flying with trim

Ranger_107

Elite member
I was wondering if it would be possible to fly with only trim.
I personally don't want to fly my plane with only trim, I just want to know if it is possible

FDS

Elite member
Not really. The trims are much finer than the sticks and don’t give you full channel movement. You also need to move multiple channels at once when flying, which is much harder with the trim tabs.
Try it in a simultor!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I was wondering if it would be possible to fly with only trim.
I personally don't want to fly my plane with only trim, I just want to know if it is possible

You're talking about using trim adjustments to move your control surfaces, instead of the control sticks on your transmitter? In theory, it's possible, but in practice, not likely. the movements are too little and too slow to actually control it.

If you want to try it, i'd definitely recommend attempting it in a simulator first.

Piotrsko

Master member
If it glides decent on its own, then yes you could in a big place no wind. I like @CarolineTyler suggestion.

Old time sliders only moved the centerpoint on the servo. Digital modern stuff can go full throw

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
If it glides decent on its own, then yes you could in a big place no wind. I like @CarolineTyler suggestion.

Old time sliders only moved the centerpoint on the servo. Digital modern stuff can go full throw
Mind you, if you want to try that suggestion of mine, do that via a switch so when it goes wonky you can go back to full throws easily and hopefully save your pride and joy ;)

basslord1124

Master member
I'd imagine it'd be difficult since the movements are much slower and more precise. Probably almost doable on something like a slow flying glider.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'd imagine it'd be difficult since the movements are much slower and more precise. Probably almost doable on something like a slow flying glider.

LOL actually, you need MORE throw on a slow flying glider than on a fast aircraft like a hotliner. That's why guys set up different rates for things like 3D flight and IMAC flight - that way, if you're flying fast and trying to do a more precision maneuver, you can throw it into a specific rate with lower throws, but if you're trying to do high alpha slow flight, you may need that high throw capability to give more control.

All this said, I myself wouldn't do it in real life. Too much of a chance to crash, or worse, injure someone...Give it a shot on a sim first; you'll see how it can go wrong fairly quickly, and there's no chance of injuring someone or having to repair your plane if you can't keep it under control.

quorneng

Master member
Fly with trims only?
Of course you can if it is a stable reasonably slow flying plane that is well set up to fly straight and level hands off. ;)
You are likely to need more than the trim for steering but in calm conditions you may have to touch the elevator or throttle for long periods using just one trim click up or down now and then to maintain the desired height.
Interesting to achieve but rather boring after a while.