Flying Tank

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Looks to me the distance between the canard and the main wing may be too close. I "think" I remember hearing or reading they can adversly effect lift if too close. Might have even been when Josh was explaining the original build.

I wonder if the size of the canards also make a difference. I believe looking at the CG calculator, that if they were smaller it would move the CG back further ( which would be more normal for a canard design.

Michael9865

Elite member
I re-watched the episode were the tried the three different “small tanks.” Here are some screenshots with notes from what was said.
E73EDECF-E85F-4A1D-8DB4-F8939BA4B92E.jpeg
5AB3025B-A016-4BA6-BE88-4E56A7380ED4.jpeg
9CDADB4E-ADEF-4194-B71D-EA27A1500584.jpeg
5E42D3B8-B83A-4D64-9C19-0B81EB10A8D5.jpeg
They did glide tests to verify the CG. Hope this helps.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Makes me wonder if It was in the video of the trials and tribulations of the shindin design where I heard it. Its late now so Ill dig around tomorrow see if I can scare up any info that may help.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I re-watched the episode were the tried the three different “small tanks.” Here are some screenshots with notes from what was said.
View attachment 152679
View attachment 152676
View attachment 152677
View attachment 152678
They did glide tests to verify the CG. Hope this helps.
Thanks Michael, I followed all these tips. But the canard wings were obviously too long so I cut them shorter. Maybe I should have just shrunk them down. Looks like my canard cord is too big. This would also make them closer to the back wing as PsyBorg suggested.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
It Flew!! No, I didn't get any video, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!! :p

Backstory: Yesterday one of the guys in our club said he was going to meet a new member and his son out at the field so I drove home after work, grabbed my stuff ( excluding said GoPro ) and rushed out to the field. I flew a couple other planes to show the nubbbies some different types of planes in between their training flights. Then got out the Tank. I had made attempts at my home with limited success, but felt it was a CG issue. I placed the battery where I thought it might go and decided to test it out. About three minutes later I landed it right where I wanted too. This weekend I will take it out AND the GroPro and get some footage.

Now to finish the plans and get them posted.

" The rest of the story" When I went to take off I noticed that the ailerons were not responding at all. I decided to try it anyway because all I wanted to do was to verify CG. So the plan was just to lift off ( if possible) , and land straight ahead. It came off so well I stuck with it . Ended up flying the whole flight without any aileron control whatsoever. There is enough dihedral that it kept it balanced out.

What a sight to see it sliding around the sky! The differential thrust was wonderful! Ever see a Tank go sliding around a turn in the air? Now you can with your very own Flying Tank!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
It Flew!! No, I didn't get any video, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!! :p

Backstory: Yesterday one of the guys in our club said he was going to meet a new member and his son out at the field so I drove home after work, grabbed my stuff ( excluding said GoPro ) and rushed out to the field. I flew a couple other planes to show the nubbbies some different types of planes in between their training flights. Then got out the Tank. I had made attempts at my home with limited success, but felt it was a CG issue. I placed the battery where I thought it might go and decided to test it out. About three minutes later I landed it right where I wanted too. This weekend I will take it out AND the GroPro and get some footage.

Now to finish the plans and get them posted.

" The rest of the story" When I went to take off I noticed that the ailerons were not responding at all. I decided to try it anyway because all I wanted to do was to verify CG. So the plan was just to lift off ( if possible) , and land straight ahead. It came off so well I stuck with it . Ended up flying the whole flight without any aileron control whatsoever. There is enough dihedral that it kept it balanced out.

What a sight to see it sliding around the sky! The differential thrust was wonderful! Ever see a Tank go sliding around a turn in the air? Now you can with your very own Flying Tank!
Awesome can't wait for the video!

Daniel-J

It's a painstaking job. I hope everything flies the way you wanted. I like this idea, although after reading the title my idea was - is this guy crazy?

Madspadder

Tank paint 4.jpg
Love your Tank!! I have had several tanks that have flown over the years. Here is an indoor one I am working on, not sure if it will work with the top of the tank on it, but with enough power... maybe. The motor will come out of the gun. It will be controlled with elevons and a flag in back for a rudder.

Madspadder

271474_c3a32cea6e7b81697aca02c1eaee80cd.jpg 82063008_763275167417482_5625965703841447936_n.jpg I think your design will work well. Here is a picture showing the hollow aluminum pipe I am using for the motor mount. I think this would work well on your tank. Mine has wheels in the front with a carbon fiber rod for the rudder ( Flag) going through the body with a tail wheel for steering. The trick is to have a positive angle of attack on your wing so the tank doesn't need as much rotation to take off. Excited to see if your design works.