Fly It Inverted, The Challenge!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Before reading on, keep in mind I only have a total of about ~10 minutes total time flying inverted, that said, read on :).
I took my mini mustang out a few minutes ago to fly as long inverted as possible without stopping. After flying my 2s getting some extra last minute inverted practice on it, I put my little 650 3s in. I will say this, if you ever wondered, launching a mm mustang inverted is not easy and it is very nerve wracking;). I flew the entire battery inverted for 5 minutes and 22 seconds, no normal right side up flying until the landing (didn’t feel like trying to land inverted ;).). Also it was 8-10 mph winds, more than I would normally fly the mustang in.

L Edge

Master member
Talk about impressing flying upside down, if your can do it, try this as a new goal. This is a hit when it flys at the club field. I did a first for me, that is (take off, fly around and land) inverted. And to be able to stick it to a wall and fly away, really fun. I scratchbuilt mine and it took some time to get it right. Mine I called "the other up".

Two goals every pilot should learn after being comfortable flying in the air is to learn how to fly inverted and do a knife edge. With that, you can accomplish any type of flight with the right plane.

Challanges in the FT group should result in having fun and lots of laughs that Josh and company in showing a concept or idea. Competition is who is the best.

Headbang

Master member
So being one who has many 3d planes. Inverted on a 3d plane is just normal flight. Inverted harriers are also just normal flight. Now do an inverted harrier on a trainer... whole new ball game. I agree anything mini in a 3d plane is a handful. But still the design does inverted as well as right side up, just the nature of the design. Personally I was going to do some stuff with an explorer and a seaduck, maybe next week. See what turns out on video. Definatly going to do an inverted hand launch with the explorer. No matter what it will be something on the edge of my skill or out of my comfort zone.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You just made me want to do just that!

Give me a bit of time to finish building a new TT (a plane that I feel like I can control well even with out expo) and I’ll give it a go. Since my first shot at inverted flight on the getting stupid with the TT challenge I had the chance to practice inverted flight a bit more and I think that I have improved my ability to fly inverted.

My goal is to fly inverted a whole circuit of the field and have a good time doing it.
You are a nut case buddy :). I am telling you are CRAZZZYYYY! Just remember do the opposite of what you would normally do when flipping to inverted. On the last go we gave it, both of us were doing the same mistake pulling the elevator stick down instead of up. The same day I went to the field again and had better results just had no one to film it for me.

@Hai-Lee if I go inverted with the TT for a whole circuit around the field is that impressive enough for you or by now you want me to pick a different model to take the challenge with? Disregarding the Mini Edge which is a hard to manage plane even without inverted flight :).

You can use any model you like as it doesn't matter. It is the skill and daring that impresses and not the model you use.

The greater the difficulty the more impressive. I have a number of sport and 3D models which could be flown inverted all day if the battery lasted without any real effort so such a flight would be less impressive than a couple of minutes inverted on a trainer with polyhedral and limited power. Remembering that flying straight is the easy part a full circuit needs a few turns and a "figure 8" requires both right and left hand turns!

Have fun!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
inverted figure eights? i'm game!

hard part for me will simply be getting good video. maybe i can record some fpv footage? hows a TH Corsair, my own wing design, and a mini-guinea sound for entrants?

laters,

me :cool:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@MooreRC A valiant effort with definite Points in the degree of difficulty. Execution showed a true fighting spirit by fighting for control to the very end! There is no point system unless @buzzbomb wants to do his own scoring. In the "Impress me" scale not too bad but the crash did detract slightly. The leader board will be updated and only the impression made is important, (the judge can be hard to impress but every entry is listed in order or the impression left - Most impressive at the top or first position!

Current leader board:
1. @MooreRC - Simple cub (6) - Determination/Fight (7) - Endurance (2) - Spectacle (8) ------- Nice try and showed promise!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
inverted figure eights? i'm game!

hard part for me will simply be getting good video. maybe i can record some fpv footage? hows a TH Corsair, my own wing design, and a mini-guinea sound for entrants?

laters,

me :cool:

It’s a must watch :).

mayan

Legendary member
You can use any model you like as it doesn't matter. It is the skill and daring that impresses and not the model you use.

The greater the difficulty the more impressive. I have a number of sport and 3D models which could be flown inverted all day if the battery lasted without any real effort so such a flight would be less impressive than a couple of minutes inverted on a trainer with polyhedral and limited power. Remembering that flying straight is the easy part a full circuit needs a few turns and a "figure 8" requires both right and left hand turns!

Have fun!
How does a TT with sports wing f pack motor, a spittt with a b pack motor and a mini edge with a c pack motor sound like for the challenge. It’s all or nothing :).

mayan

Legendary member
@MooreRC A valiant effort with definite Points in the degree of difficulty. Execution showed a true fighting spirit by fighting for control to the very end! There is no point system unless @buzzbomb wants to do his own scoring. In the "Impress me" scale not too bad but the crash did detract slightly. The leader board will be updated and only the impression made is important, (the judge can be hard to impress but every entry is listed in order or the impression left - Most impressive at the top or first position!

Current leader board:
1. @MooreRC - Simple cub (6) - Determination/Fight (7) - Endurance (2) - Spectacle (8) ------- Nice try and showed promise!

Have fun!

Mr judge I love the leader board :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
How does a TT with sports wing f pack motor, a spittt with a b pack motor and a mini edge with a c pack motor sound like for the challenge. It’s all or nothing :).
The Mini Edge is a far less difficult proposition than the other 2.
The SpiTTT has a sports feel but also has a flat bottom wing and a minor amount of dihedral so it would score higher in the impression whereas the TT would score highest. (Special note: A much damaged and repaired TT would score even higher as the "Fight" would be greater).

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
(Special note: A much damaged and repaired TT would score even higher as the "Fight" would be greater).
Too bad I replaced the faulty elevator servo then :). But yes you read my mind it will be a beaten up TT, kind of a frankstien TT build.