Flysky FS-i6X Firmware upgrade problem

messyhead

Hi. Has anyone who has this Tx been able to upgrade the firmware from the Flysky website? I get an error about a missing DLL file.

I've read a lot about custom firmware for the FS-i6, but not for the Tx I have, and I'm not sure if that custom firmware works on the i6X as well.

FDS

Elite member
What do you need the custom firmware for? I am a firm believer in “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” and messing with the firmware is a good way to brick the TX.

kilroy07

Legendary member
The custom firmware was to open up all 10 channels on the i6 and to make it behave like the i6x.

I’m going to go with @FDS here, if it ain’t broke...

I’ve Got two of the i6x myself and I’m not even sure which version they may be (I can check if your curious.)

messyhead

I don't need the custom firmware, I was trying to upgrade the official firmware.

Sorry if my post seemed to suggest I was wanting to install the custom one, I just meant that whenever I search on forums or google about the firmware, most posts are to do with the custom one.

FDS

Elite member
What’s wrong with the current official one? If the TX turns on, binds, and works well on all 6 channels then that’s all you need it to do. Being a version or two behind is fine if it works!
If you can’t find the official firmware upgrade easily then I would definitely leave it well alone.

messyhead

Ok, fair enough. As someone that works in the tech industry, if I see an update available for some hardware, I usually take it.

It would be nice if they documented what had changed though, but I'll just leave it as it is.

FDS

Elite member
If you want to really have fun with your TX like you would a good computer build then OpenTX is probably one of the most flexible and well documented systems available. When you get some more flying under your belt it might be worth a look, there’s several good TX’s that run it for well under $200 or less if you buy second hand.
With the cheaper manufacturers lack of documentation is often a problem, fortunately there’s lots of knowledgeable people here that can help, I always ask around now before doing any updates, as not all of them are beneficial.

CROSSBOLT

You guys are the first bright light seen on this!

I tried a firmware update on a fresh FS-i6X controller (operational with fresh Duracels) and the update BRICKED the thing! No power up, no LCD screen and no beeps. No internal components visibly smoked and power switch is operating by voltage being present downstream of switch.

Is there a forced turn on procedure? Any suggestions (besides "get lost!" Har, har!)?

messyhead

You guys are the first bright light seen on this!

I tried a firmware update on a fresh FS-i6X controller (operational with fresh Duracels) and the update BRICKED the thing! No power up, no LCD screen and no beeps. No internal components visibly smoked and power switch is operating by voltage being present downstream of switch.

Is there a forced turn on procedure? Any suggestions (besides "get lost!" Har, har!)?

Can you flash a custom firmware on it and see of that revives it?

messyhead

Oh yeah, that might help. I didn't realise it was even turning on, sorry.

Is it recognised when you plug it into your pc?

CROSSBOLT

Oh yeah, that might help. I didn't realise it was even turning on, sorry.

Is it recognised when you plug it into your pc?
The computer beeps when the controller power switch is turned on, kinda a series of rising tone beeps. Then descending tone beeps when turned off. No other reactions noted.

Additionally, I have two of these controllers, one operational one not. The one that works can control a flight simulator on a Samsung tablet. The other one is dead to the simulator.

messyhead

Well if the pc recognises it, then it might be possible to flash it again. You could try contacting flysky and see if they can help, or maybe you've tried that.

CROSSBOLT

Well if the pc recognises it, then it might be possible to flash it again. You could try contacting flysky and see if they can help, or maybe you've tried that.
Tried that. So far no answer.
Did I tell you I have two of these controllers? Well, I do. And I am NOT gonna try to update the one that works!