Flying Lava Lamp

Brandon_G

Representative of Iowa
To Flitetest, I think it would be a fun video to watch you guys build, show off, and fly an RC lava lamp that works! The only criteria would be that you would be able to have the lamp operational in flight, it has to be done at night, since it needs to be preheated that is allowed, and that it flys. Please consider building this I would love to watch it!!!!! _Brandon

Last edited:

Rimmy

ooh as interesting as this would be, the mechanics of it are simply insane. the wax inside would change the center of gravity by shifting its weight. the heat could be compensated for.

interesting challenge. to step it up, it should be done at night. that way we could really get the full effect. :)

RoyBro

Mentor
Also the lamp would have to be preheated to be active in flight. The lava lamps I've had always took quite a while for the inner goop to start moving. I don't think the plane could stay aloft long enough to start with the lamp cold.

Brandon_G

Representative of Iowa
I think both a cool suggestions, so lets lament the rules a bit shall we ;). It needs to fly and work, it should probably be at night, and preheating (because it is a must) is allowed.

tramsgar

ooh as interesting as this would be, the mechanics of it are simply insane. the wax inside would change the center of gravity by shifting its weight. the heat could be compensated for.

interesting challenge. to step it up, it should be done at night. that way we could really get the full effect. :)

You'll see no cg shift if it is filled properly, that's the main feature that makes the lamp "work".

But moving a hot lava lamp quickly destroys it as the wax muddies that nasty clear liquid. No fly!

Brandon_G

Representative of Iowa
You'll see no cg shift if it is filled properly, that's the main feature that makes the lamp "work".

But moving a hot lava lamp quickly destroys it as the wax muddies that nasty clear liquid. No fly!
I think that you could get it to work in the air... and yeah, if it is almost filled to the top, the cg shouldn't shift more that a millimeter or 2

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
A quad lava lamp for night flying over Burning Man...I think my brain just melted from the expectation of freaking people out!