"Flying the wing" trainer.

Sykoitk_

I've mostly been flying smaller planes and have a solid grasp on 4 channel aircraft control. Mostly standard sized FT designs and nerdnic's equivalents, with some ultra-micros as well. Basically planes where you can just pump the throttle and get out of trouble pretty easily. I JUST got the E-flight 1.2m T-28 Trojan and after a bit of a tumble I've decided I'm not quite ready for that much responsibility just yet.

I was flying along a field and noticed myself drifting a little to close to a treeline. I instinctively started lowering the throttle to reduce the approach speed, which was mistake number 1. I did however try and keep movements slow and methodical to get turned around. It started to lightly stall towards the trees and I added power quickly to regain control. After rolling it back over it then heavily stalled towards the trees and you know the rest. Lesson learned, bigger planes fly with their wings, where smaller planes fly with their motors.

Before I get some spare parts I want to know what I can do to get some practice handling higher energy and higher wing-loaded planes without having that much money for repairs (I.E. scaled up DTFB designs preferred). What sort of designs would you recommend for this?

In the meantime I'm going to build a nerdnic design and use the lower-power system to try and force myself to stop relying on power so much.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You could build yourself a Spitfire, Mustang or Even a MIG 3 as they will give you an experience closer to that of the Trojan. Just add landing gear if you want higher wing loading!

Just a thought!

Have fun!

Sykoitk_

My last build was a MiG-3 from FliteTest and I have to say there's a bit too big of a difference to equate the two quite like that. That's the class of plane I was talking about when I said "standard" so I apologize if that was a bit unclear

I'm wanting to do a Nerdnic build since the wings aren't quite as stable as the undercambered FT wings. I've done the Ki-61 build so i am at least familiar with building his speedwings, but my shotty motor mounting solution didn't let me get experience with it too much before it came spiraling down

I'll probably finish up the P-39 build I'm doing right now and reduce the throttle range a bit to purposely close the flight envelope while learning to deal with tip stall tendency.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
There’s definitely a ‘feel’ each plane has that you’ll have to be able to read in order to fly well. This will come as a skill overtime as you get more hours in the air. Practicing on my designs with the speedwing is a good idea as they will handle more scale compared to an FT plane. Once you get a handle for a real wing, the undercamber wings just aren’t as fun, so be warned haha.

With that said, my nnP-39 is probably the most likely to tip stall out of all my designs. So if you can master that at slow speed, then you’ll be set :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My last build was a MiG-3 from FliteTest and I have to say there's a bit too big of a difference to equate the two quite like that. That's the class of plane I was talking about when I said "standard" so I apologize if that was a bit unclear

I'm wanting to do a Nerdnic build since the wings aren't quite as stable as the undercambered FT wings. I've done the Ki-61 build so i am at least familiar with building his speedwings, but my shotty motor mounting solution didn't let me get experience with it too much before it came spiraling down

I'll probably finish up the P-39 build I'm doing right now and reduce the throttle range a bit to purposely close the flight envelope while learning to deal with tip stall tendency.
You do not need to worry about the undercamber as it is easily removed. See; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/balsa-foamboard-test-build-ft-spitfire.32734/page-5 Post #86.

It still flies quite well. You would require an appropriate shrink covering though!

have fun!