Flying in Canada

Yoopy

The Canadian regulations state that:

Prohibitions

(5) (1) A person must not operate a model aircraft

(a) at an altitude greater than 300 feet AGL;
(b) at a lateral distance of less than 250 feet (75m) from buildings, structures, vehicles, vessels, animals and the public including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft;
(c) within 9 km of the centre of an aerodrome;
(d) within controlled airspace;
(e) within restricted airspace;
(f) over or within a forest fire area, or any area that is located within 9 km of a forest fire area;
(g) over or within the security perimeter of a police or first responder emergency operation site;
(h) over or within an open-air assembly of persons;
(i) at night; or
(j) in cloud.

An aerodrome is defined in the regulations as anywhere that an aircraft can take-off or land. Since the 9km (6.6 Miles) restriction from the center of an aerodrome includes farmer's air strips, it is important to know if there are any small private strips in the area.

I e-mailed Transport Canada to ask for a list of all aerodromes so that I could ensure that I complied with the regulations. I was told that there is currently no comprehensive list of all aerodrome available.

So as far as I can tell the only place that is guaranteed legal to fly in Canada is at a MAAC (Canadian equiv. of AMA) sanctioned field since the fields are exempt from the 9km restriction.

Anyone have better information? Am I reading the regulations wrong?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You're pretty much right on the money. If my clubs field wasn't sanctioned we wouldn't be able to fly there because some old guy across the field has a Cessna that he flies a couple times a year from his barn. Pretty much kills freestyle FPV, most MAAC fields I've seen are empty of anything you can fly near. Dismal rules. Funny that they couldn't provide a lit of aerodromes, enforcement may be tough...

Grauwulf

All it takes is one 'concerned citizen' *insert eye roll here* to make a phone call and you will have enforcement on your door step. Very draconian rules, but thanks to the mass panic created by the media, this is what we've got until cooler heads prevail.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Sent, though I'm fairly pessimistic when it comes to government actually doing the right thing, or the thing that makes sense.

Yoopy

Recent changes to the Interim Order Respecting the use of Model Aircraft

It seems that the heat was on Transport Canada and they had to revise the Interim Order.

Fly your drone:

below 90 m above the ground
at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public (if your drone weighs more than 250 g up to 1 kg)
at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public (if your drone weighs more than 1 kg up to 35 kg)
at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base, or areas where aircraft take-off and land)
at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
outside of controlled or restricted airspace
at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
away from areas where operation could interfere with police or first responders
during the day and not in clouds
within your sight at all times
within 500 m of yourself or closer
only if clearly marked with your name, address, and telephone number

Here is what has changed (as far as I can tell).
  • Removed the 75 m restriction for buildings and animals
  • Added a 30 m restriction for UAVs between 250g and 1 kg (used to be 75 m)
  • Changed the 9 km restriction for aerodromes to 5.5 km for airports and 1.8 km for heliports

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
It seems that the heat was on Transport Canada and they had to revise the Interim Order.

Here is what has changed (as far as I can tell).
  • Removed the 75 m restriction for buildings and animals
  • Added a 30 m restriction for UAVs between 250g and 1 kg (used to be 75 m)
  • Changed the 9 km restriction for aerodromes to 5.5 km for airports and 1.8 km for heliports

I'm not in Canada, but I have animals sharing my space all the time. Mostly horses, goats, and the occasional burro. That rule would have been tough to deal with.