Flying Cow

uberjay

Hey there... I realize this is a really old thread, but my daughter decided she wanted to have a flying cow ;-). So.... we built a micro version out of $ store foam and minus the cowbell. It turned out quite well, but one thing would be super helpful for confirmation for me as well as any other lucky Dads (or Moms) out there who wind up building one....

... what was the CG that you guys used?

I watched the video, read the build page, and re-did all that a couple times thinking I missed it, but I still couldn't find that one important detail. So... if you can remember that far back, or have the cow still I would be most appreciative of that info ;-).

We did just maiden "Daisy" the cow plane at a local event here on the weekend, but it was a little dicey. I _think_ I've got it balanced out now, but am shocked at where I measured the CG. 46% of the wing chord!! On a little 13" long cow head it's sitting at around 6 inches.

Thanks... hope you don't mind me dragging up some ancient history ;-).
J

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Where's the pictures?

Was your daughter satisfied with the flying cow you flew for her?

uberjay

Oh.... yeah, that would help wouldn't it! ;-)

I'm just now working on the maiden video/footage ... will post that when I get it done. In the meantime here are some before pics from my phone.

Still looking for an answer to the CG question. If anyone has that it would still be nice to know if I'm in the same ballpark.

Thanks,
J

Daisy-1.jpg Daisy-2.jpg Daisy-3.jpg Daisy-4.jpg Daisy-5.jpg

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Oh.... yeah, that would help wouldn't it! ;-)

I'm just now working on the maiden video/footage ... will post that when I get it done. In the meantime here are some before pics from my phone.

Still looking for an answer to the CG question. If anyone has that it would still be nice to know if I'm in the same ballpark.

Try 20-25% back from the nose. It's better to be nose heavy.

uberjay

Try 20-25% back from the nose. It's better to be nose heavy.

Thanks Chad. That is where I started - well, actually at 25 - 30% as with the Nutballs; however, my maiden with this little cow was such that it wouldn't take off the ground - zero elevator authority. Tried a couple hand launches and it was like someone had tied a brick to the nose :).

I moved the CG back in increments and even had to add weight (yuck!) to the tail. I finally got it flying with my CG 46% of the way back from the LE. Now, with the wing loading it flies quick and not as floaty as I was hoping for. I'll move the electronics back and try to undo the weight on the tail.

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me on this thread. I had been looking for the actual CG that you guys flew with on the cow videos, but I'm assuming from your response that information may be lost? Maybe the Mad Cow wandered off? LOL

Cheers,
Jason.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Thanks Chad. That is where I started - well, actually at 25 - 30% as with the Nutballs; however, my maiden with this little cow was such that it wouldn't take off the ground - zero elevator authority. Tried a couple hand launches and it was like someone had tied a brick to the nose :).

I moved the CG back in increments and even had to add weight (yuck!) to the tail. I finally got it flying with my CG 46% of the way back from the LE. Now, with the wing loading it flies quick and not as floaty as I was hoping for. I'll move the electronics back and try to undo the weight on the tail.

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me on this thread. I had been looking for the actual CG that you guys flew with on the cow videos, but I'm assuming from your response that information may be lost? Maybe the Mad Cow wandered off? LOL

Cheers,
Jason.

wow! a crazy CG for a crazy plane!
also i think i remember seeing the mad cow in one of the early vlogs in their garage loft thing where all the planes go to die.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
How the heck did you manage to find a thread that was started in 2011 and hasn't been touched in five years Daniel?

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
How the heck did you manage to find a thread that was started in 2011 and hasn't been touched in five years Daniel?

i have my ways.....

i do VERY in depth research...

lets put it this way... you dont want to be stalked by me... lol

uberjay

LOL... not funny so much as pleasing - that I'm not the only one who has / will build one ;-). If you have any questions feel free to ping me here - I still have the cow hanging from my shop rafters!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
LOL... not funny so much as pleasing - that I'm not the only one who has / will build one ;-). If you have any questions feel free to ping me here - I still have the cow hanging from my shop rafters!

you built one? great!! i may need some advice with the CG and motor size.