Flying Cinder Block

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

We love a challenge!

It's time to put the physics of flight to the ultimate test. Can the Flite Test boys get a cinder block to lift off of the ground?

We're just going to use average RC electronics and readily available building supplies found at the local home improvement store.

The motor we used was very conservative. It was a Turnigy 50-65D 270kv with a 20 x 10 prop. This is propperly suited for a 12-15 lb (5.5 - 6.8 kg) plane. Our "Brixler" plane weighed almost 50 lbs (22.7 kg). Kudos to the Joshes for getting this thing off the ground!

<strong>Total Flying Weight:</strong> 48 lbs (21.8 kg)

Make sure you watch to the very end for a special little treat!

see_article.png

Rcjim11

It looks like it could fly with the right power setup, are you going to try this again?

Attachments

• IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
What I like about this challenge is that they used a smaller motor and it still flew!

Attachments

• Tomcat2.jpg
    Tomcat2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 0

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
So, who is going to take the challenge? Maybe scale it down? We have the specs... 

Attachments

• FTShoebox3.png
    FTShoebox3.png
    707.4 KB · Views: 1

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
What I like about this challenge is that they used a smaller motor and it still flew!
That's what I loved about it. That power setup was meant for 12-15 Lbs. Our plane was 48 Lbs! I think dollar for pound Bixler performed a small miracle.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Darn Chad, I didn't know it was THAT anemic of a motor.

I was a little disappointed in the flying results, but knowing that... I'm very impressed.

Attachments

• ThunderArrow.jpg
    ThunderArrow.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Steampunk Arrow2.JPG
    Steampunk Arrow2.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Paul I 1.jpg
    Paul I 1.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 2
  • TA1.jpg
    TA1.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Storch5.jpg
    Storch5.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 2
I think you guys should revisit this but instead of a cinderblock, use a big ol' boombox! Ya know, the ones that use like 12 D batteries. :D and then fly it around overhead blaring some sweet tunes. Make sure you cross the fence into the neighbor's yard at full volume too ;)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I love the cinder block drop lol. That would be soooo much fun. I like the boombox idea as well. You could fly around a hostage situation and blare horrible music until they give up. Boom box bomb drop anyone?