Flying wing tips needed

Mitchell

My friend and i are going to design and build our own wing using the swappable concept just to burn some time during summer. We both have basic knowledge and experience with rc flying but we just need a few tips about things that are likely to go wrong and how to fix them. Any tips you can share are greatly appreciated.

TehMaxwell

Tales of a Rookie
As sciteach says, CG is King! This is the same for all planes but especially for wings, even two cm's off the correct place can cause you serious problems. A suggestion from me would be that, if the plane flies but feels nose heavy/tail heavy then increase/decrease the reflex. Once you have the CG correct then you can make fine tuned adjustments with reflex (reflex is just putting in permanent up elevator, as wings are draggy and don't have the tail surfaces as such), basically just trim the plane out.

Other than that make sure you use fairly big vert stabs if you are going to fly the plane fast. Wings tend to have a rocking yaw motion at high speeds if the vert stabs cannot compensate enough. This can cause you problems when landing.

Make a build thread when you start, I would love to see how this project develops! Good luck and have fun!

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I'll be building my first flying wing soon. Came across this online calculator. Not sure if it will help you but I liked that you could use it to enter sections of the wing and it does the math for you.
http://wingcgcalc.bruder.com.br/en_US/?#

Maybe someone here has used it before and can tell you more.

earthsciteach

I haven't used this one, but I see it is based on the one that I normally use. I plugged numbers in based on the flying wing I am currently tweaking and it provided the same answers. Looks like its a good one. Thanks for posting!

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I haven't used this one, but I see it is based on the one that I normally use. I plugged numbers in based on the flying wing I am currently tweaking and it provided the same answers. Looks like its a good one. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for confirming it works.