Fly It Inverted, The Challenge!

MooreRC

Thank you very much for your tips. When I did my CG check it was nose heavy and I didn't use any rudder movements at all. It was also my first bigger plane that I've tried inverted I usually fly my UMX Pitts.

L Edge

Master member
Thank you very much for your tips. When I did my CG check it was nose heavy and I didn't use any rudder movements at all. It was also my first bigger plane that I've tried inverted I usually fly my UMX Pitts.

Do not try to fly your Pitts inverted, for it takes rudder added to do that. Did you know when you compete with a Bipe, it's score is multiplied by a factor of 1.2 to finalize the score. It's flight envelope is different. Again, do the inflight CG check, don't care about static CG. If a plane is noseheavy, for instance it will drop in a turn, did you know that?

MooreRC

Do not try to fly your Pitts inverted, for it takes rudder added to do that. Did you know when you compete with a Bipe, it's score is multiplied by a factor of 1.2 to finalize the score. It's flight envelope is different. Again, do the inflight CG check, don't care about static CG. If a plane is noseheavy, for instance it will drop in a turn, did you know that?
I didn't know that thanks

mayan

Legendary member
Here's one practicing descending knife edge and going across the field. Point out of this is to edge pilots to try this and learn inverted. Then 3D will be easy.

Rock on! I did my first knife edge today, can't say that it was half as good as yours but hey you know what they say: "practice makes prefect :)!"

@L Edge and @MooreRC I think you are on to something. Mr. judge I want to ask that every pilot submiting a video be asked what he would have done differently so all of us can learn from this.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Here's one practicing descending knife edge and going across the field. Point out of this is to edge pilots to try this and learn inverted. Then 3D will be easy.

very nice.

i admit i need to work more on my knife edge. i can knife edge almost anything, but can i bring it precisely down a line at speed and altitude, both directions, front and back? :unsure:

this is gonna be fun. i hope i can get some good video.

me :cool:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Here is my first but not last official submit. Mr judge are there extra points for flying with an 8 yr old on your shoulders?

I agree that you did manage to actually fly controlled and inverted for a number of seconds but the video did not show all of the inverted portion of the flight so the level of control was not able to be judged and so an estimate is made!

Not a bad start and shows great ability but need MORE!!!

Current leader board:
1. @MooreRC - Simple cub (6) - Determination/Fight (7) - Endurance (2) - Spectacle (8) ------- Nice try and showed promise!
2. @mayan - Tiny Trainer (Sports Wing) (4) - Determination/Fight (4) - Endurance (1) - Spectacle (4) -------- Good start and I expect to see you do better and longer!

Have Fun!

mayan

Legendary member
So what could I have done better? For one get some to film the entire flight :). Second practice more and more and more and that whats I’ll be doing.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Oh. I pictured just flying across the front, with a wingtip down and going "Zooom!" for a few moments. Ya'll can have that Challenge! :p I'll get back to you in a few years or so. :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So what could I have done better? For one get some to film the entire flight :). Second practice more and more and more and that whats I’ll be doing.
There is no rush as there is no real timeline at this time!

The time inverted and how far it actually travels is as important as the plane selected!

At least you are entered and on the board, that;s more than most!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
At least you are entered and on the board, that;s more than most!
Agreed. I've got maybe a week before I can even try. @mayan I think you did great. The whole point of this is for all of us to conquer our fear of crashing foamboard, get out there and fly, try something new and scary... and have fun doing it! You and @MooreRC have done that.

I'm mixing metaphors, but the two of you took the bull by the horns, stepped up to the plate and totally owned it! Not only that, you didn't waste any time thinking it over. You both just jumped out there and tried it. THAT IS the FliteTest Spirit, and the two of you embody it. Thank you both. You are an inspiration. I've got to complete my builds on the next day off. Then I work a day, and then I'm off again. Weather allowing, I'm trying it next Thursday, and come what may - as @mayan so famously said (to me at least) "No matter what, It'll be exciting!" :D

L Edge

Master member

Now you will see what I mean when you use rudder combined with throttle, ailerons and elevator. In my mind, I know wind is present and from what direction, but watching the flight of the bipe, tells me what to do. I am not looking for credit, but only try to show you what is possible if you learn how to use the rudder with the aileron and elevator at all times and use throttle management. I use to show my 7 year old how to do this type of action, and within a short time he was always better than I. Only thing I beat him at was with a glider. He hates boredom.

Everyone learing to fly should go up 3 crash heights and try exploring rudder displacement in straight flight, displacement while making turns and do the same things inverted. The next level of flight includes rudder if you plan to do fancy stuff. It is fun when you know what to do. That is why I am into RC stuff.

L Edge

Master member
@L Edge you keep amazing me, keep the videos coming :).

Watch for the series on things in which I developed SLO-MO. One will be "Udder Rudder". This will truly explain why you need a rudder for precise control. Go track down my other projects with props and EDF's.

mayan

Legendary member
Go track down my other projects with props and EDF's.
I’ll track those down and watch out for the slo-Mo series.

I recently understood that you must not forgot that a plane has a rudder when you have ailerons the effects are different and can help in different conditions of the flying.

mayan

Legendary member
@L Edge
PS Check out my last flying with the mini edge here it’s crap video but I was happy with what I got. It was my best ever flying session with that model and had really impressed myself.

MooreRC

Now you will see what I mean when you use rudder combined with throttle, ailerons and elevator. In my mind, I know wind is present and from what direction, but watching the flight of the bipe, tells me what to do. I am not looking for credit, but only try to show you what is possible if you learn how to use the rudder with the aileron and elevator at all times and use throttle management. I use to show my 7 year old how to do this type of action, and within a short time he was always better than I. Only thing I beat him at was with a glider. He hates boredom.

Everyone learing to fly should go up 3 crash heights and try exploring rudder displacement in straight flight, displacement while making turns and do the same things inverted. The next level of flight includes rudder if you plan to do fancy stuff. It is fun when you know what to do. That is why I am into RC stuff.

I will definitely be trying inverted again when the weather clears up and try to get a video Thanks

L Edge

Master member
Oh. I pictured just flying across the front, with a wingtip down and going "Zooom!" for a few moments. Ya'll can have that Challenge! :p I'll get back to you in a few years or so. :)

Imagine up at 3 crash heights and if you understand how to get out of trouble(Hint--first roll the plane until wings are level, then pull/down on elevator and level it and keep speed above stall) do the scary stuff.

Go across the field from right to left so that throttle is 3/4 or more and up to speed having the wings flat
Pull up to 30 degrees and roll your airplane 90 degrees( now the right hand will move the aileron back and forth to maintain it
In the process of rolling at about 75 degrees, take the left hand and give the correct rudder direction some movement and see what happens.
If it is the wrong way, go wings level, up/down till pitch is level
and cool down going back to the start point.
If it is the right way, you will notice that the plane will probably drop slowly and head off in a side direction.(no elevator is used,

Try it again , straight, up30 and roll(at 75 degrees--rudder in see it drop slowly except now increase rudder deflection so it stays level. Change throttle and rudder to keep it level. With the nose pointed up, it will give you more distance to recover it.

Why no elevator? Too much going on for you have to keep ailerons so it's 90, Rudder deflection and throttle try to keep it straight. After you get a feel for that then you can push/pull elevator to keep it straight. You will see that it will fall into place.

Here is the cat's meow!! You will need a good 10+ mph wind that is constant.

1) Start your flight at 50 ft high and come across the field in a knife edge.
2) 1/2 way,(vary engine and up rudder angle) and stop forward motion, still a knife edge.
3) reduce RPM's and change angle and it will drop vertical nice and slow.
4) about 8-10 ft, add power and change rudder angle so now about 5 ft off the ground, it gathers speed and goes across the field jn a knife edge.

Hope you try what I said in the first paragragh. Your 3 crash height and safe. It is like learning to drive a stick shift and clutch setup in your car that is parked on a hill. You will get it if you know what to do.

Last edited: