Flying Tank

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I was inspired by the guys and their flying tanks. I had decided a while back to try to mimic Josh's tank. I finally took the time to make it happen. I just took the approximate size and drew it out on CAD. Then cut it out on the laser. There were a couple of modifications made. Here is how it turned out.

tank 1.jpg

Plans below

Some building / set up notes:

The wings and canards slide over the wood carry-through spars with the foam wing spars just in front of the carry though spars. This lines up the back of the wings with the back of the tank. This also puts the front of the canard 5 1/4" back from the front of the track guide. The foam spacer goes under the front edge of the canards. Don't glue the tank body top in place till all your wiring is complete. From the outside of the track guide to the side of the tank body is 1 1/2". Install a scrap piece of foam under the turret to hold it up off of the body top. CG is 17" back from the front of the tracks. The ailerons have to both be trimmed up the thickness of the foamboard for flight.

Attachments

• Flying Tank 1.PDF
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Flying Tank 2.PDF
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Flying Tank 3.PDF
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Flying Tank 4.PDF
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Flying Tank 5.PDF
    51 KB · Views: 0
  • Flying Tank 7.PDF
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Flying Tank 8.PDF
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Flying Tank 9.PDF
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Flying Tank 6.PDF
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I could only get it barely get it off the ground. It looked like the first attempt on the FT video. Josh fixed it by placing a piece underneath to counteract the slope on the top. I included it in the build but still ended up with the same results. What I don't know was how big a piece , what angle it was installed and what the final CG ended up being. Mine has the standard FT "C" motors with 30amp speed controllers. Wasn't sure this would be enough, but it turned out it was plenty of speed... not excessive, but enough.

Flight attempts....

Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I brought it home an did some experimenting with a larger plate underneath. After a a few tries and a couple different renditions, I did manage to get it in the air in my side yard. ( no proof as I didn't think to get the GoPro going. ) Based on that (short) flight , I made another bottom plate and will test it out tomorrow.

mach1 rc

Master member
I could only get it barely get it off the ground. It looked like the first attempt on the FT video. Josh fixed it by placing a piece underneath to counteract the slope on the top. I included it in the build but still ended up with the same results. What I don't know was how big a piece , what angle it was installed and what the final CG ended up being. Mine has the standard FT "C" motors with 30amp speed controllers. Wasn't sure this would be enough, but it turned out it was plenty of speed... not excessive, but enough.

Flight attempts....

That's so cool

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Well, the bad news is that I came down with a cold and didn't get the testing done I wanted to.:sick: The good news is I was able to work on the plans. CAD is good for enlarging ... and reducing the size of objects. So I took the time to create a micro tank. :)

Micro Tank 4.jpg

Micro Tank 5.jpg

Micro Tank 6.jpg

Hopefully I will be filling better soon and can prove out the flying tank and finish the plans.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well, the bad news is that I came down with a cold and didn't get the testing done I wanted to.:sick: The good news is I was able to work on the plans. CAD is good for enlarging ... and reducing the size of objects. So I took the time to create a micro tank. :)

View attachment 152667

View attachment 152669

View attachment 152670

Hopefully I will be filling better soon and can prove out the flying tank and finish the plans.
That baby tank is so cute, I love the little props! I hope you get well soon!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looks to me the distance between the canard and the main wing may be too close. I "think" I remember hearing or reading they can adversly effect lift if too close. Might have even been when Josh was explaining the original build.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Looks to me the distance between the canard and the main wing may be too close. I "think" I remember hearing or reading they can adversly effect lift if too close. Might have even been when Josh was explaining the original build.
That might be something to try. I did the CG calculator this evening, (should have done it before), It acts like the aircraft is nose heavy, but according to the calculator its tail heavy. I will look back at Josh's and see if I can get a dimension on the distance between them. Thanks.