Flying 3D on FMS

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Flying 3D on FMS

Have you ever tried to do 3D stunts on FMS and failed miserably?

It's because FMS needs special models to do it. There are several 3D models out there, but most of them are only "cheap", meaning they don't perform realistically. One of those is the Mini 3D. If you stall it, it will just fall to the ground slower than a dry leaf. Fake.

Some time ago, I found a real jewel of simulation: The Manta 3D by mamo-models.com. You can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7sjw4ih33ffj7ed

Instructions: Extract the files to a folder, and copy them to the directory "C:\Program Files\FMS\Model". Load FMS, click Model > Load Model, select Manta and you're ready to go!

-----​

Sorry about having to resort to external hosting. The forum has an upload limit.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
I have Tried, and tried, and TRIED and failed at hovering in FMS....but unfortunately the computer that I had FMS on quit several months ago, so I was using my sister's computer, but she uninstalled it....oh well...lol....Hopefully I can get it fixed then try the Manta. I think I had it already though.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
LOL I can sometimes hover for almost a minute, then pull out, flip to normal rates, and land! LOL And I haven't even flown for real.

JoeyG

I've been trying 3D on Phoenix, I'm loving it, cant prop hang as such just yet, but Knife edge and slow flight barrel rolls are coming along nicely.

J.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
But if you compare FMS with reality you will feel the difference.

The only good thing about FMS is that it teaches you to keep calm in stress situation and mostly being able to handle a plane after you lost it for a second or you don´t know its position (sometimes it is pretty hard to determine wether the plane is flying away or towards you.)
But actually FMS isn´t realistic at all.
For many it is enough to practice basics and have fun with it though

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yet it is hard enough to (learn to) keep orientation while flying 3D. I still have problems with rudder, I haven't learned rudder orientation yet. Elevator and Ailerons come natural to me now.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice.

Cant pronounce it more: Practice Practice Practice!
I still have that problem in the air sometimes trying to do knifeedges. "Which way does the rudder go?"

If I am quick enough I try to figure that out in air while going into the knife edge and then just give a gentle touch to the rudder and see which way it goes and then look which way it should go.

It also helps to imagine the plane from behind.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice.

I ain't still got enough!