed. I was thinking of trying some kind of plexiglass possibly to put in front of the camera to guard it from splashes but that would add a lot of weight and complexity. I dont really want to stick it out in the open and hope it doesn’t get splashed or tip over. I know its been done I’ve seen the videos, any tips or tricks?

You could put a thin clear plastic in the cockpit window with the camera behind it. A lot of clear blisterpacks use that sort of plastic. It shouldn't be to much weight and it would protect the camera.

flyin201

You could put a thin clear plastic in the cockpit window with the camera behind it. A lot of clear blisterpacks use that sort of plastic. It shouldn't be to much weight and it would protect the camera.

Good idea but I’m not sure the clarity would be good enough. Most of those clear plastics are ok for looking close but as soon as you try to look any distance through them the image sharpness decreases rapidly.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Good idea but I’m not sure the clarity would be good enough. Most of those clear plastics are ok for looking close but as soon as you try to look any distance through them the image sharpness decreases rapidly.

Yeah, I just grabbed a piece and your right, image clarity through it would be horrible. Well my only guess would be to see if there are sheets of plastic with less imperfections.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I thought I saw this; you waterproof like normal, protecting the lens first. (with blue tape or what have you), protect any switches, then you waterproof it as normal. (say with corrosionX or the product that looks like a shake and bake that J. Bardwell covered)

Last edited:

FPVAirCombat

For distortion free clear plastic, you can use transparency paper for small pieces. If you want durability and strength, use lexan (polycarbonate).