Flying 2+ planes at the same time?

Just a simple, beginner question here, how does it work to fly two planes, helis, quadcopters, etc., at the same time? Like when David flies his tricopter while Bixler flies whatever, do they have to transmit on different frequencies or can they both be on 2.4gHz?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
They can both be on 2.4, but because the band of 2.4 is made up of multiple smaller frequencies, the spektrum system can use a coding of two of the smaller sections of the frequency, and they won't over lap.

lonewolf7717

In essence when we refer to 2.4ghz radios we are not just speaking of one 2.4ghz frequency but rather a range from 2.4ghz to 2.485ghz. You will see labeling on radios now days like FHSS (frequency hopping spread spectrum) and DSS (distributed spread spectrum). Modern 2.4ghz radios have fairly sophisticated processing power that allows them to hop around within that range. It does the hopping so fast that the chances to two radios transmitting at the exact same frequency at the same time is highly unlikely. Add to that even if they do overlap it is only for the smallest, tiniest, itsy-bitsiest of a fraction of a second. I am no expert but here are good links to a man who is.....warning, it is some heavy reading.

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum03.shtml

Interesting. Can any two radios be used simultaneously, even like hobbyking's 6ch $25 radio? That's what I have :)

In Flitetest's recent video about FPV frequency they said that you can't use 2.4gHz FPV with a 2.4gHz transmitter. Why is that?

lonewolf7717

Interesting. Can any two radios be used simultaneously, even like hobbyking's 6ch $25 radio? That's what I have :)

In Flitetest's recent video about FPV frequency they said that you can't use 2.4gHz FPV with a 2.4gHz transmitter. Why is that?
Yup 2.4ghz vid and 2.4ghz RC is an absolute no no.....although there will most likely be a few brave souls who will swear otherwise.....they have just been lucky up till now. 2.4ghz video transmitters are a completely different animal than a frequency hopping RC radio system. Video transmitters have no hopping function (although there is no good reason this tech hasn't been incorporated yet) basically you set both video transmitter and video receiver to one channel within that 2.4ghz band and "blast" away. And by "blast" i really do mean BLAST, although you will have a peak on the channel you have selected it will also bleed over A LOT into all the other frequencies within that band leaving your poor little RC radio no place to hop to. Best case your plane will be flyable with VERY limited and unreliable range, worst case it will completely obliterate your RC link altogether. You also need to use caution when utilizing 1.2/1.3ghz Video and 2.4ghz RC as the 1.2ghz is a multiple of 2.4ghz it can also "dirty" up the RC band a bit. 2.4ghz video can also cause issues with your GPS if you have one. The only way I would fly 2.4ghz video is if my RC control was 433mhz which is what all the big boy fpv(ers) use.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The problem flying more than one plane is not the radio but yourself.
Many many years ago there was a man named Jim Walker.
He could fly 3 planes at the same time - controllin one with each hand and the third by moving his head up and down and sideways.
THAT is impressing. It is said that women can do more than one thing at the time but this was something extra.
jimw.jpg

Yup 2.4ghz vid and 2.4ghz RC is an absolute no no.....although there will most likely be a few brave souls who will swear otherwise.....they have just been lucky up till now. 2.4ghz video transmitters are a completely different animal than a frequency hopping RC radio system. Video transmitters have no hopping function (although there is no good reason this tech hasn't been incorporated yet) basically you set both video transmitter and video receiver to one channel within that 2.4ghz band and "blast" away. And by "blast" i really do mean BLAST, although you will have a peak on the channel you have selected it will also bleed over A LOT into all the other frequencies within that band leaving your poor little RC radio no place to hop to. Best case your plane will be flyable with VERY limited and unreliable range, worst case it will completely obliterate your RC link altogether. You also need to use caution when utilizing 1.2/1.3ghz Video and 2.4ghz RC as the 1.2ghz is a multiple of 2.4ghz it can also "dirty" up the RC band a bit. 2.4ghz video can also cause issues with your GPS if you have one. The only way I would fly 2.4ghz video is if my RC control was 433mhz which is what all the big boy fpv(ers) use.

Ok, that is kind of how I figured. Thanks, you are very informative! What is the benefit of 433mhz radio? or is it just so you can transmit video on 2.4ghz?

The problem flying more than one plane is not the radio but yourself.
Many many years ago there was a man named Jim Walker.
He could fly 3 planes at the same time - controllin one with each hand and the third by moving his head up and down and sideways.
THAT is impressing. It is said that women can do more than one thing at the time but this was something extra.

Lol funny! I was wondering if someone would read it that way :p