Fly or Die

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Do you have a plane that's taking up to much space or you spent way too long building it, or both? Does it make your head hurt thinking about flying it? Maybe it didn't fly well on the maiden and even though you've made some adjustments you're just not confident that it will fly well or at all. This is the place to post those "Fly or Die" videos.

I came to that point this morning with my version 2 of the DR1 at 150%. The maiden flight had been less than glorious. I did some repairs, went from a B to C motor and a 10 x 4.5 prop. Even then it took me almost a month to try flying it again. No wind to speak of this morning and the field was frozen (when I started :)). It has an Aura5 in it but I turned it off and started with 70% throws and some expo. Also mixed 40% rudder to the ailerons. The video tells the story.

Shameless plug: It's available in resources https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/dr1-150.286/

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
The Curtiss Jenny fit into this category. I started building in February and put WAY too much into a prototype. With all that energy put into it I waited for the "perfect" conditions to maiden it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: This morning the wind was about 10mph and that became my new perfect. Thanks to @Tench745 for the plans. I stayed close to them except: both top & bottom wings are flat bottom fold overs, made plywood struts & cabanes, stiffened the wing with fishing line, printed a radiator & top cowl, and made shock absorbing landing gear. First time brush painting with Wallyworld acrylics, came out so-so.

Tench745

Master member
The Curtiss Jenny fit into this category. I started building in February and put WAY too much into a prototype. With all that energy put into it I waited for the "perfect" conditions to maiden it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: This morning the wind was about 10mph and that became my new perfect. Thanks to @Tench745 for the plans. I stayed close to them except: both top & bottom wings are flat bottom fold overs, made plywood struts & cabanes, stiffened the wing with fishing line, printed a radiator & top cowl, and made shock absorbing landing gear. First time brush painting with Wallyworld acrylics, came out so-so.

Lotta wind, but it looks like it flies great! Well done.

Do you have a plane that's taking up to much space or you spent way too long building it, or both? Does it make your head hurt thinking about flying it? Maybe it didn't fly well on the maiden and even though you've made some adjustments you're just not confident that it will fly well or at all. This is the place to post those "Fly or Die" videos.

I came to that point this morning with my version 2 of the DR1 at 150%. The maiden flight had been less than glorious. I did some repairs, went from a B to C motor and a 10 x 4.5 prop. Even then it took me almost a month to try flying it again. No wind to speak of this morning and the field was frozen (when I started :)). It has an Aura5 in it but I turned it off and started with 70% throws and some expo. Also mixed 40% rudder to the ailerons. The video tells the story.

Shameless plug: It's available in resources https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/dr1-150.286/

Hey that looks terrific! Success! But I thought you were gonna get caught in that tree for a second.