Fly It Inverted, The Challenge!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
inverted figure eights? i'm game!

hard part for me will simply be getting good video. maybe i can record some fpv footage? hows a TH Corsair, my own wing design, and a mini-guinea sound for entrants?

laters,

me :cool:
The entrants can be with any model but extra impression is made when using flat bottomed high wing designs with substantial dihedral. Ideally the entrant should demonstrate the ability to fly the right way up and then do the inverted routine. It is really the "Degree of difficulty" overall that impresses not the design or the model or the real skill of the pilot!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ooooohhhhh. I wonder if I should use my Spear or my Mini Sportster for this! Looks like fun!
The mini sportster would score the higher of the 2. The spear is a bit easier to fly inverted and so it is a less difficult proposition, (Mind you the pilot skill level - IF LACKING - can increase the overall impression made).

Have fun!

JennyC6

Elite member
The mini sportster would score the higher of the 2. The spear is a bit easier to fly inverted and so it is a less difficult proposition, (Mind you the pilot skill level - IF LACKING - can increase the overall impression made).

Have fun!

What if I told you that the maiden flight of either plane is also the maiden flight of the pilot?

Large part of why I'm building FT foamboard planes is because they tend to bounce when they crash, which means it's much easier to self-teach, and if you do manage to total out an airframe it's not a big deal to replace it. I also have a Hobbico NexSTAR 46 sitting around with a healthy OS 46AX in the nose that'd be pretty boss to use for this, but if I crash that thing it's three months of the household not needing to buy toothpicks(And that bird's been out-of-production for years so I'm not even sure what I'd replace it with), whereas if I eat *$)% with the Sportster or the Spear they'll just bounce. Maybe break a prop or rip an engine off.

Also, the Spear's rigged for FPV and will be flown fully FPV.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
What if I told you that the maiden flight of either plane is also the maiden flight of the pilot?

Large part of why I'm building FT foamboard planes is because they tend to bounce when they crash, which means it's much easier to self-teach, and if you do manage to total out an airframe it's not a big deal to replace it. I also have a Hobbico NexSTAR 46 sitting around with a healthy OS 46AX in the nose that'd be pretty boss to use for this, but if I crash that thing it's three months of the household not needing to buy toothpicks(And that bird's been out-of-production for years so I'm not even sure what I'd replace it with), whereas if I eat *$)% with the Sportster or the Spear they'll just bounce. Maybe break a prop or rip an engine off.

Also, the Spear's rigged for FPV and will be flown fully FPV.
The challenge is all about the pilots and not what they fly. The easier it is to fly the less effort required to fly it! By all means fly whatever you choose and in whatever manner you choose also but the Judge can be very hard to impress. He is interested in the struggle and the spectacle more than just flying around upside-down.

The chosen model assigns a degree of difficulty which is used in the overall degree of the impression left or made upon the judge!

A difficult one to win and no prize really given except the admiration of the judge and the viewing public!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
and do a knife edge
Oh, no! He didn't. He didn't just do that. :LOL::ROFLMAO: Darn it! If someone else starts it, more power to 'em. I've got just a wee bit too much going at the moment to undertake starting another challenge. If nobody takes it on?

You can bet that one's gonna' happen! :p

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Talk about impressing flying upside down, if your can do it, try this as a new goal. This is a hit when it flys at the club field. I did a first for me, that is (take off, fly around and land) inverted. And to be able to stick it to a wall and fly away, really fun. I scratchbuilt mine and it took some time to get it right. Mine I called "the other up".

Two goals every pilot should learn after being comfortable flying in the air is to learn how to fly inverted and do a knife edge. With that, you can accomplish any type of flight with the right plane.

Challanges in the FT group should result in having fun and lots of laughs that Josh and company in showing a concept or idea. Competition is who is the best.

THAT is possibly one the coolest things I've ever seen built out of foamboard! I've never seen anything built out of DTFB that can do what it does. It looks like it's an absolute riot to fly!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@MooreRC A valiant effort with definite Points in the degree of difficulty. Execution showed a true fighting spirit by fighting for control to the very end! There is no point system unless @buzzbomb wants to do his own scoring. In the "Impress me" scale not too bad but the crash did detract slightly. The leader board will be updated and only the impression made is important, (the judge can be hard to impress but every entry is listed in order or the impression left - Most impressive at the top or first position!

Current leader board:
1. @MooreRC - Simple cub (6) - Determination/Fight (7) - Endurance (2) - Spectacle (8) ------- Nice try and showed promise!

Have fun!
I LIKE your scoring system, @Hai-Lee! The fact you can score the plane model definitely proves your breadth of experience and the fact you are the person to administer this Challenge. Thank you for taking it on! (y)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
A much damaged and repaired TT would score even higher as the "Fight" would be greater
Stop it. I see what you're doing there. I've got the new trans set up with two models and two receivers. By the time I can fly again, I should have six batteries, and both my son and I can participate. Tora Tanshi WILL fly again. Darn it! You've just inspired me, you son-of-a-gun! :love: Now I've got MORE building to do!

Really, I think she can fly again. I've learned how to put the servos on the outside. One of the planes is going to have to be F-pack, though. One of them will have to fly off of the Turnigy instead of the Taranis. I can make that work.

Tora Tanshi, A-Pack and Turnigy. Glory, A-pack and Taranis. My as yet unnamed second TT? She is now named "Perfection" and she will be four channel on the Taranis. Got it! Got stuff I've got to do, but it's a done deal! :)

L Edge

Master member
Oh, no! He didn't. He didn't just do that. :LOL::ROFLMAO: Darn it! If someone else starts it, more power to 'em. I've got just a wee bit too much going at the moment to undertake starting another challenge. If nobody takes it on?

You can bet that one's gonna' happen! :p

Here's one practicing descending knife edge and going across the field. Point out of this is to edge pilots to try this and learn inverted. Then 3D will be easy.

slembcke

My go-to foamboard plane last summer was a Mini Scout with an old Naze flight controller. Even after it was all beat to heck it flew immaculately when stabilization was enabled. I probably have some non-ground (FPV) footage somewhere. That plane was an absolute blast to fly inverted, full throttle, a foot off the ground. Watching the dandelions whip past in FPV. Haha! Maybe not the point of the challenge, but still a ton of fun. :D

Even flying line of sight it flew so effortlessly with the FC that I would sometimes do (slow, gentle) invented laps around the park until the battery died.

L Edge

Master member
So I decided to take the Inverted Challenge up with my newly built FT Simple Cub and here's what happened.

I would like to make some comments on his attempt.
I will give him a 12 based on 10.
1) He attempted a flight that is really low in which you can see every gooood thing and "SINS" that he committed.

Given the flight again, what would you add/subtract from the flight?

MooreRC

I would like to make some comments on his attempt.
I will give him a 12 based on 10.
1) He attempted a flight that is really low in which you can see every gooood thing and "SINS" that he committed.

Given the flight again, what would you add/subtract from the flight?

I would try to stay higher and have wider circuits and to fly more into the wind

L Edge

Master member
I would try to stay higher and have wider circuits and to fly more into the wind

Some tricks of the trade:
Is the plane nose heavy? Don't go checking CG. UP high, you roll your plane upside down and just go straight, do you have to PUSH the elevator forward hard or just a tad? If it is hard, land move the battery back toward CG a small amount(like 1/8"), fly, get it inverted and see results. Redo until small push is necessary. By the way, do you have a EMERGENCY plan for getting the plane upright if you abort?

For you, agree stay higher. At least 3 crashes high. The first trials should be into and against the wind only. No turns
Now look at the way you jerk the plane around. Have you tried pulsing the controls rather than yank like you are doing. Think about pulse, if you pulse in the right direction, you just continue on doing. If you pulse your controls in the wrong direction, go the opposite way and do. It is always pulsing the controls. You yanked and crashed. Why weren't you rotating the ailerons (direction didn't matter) and you might have rolled it to pull up and away. I feel 1/2 the battle is won already, all you really need to do is start paying close attention. Do not do turns yet inverted!!!!!
Next big question? Did you use any rudder movements at all?