flying with lipos

zachmanf

Hey all! Im new around here, and to the rc world in general, and was wondering if I could get some tips on flying to other countries with my lipos. Im planning on going to spain this summer, and I wanted to bring my phantom 3 with 2 batteries. Anyone know the tsa's rules about drones? Furthermore, how about spain's drone laws? Thanks in advance,

Zach

Planiac01

I don't know about Spain, But for the USA, I would have each battery in its own separate LIPO bag. The Flitetest ones are great because they have the qualifications already printed on them. Also, warn security that you have batteries in your bags, not bombs.

Revere

Not sure about Spain but this is something you will need to check - many countries require you to be registered to transmit even on "hobby" frequencies, the fee is usually tiny (like 5€ paid at a hobby store) better to just pay it and not end up with a much larger fine if that is the case. Also some places require you to have insurance for models over a certain weight/size, again a tiny fee but better to have and if you are a member of a flying club your club insurance might cover you even outside your country, if you have club insurance check the small print.

Last edited:

Amcknight31

I don't know about Spain, But for the USA, I would have each battery in its own separate LIPO bag. The Flitetest ones are great because they have the qualifications already printed on them. Also, warn security that you have batteries in your bags, not bombs.

I agree, trainiac. I heard someone was held up for a few hours because they hadn't had the right protection for EACH lipo. I recommend that you call ahead too.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
I agree, trainiac. I heard someone was held up for a few hours because they hadn't had the right protection for EACH lipo. I recommend that you call ahead too.

In the US at least you cannot put Lipos in checked baggage. You can only take Lipos as carry-on and there are limitations on the total mAH of the batteries you can carry.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/06/travel-tips-tuesday-safely-packing.html

This probably limits what you can take if boarding a plane in the US

If traveling internationally I suggest checking with airlines you intend to travel with as they should know the local restrictions and may have their own rules.