Flyer 370

electricRC

HbbyFLyr
I just built the FT Flyer last night (went really well for first scratch build although time consuming) and now I'm figuring out the electronics/power package. I do plan to eventually build the Cruiser and warbirds when my skill level of flying is to that level. The FT crew recommends roughly a Park 370 motor for those. Looking at this fact, and the fact the Cruiser uses two power pods, I would like to finish my current power pod with a bigger motor so I only have to build one more in the future, and only have a few power pods laying around instead of a bunch with different electronics.
So with the background and situation panned out, would the Flyer run good with the 370 equivalent motor or would it be too much motor?

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
From my own experience the best route to take is to have two power pods. One with a hextronic 24g 1300kv motor (also called the blue wonder) on it, and one with a NTM propdrive 28-26 1200kv on it. And also the FT Flyer is not meant to fly off of a big motor. Keep it light, if it is heavy it does not fly well.

Last edited:

electricRC

HbbyFLyr
okay cool thanks Cristopher14. I'll just power this pod with a smaller motor. I also plan to build the delta swappable and maybe a few similar sized designs of my own. I just looked at the flyer power package from altitude hobbies and price isn't bad anyways.

Flynn

From my own experience, I've used a park 370 size in the smaller stuff up to the Bloody Wonder, keep in mind I use 2200mah 3s batteries for most models. With that battery, I wouldn't go smaller then a park 400 for the warbirds or the cruiser. I do like that setup better for where I'm at in the hobby. I also noticed that the field you fly at, for me, dictates a slower or faster setup. I had a Park 400 with 9x6 prop on my FT Racer for the local soccer field and it was great. When I brought in up to the club field, with a vastly larger flying area, it felt like it needed more power. I moved up to a Park 425 and it was perfect for that size field.

electricRC

HbbyFLyr
Well I still haven't decided yet haha. I saw the sponsor add for altitude hobbies pop and thought I would take a look, they have a very reasonabley priced power package to match the original swappables. It comes with the Suppo 2208/17-1100kv motor. Looking into it more I see they have four Suppo motors in that size. The 2208/17-1100kv as mentioned, 2208/14-1450kv, 2208/12-1800kv, and 2208/8-2600kv (sorry can't remember the watts). The last one was something like 130w. Using what seems to be a common 100w/pound (6.25w/oz.) I think that would be a lot of power. My air frame with nothing in it weights like 3.2 oz. The battery I am thinking of using is the E-flite 2S 430mAh (only 10 bucks) which would cut the power down a little, but I also figure after I get the hang of flying the plan I can always get a 3S battery.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I build an ft flyer, and after a while it accumulated beefy landing gear and ailerons, but even when that, a 18A esc, hextronic 24-gram motor and a 1300 3s battery could still make it hover for a couple moments.
:)