Flux core welder

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve got a small Lincoln welder, runs off of 120v, works great. I use it for simple repairs. It’s capable of more if I were a better at welding.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Metal plane!
It’s going to have to look like this-

Attachments

• 1562526547112.jpg
    1562526547112.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 1

Bricks

Master member
You say metal plane how thick is the metal going to be if 16th thick going to be awfully tough to do if thicker there is not a ton of difference in Flux Core welders mostly the duration of the weld before letting the welder cool down. Argon shielded welders give a much cleaner weld ( less spatter and clean up ) and easier to use unless out in the wind. The one I purchased has the option to add the argon if I so desired.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I basically hate flux core welding, it is like brazing to galvanized metal ;) . if anything make sure it has the option to hook up a tank so you can use standard wire with Argon or mig mix gas, much cleaner welds.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I hate flux core welding, make sure you get one that has the option of running standard wire and using mig mix gas. 300% better welds.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
the post from danis morison is likely a spam post given the necroing of the thread and being the only post from the user.

SSgt Duramax

Flux core is shit worning with. Better with a MIG Machines on thinner steel
Ha! Super necro! Honestly, I welded up an entire exhaust for my car and steel (I know) intercooler pipes with a crappy harbor freight flux welder but using the lincoln wire. I know it isn't the best, but it worked.

I know your good welders say flux sucks, and it probably does, but my solder joints were just as effective with my crap radio shack soldering iron as they are with my weller WES51. Not that I would build a megasquirt with a radioshack iron, but for planes it works just fine. Same with flux welders that cost a hundred bucks. Would I trust it for structural integrity? No. Welding some muffler pipes together? Why not.

Bricks

Master member
Ha! Super necro! Honestly, I welded up an entire exhaust for my car and steel (I know) intercooler pipes with a crappy harbor freight flux welder but using the lincoln wire. I know it isn't the best, but it worked.

I know your good welders say flux sucks, and it probably does, but my solder joints were just as effective with my crap radio shack soldering iron as they are with my weller WES51. Not that I would build a megasquirt with a radioshack iron, but for planes it works just fine. Same with flux welders that cost a hundred bucks. Would I trust it for structural integrity? No. Welding some muffler pipes together? Why not.

Try using a gas welder outside in windy condition's NOT. Most of my welding around the farm is stick welding flux core is basically the same thing only designed for thinner metal. I am not that good with flux core but have a few friends that when they use there flux core ( versus gas ) you can barely tell the difference, it comes down to proper setup and how you use it and in what situation.