flying in rough conditions

Richie

well its been a while since i have flown fixed wing RC, but as my kids expressed interest, I hung up my heli for now and returned.... what fun its been too ! i purchased a P51 Durafly model which was awesome ! today i fitted the Fatshark Predator V2 system to it..... the weather here is very bright today with low sun and very gusty but me being me thought hey why not ? having flown heavy Nitro stuff in worse (can you here the justification) all went well and my boys loved it, me doing rolls, stall turns, dives, whilst they wore the goggles.

well it came time to land and the wind picked up, i was going to belly land as the retracts are garbage, just started my final turn into the wind (zero flaps as it was so windy)... then ESC cut motor i was in a tight starboard wing down turn at about 30 ft...... needless to say she rolled in hard.....My eldsest who was wearing the FPV thought it was cool though... "Dad i will never forget this field now"

here is the immediate aftermath
photo-1.jpg

i had to dig the remains of the nose out of the ground, it was sunk in up to the leading edge of the wing. on a lucky note the wing tips did not impact before the nose otherwise she would be a total loss

so
1 x fuselage
2 x props
1 x motor spindle
1 x cowl
1 x nose cone
1 x tail fins (sucks you need to buy them as i epoxy'd them into the fus when i built it)
1 x sticker kit
1 x ESC

$71.00 to HK :(

the esc had been twitchy for a while so its no suprises i landed myself here (queue the pun)

going to fit the fatsharks into my heli until the bits of P51 arrive but i cannot get it to work with my Go Pro

PS

yes folks that is a 35mhz Futaba set thats how old i am !

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Dude, don't order new parts! Glue it back together! That is the joy of foam. I'd also check the ESC before you buy a new one. It might not be its fault... You probably just need a new prop.

Richie

I had heard that the epo glues well with hot glue, but the nose was so compressed and twisted I would not re use it... The ESC no longer chimes up on power up, the servo's still work, and I can still spin the motor by hand so I presume it's the ESC that has copped it...... The fat shark cam also bought it but to be fair it really was pants....

p-air-o

Try dipping the compressed parts into hot water (cooking water) or hot steam... that should take care of most deformations. The surface will become a bit rougher than before. I used epoxy and foam save ca with activator

IMG_3685.JPG

Richie

that is one poorly F4U.... i see iam not the only victim :) to be fair guys i have ordered the new Fus, might try and repair the original one and keep it as stock to make Frankenwarbird hehehehehe

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Try dipping the compressed parts into hot water (cooking water) or hot steam... that should take care of most deformations. The surface will become a bit rougher than before. I used epoxy and foam save ca with activator

View attachment 6371
Interesting- I have a new PZ Corsair that broke at the same location as the one in your picture...

Richie

lots of mass infront of the failure point and this is the first week section the energy will reach on a nose in impact ;) or to get very annorak on you.... due to the design of the wings if you belly her hard she would probably snap there...... or fold the wings where they meet the fus

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yeah- damaged the wing pretty good too.
Putting it back together but the flaps tore free (a known weak point also on this bird)
It'll fly again ;)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor

I've found you can smooth the 'cooked' area gently with a damp cloth. If you're real careful you can even do it without much damage to the paint work.