Fly RC helis, you can fly a Robinson R22 heli

L Edge

Master member
After a session of heli flying, son and I stopped at local air field to watch the planes land and the owner of Heli flight School saw our birds in the car. We talked awhile and he could not believe what we could do(rolls,loops,hover,etc). He invited us to give a demo for about 20 students on a Saturday where I let my son give the demo.

It blew the adults mind to see a 15 year old, hover, and do axial rolls, loops, stall turns, (FAI routine) and auto(engine shut off) and land 2 ft from himself. I also brought along the Cricket heli and challanged the owner to fly it(no gyro). We cleaned out the hanger(so no wind) and I took off and flew the Cricket around the hanger. Then he tried and it struggled to get airborn and was out of control. After a number of attempts, he got it flying around and one time it picked up speed and ended up headed for a toolbox and he hit it dead on. The student pilots got quite a kick out of it when the master became the student and screwed up.

The owner/pilot said to us, Would you like to try a R22 heli? After showing us what to do,( the right hand was aileron/elevator) and the left hand became the collective and the foot became the rudder. So, I let my son go first and we were each treated to a half hour flight!!!! After the owner lifted and taxi, let each of us follow his hand movements and as we climbed, gave us right hand and foot control to climb and turn. Both of us were jerky and finally calmed down, so the flight got to be quite smooth and then he allowed us to change the collective to go up and down. By that time, we had to return and he gave us his practice auto stopping about 50 ft above and then descending to hover. He handled height and we each got to try holding it fixed in a spot to hover. Man, that was tough.

I don't know what it cost/hr for lessons in 1985 for the R22 heli, but I fixed the Cricket for a total of $12. What a deal.

We have pylon raced at speeds of 180+mph and flying a real helicopter gave us a rush that far beat the "go fast and turn left feeling".

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow that had to be a great day for all. I have always wanted to pilot a real helli.

Talk about being in right place at right time huh. 😁

L Edge

Master member
This sport has really been rewarding for my son and I. Got to try pattern, pylon,heli,1/4 scale, 3 D and meet some of the nicest people. Even met some of the world champs as my son grew up. Best was where Bob Granville (GeeBee racing fame) helped train both of us!!!!

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Very cool!! I actually transitioned the other way, from full scale first, to RC helicopters, and it took me a long time be comfortable with helis, even just doing smooth upright maneuvering. I tried to get my Dad into RC helicopters (he was/is my flight instructor) and he could never quite get it. Now, a couple years later working as an engineer over at Bell, it’s been great to get in the occasional stock time on some full scale turbine birds.

L Edge

Master member
Very cool!! I actually transitioned the other way, from full scale first, to RC helicopters, and it took me a long time be comfortable with helis, even just doing smooth upright maneuvering. I tried to get my Dad into RC helicopters (he was/is my flight instructor) and he could never quite get it. Now, a couple years later working as an engineer over at Bell, it’s been great to get in the occasional stock time on some full scale turbine birds.

Are you still playing around with a tilt wing plane?

L Edge

Master member
Gave up on that approach, started to play around with a fixed tilted wing (thirtyish) and see what angle will let me fly as is.

Wing is now tighter to fuse. So tried again.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Gave up on that approach, started to play around with a fixed tilted wing (thirtyish) and see what angle will let me fly as is.
Interesting approach. It would likely do a bit better with either larger diameter props, or motors farther outboard. Ideally, as much of the wing surface as possible (especially the wing tips) should be directly in the prop wash. It is also best to have the props rotating outward to counter your tips vortices. Looks like you have it flying pretty well already!

For mine, I am intent on keeping everything scale. Full tilt wing, variable pitch tail rotor, variable incidence tail, and retracts. Using a KK2 board with OpenAeroVTOL for my control mixing and stabilization.

L Edge

Master member
Very good point about direction of props and flow.
Used that way with UFO (ugly flying object) with no vertical stabs. 2nd project with KK2 board to get familiar with.

Trying to do from 14:40 to 17:43 of video to see if 2 engine inboard would work. Presently I have locked the fuse by rear elevator into being level at all times by using a gyro not hooked into the tx controls. That way, using differential thrust and wing ailerons is the only way the plane turns. Want to see how it reacts. Worst case, put outer flaps on to help cornering.

Doing Stanton's bi-copter VTOL build and having problems with prop vibrations at certain speeds.

Last edited: