Fly It Inverted, The Challenge!

mayan

Legendary member
Imagine up at 3 crash heights and if you understand how to get out of trouble(Hint--first roll the plane until wings are level, then pull/down on elevator and level it and keep speed above stall) do the scary stuff.

Go across the field from right to left so that throttle is 3/4 or more and up to speed having the wings flat
Pull up to 30 degrees and roll your airplane 90 degrees( now the right hand will move the aileron back and forth to maintain it
In the process of rolling at about 75 degrees, take the left hand and give the correct rudder direction some movement and see what happens.
If it is the wrong way, go wings level, up/down till pitch is level
and cool down going back to the start point.
If it is the right way, you will notice that the plane will probably drop slowly and head off in a side direction.(no elevator is used,

Try it again , straight, up30 and roll(at 75 degrees--rudder in see it drop slowly except now increase rudder deflection so it stays level. Change throttle and rudder to keep it level. With the nose pointed up, it will give you more distance to recover it.

Why no elevator? Too much going on for you have to keep ailerons so it's 90, Rudder deflection and throttle try to keep it straight. After you get a feel for that then you can push/pull elevator to keep it straight. You will see that it will fall into place.

Here is the cat's meow!! You will need a good 10+ mph wind that is constant.

1) Start your flight at 50 ft high and come across the field in a knife edge.
2) 1/2 way,(vary engine and up rudder angle) and stop forward motion, still a knife edge.
3) reduce RPM's and change angle and it will drop vertical nice and slow.
4) about 8-10 ft, add power and change rudder angle so now about 5 ft off the ground, it gathers speed and goes across the field jn a knife edge.

Hope you try what I said in the first paragragh. Your 3 crash height and safe. It is like learning to drive a stick shift and clutch setup in your car that is parked on a hill. You will get it if you know what to do.
Going to have to read this a few more times and then try it.

mayan

Legendary member
Talk about impressing flying upside down, if your can do it, try this as a new goal. This is a hit when it flys at the club field. I did a first for me, that is (take off, fly around and land) inverted. And to be able to stick it to a wall and fly away, really fun. I scratchbuilt mine and it took some time to get it right. Mine I called "the other up".

Two goals every pilot should learn after being comfortable flying in the air is to learn how to fly inverted and do a knife edge. With that, you can accomplish any type of flight with the right plane.

Challanges in the FT group should result in having fun and lots of laughs that Josh and company in showing a concept or idea. Competition is who is the best.

Do you have plans for this by any chance?

Bricks

Master member
To work on using rudder practice flat turns using the rudder, adding in aileron to keep the model flat in the turn. Do a lot of them to get muscle memory going it starts to get very easy to input rudder.

L Edge

Master member
Do you have plans for this by any chance?

Being old school, just drew this one out on brown paper . Designed it for a 9 x 3/8 prop and just measured it on the screen for its dimensions.
Just make sure the thrust line is perp to the flat board in both axis.

Here is a tip on using rudder to help you remember.
For regular flight, the aileron stick and the rudder stick always move in the same direction. So practice that. That is both left or both right.

Now to do invert, (at 1/2 throttle to learn and up 3 crash heights) the rudder is always opposite, that is, you either move both inwards or both outwards to make the turn. Don't add too much rudder until you get the feel.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Being old school, just drew this one out on brown paper . Designed it for a 9 x 3/8 prop and just measured it on the screen for its dimensions.
Might need your help with that so I’ll PM you when I get there.

Bricks

Master member

Here is a tip on using rudder to help you remember.
For regular flight, the aileron stick and the rudder stick always move in the same direction. So practice that. That is both left or both right.

Now to do invert, (at 1/2 throttle to learn and up 3 crash heights) the rudder is always opposite, that is, you either move both inwards or both outwards to make the turn. Don't add too much rudder until you get the feel.

This depends on the model many airplanes the rudder will cause a roll to the inside of the turn the only thing that is consistent is when inverted you push the tail with your rudder stick towards the outside of your turn.